2020 Shimano Twin Power FD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

2020 Shimano Twin Power FD

Post by bwjay » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Has anyone gotten this reel yet? Interested in what you think. Matt Allen at TB said he's baffled why no one is talking about it, as he thinks it's kind of like a "budget Stella". There are some sales going on right now that make me want to try one out!

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2020 Shimano Twin Power FD

Post by Revofisher » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:46 pm

hello bwjay im also wanting to try this reel if you dont mind me asking who has a sale or deal on these that you know of? im wanting to do a comparison on this reel and the dawia certate lt which i own already.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:23 am

I'm also interested in what others opinion are who have used one on the water.

I received my 2020 Twin Power 2500FD a week ago, but haven't used it on the water yet... trying to follow the national/state self-isolation guidelines. Also waiting on a preordered 2020 Metanium 150 HGB that's on backorder too. :D

My first impression is it will be a fantastic reel. Compared to my Sustain 3000 FG the first thing I noticed is how much smoother and quieter it is when cranking, impressively so. Fit and finish is very good and it's made in Japan. It has a solid handle that screws directly into the body without the pivoting joint/knuckle used for storage.

This will be my first Shimano spinning reel that does not have the Maintenance port or Anti-Reverse, I'll miss them both.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:15 am

Mine finally came in today, and upon first unboxing, it was buttery smooth with no rubbing noise or anything. Then the guy at the shop was kind enough to spool it with some line I brought in. I said thanks, took it home, and put the handle on to mount it on a rod and check the balance. I was displeased to find that it now had the same rubbing sound (presumably from the handle) that my first 2 Stradic Ci4+ had. I had to go through 2 before getting a third that was nice and smooth and quiet. It really bums me out that this new Twin Power has it too. It's not a slight sound either, it's quite audible and you can feel it in the handle. It always make the rubbing sound in the bottom half of the handle turn, same for the other reels I mentioned.

I'm bringing it back to the shop tomorrow to test another one they have in stock. I'm confused as to why it was smooth as first and now has a rubbing sound. Surely I didn't cause it by putting the handle on...? I don't understand what I could have done to cause it. I should have checked it before leaving the shop but it's too late for that now. Will report back...

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:07 pm

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your new Twin Power. Even though I haven't hit the water with mine yet, I did spool the line and played with it in the backyard by attaching a washer and casting and reeling many times... I really like how it feels. It is the same as it was out of the box, MUCH smoother and quieter than my Sustain. My Twin Power makes no noise at all.

One thing I didn't say in my first post is that the drag's ratcheting sound is louder than my Sustain or Stradic. When you pull the line against the drag or turn the spool in reverse it clicks louder, but not in a bad way. It just sounds beefier, or that Shimano wanted it to be more obvious when the drag was engaged.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:18 pm

bwjay wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:15 am
Mine finally came in today, and upon first unboxing, it was buttery smooth with no rubbing noise or anything. Then the guy at the shop was kind enough to spool it with some line I brought in. I said thanks, took it home, and put the handle on to mount it on a rod and check the balance. I was displeased to find that it now had the same rubbing sound (presumably from the handle) that my first 2 Stradic Ci4+ had. I had to go through 2 before getting a third that was nice and smooth and quiet. It really bums me out that this new Twin Power has it too. It's not a slight sound either, it's quite audible and you can feel it in the handle. It always make the rubbing sound in the bottom half of the handle turn, same for the other reels I mentioned.

I'm bringing it back to the shop tomorrow to test another one they have in stock. I'm confused as to why it was smooth as first and now has a rubbing sound. Surely I didn't cause it by putting the handle on...? I don't understand what I could have done to cause it. I should have checked it before leaving the shop but it's too late for that now. Will report back...
I have a Stradic FL that does the same thing. Bought two at the same time, one was smooth, one wasn't. Best guess is it's a dirty bearing, but I haven't been able to confirm.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:26 pm

tywithay wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:18 pm
bwjay wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:15 am

I have a Stradic FL that does the same thing. Bought two at the same time, one was smooth, one wasn't. Best guess is it's a dirty bearing, but I haven't been able to confirm.
Well at least it's not just me... I've read some reports of this from people over the last 10 years on various Stradic models so it seems it's not new... For a $100 reel I'd probably just accept it, but for $220 I couldn't, and for $320 (got a 20% discount) I definitely can't. It was so smooth and now it's no better than the Ci4+. We will see what happens. I may end up doing a straight return if the other reels they have in stock exhibit the same issue.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:38 am

If it was after spooling maybe the guy ''at the shop'' put it on the spooling machine and use too much force to hold the spool down. This could have distorted the spool.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:20 am

Real wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:38 am
If it was after spooling maybe the guy ''at the shop'' put it on the spooling machine and use too much force to hold the spool down. This could have distorted the spool.
Even with the spool removed it still makes the sound, and it happened with 2 reels straight out of the box before. So I don't think it's related to the spool. It seems related to the handle turn mechanism. I just don't get why it was smooth at the store and rubbing at home. All I did was tighten the handle down a little bit so it didn't loosen from a little bump (which sometimes happens over time with my Ci4+). I'm gonna be heading over to the store later, will report back with results.

Edit: Well now here's something interesting... if I just put the handle on loosely and give it a good hard crank and then hold the handle, the rotor keeps spinning and the handle loosens, which is normal, but what's interesting is I can hear a constant rubbing sound when this happens. I can hear it when freely spinning the rotor as well. This is odd because I can hear a different type of rubbing when screwing the handle on, like the actual screw is rubbing against something in the housing, almost like it's not perfectly straight or something. I did try blowing out the handle area with an air bulb (usually for camera lenses) in case somehow some dirt(???) got in there, but it didn't seem to do anything. More to come later.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:06 pm

What happens if you move the handle to the other side of the body?

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:12 pm

Handle on the other side makes no difference.

Went to the store and the other 3000 had the same issue, as did the 4000. We tried out a couple Stradic Ci4+s, Stradic FLs, a Stella FJ(?) and an Exsence. The only one that DIDN'T make the rubbing noise based on handle position was the Exsence (and possibly Stella, I didn't test that one), though you could still hear some rotor noise. It's crazy how many of these reels had play in their handles and made the soft rubbing sound when the handle was in the downturn. Based on my internet searching, they're not supposed to make that noise, but it seems hard to find one that DOESN'T make it. The guys at the shop agreed they probably shouldn't make that noise, but it's hard to say when almost every reel we tried exhibited it.

In the end I decided to keep the reel and hope that it breaks in or that I just don't notice it in practice. Kinda wanted to return it, toyed with the idea of going down to an FL or something, but it had the same issue. I dunno. I might still return it... kinda disappointed. Was hoping a $400 reel would be buttery smooth in all regards, but I guess not. I can't justify an Exsence even at 20% off, so that's out of the question unfortunately.

I won't be fishing this reel for a couple weeks until I can get to a lake trout lake, and hopefully hook into some lakers. Our stay-at-home order was just extended to the 18th but opener is on the 9th. :doh:

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:38 pm

I don't understand how so many different versions of higher-end models and multiples of each can have the same problem. Did you try any of the Twin Tower 2500FD models for the noise/roughness? Is there another store that has the same models so you can check for the issue?

I went back and played with mine (2500FD) some more listening for an internal rubbing sound especially when the rotor and handle are in the bottom position and it isn't there, it's silent during the whole 360-degree rotation with and without tension applied to the line.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:57 pm

I just got got a Twin Power 2500SHG and I have to say that I love it. I have been pretty much nothing but High End BFS for years and this spinning reel experience with my new Twin Power has been great. Buttery smooth and beautiful is what I can say about it. Now I need equivalent JDM rod to pair it up with. :D

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Fri May 01, 2020 10:03 am

GRH wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:38 pm
I don't understand how so many different versions of higher-end models and multiples of each can have the same problem. Did you try any of the Twin Tower 2500FD models for the noise/roughness? Is there another store that has the same models so you can check for the issue?

I went back and played with mine (2500FD) some more listening for an internal rubbing sound especially when the rotor and handle are in the bottom position and it isn't there, it's silent during the whole 360-degree rotation with and without tension applied to the line.
They didn't have any 2500s unfortunately, and only 1 3000 and 1 4000. Since it's more of a saltwater reel I can understand why they didn't order a bunch of them. The store I went to is a specialty store (Thorne Bros) that has tons of high end gear, but there aren't many stores around like them. I wouldn't even know where to look for another Twin Power in stores around here. Some Cabela's do have Stellas but they only carry a couple models. Not to mention, I'm really not trying to be going to a bunch of other stores, even if they are open during the stay-at-home order. The Stradic Ci4+s that had this issue were from Tackle Warehouse, the one that didn't have it was at a convention but purchased from Marine General.

Honestly I think it's just a tolerances/QC thing. I would love to have a completely silent reel but I won't be getting one any time soon if I choose to return the one I bought, since they don't have any on hand that don't have the issue. It would make sense that multiple high end models have this problem because they use similar mechanisms, but which one(s), I don't know. I just mean, obviously Shimano would use similar gearing mechanisms for example, and if that's where the issue is, it would make sense that many different reels exhibit it. I want this reel but I don't want to keep exchanging for new ones. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't on sale so I can't go anywhere else and order one either, I have to go through Thorne Bros. So... my options are basically, keep it and deal with it, or return it and don't get another one. :|

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Mon May 04, 2020 4:06 pm

I thought it over and decided I couldn't live with the flaw given the price, so I went to Thorne Bros today and they were kind enough to let me exchange it for a Stradic Ci4+ with the same discount. I thanked them generously as they must be tired of hearing from me now. I just couldn't let myself keep a brand new reel with an obvious flaw. The Ci4+ has essentially the same noise but it's actually a good bit quieter in this one. It's slightly less smooth but given the price difference (almost half of the Twin Power) I'm willing to let it slide. I was really tempted to say F it and step up to an Exsence (provided they let me keep the discount), but I just don't do enough finesse/spinning techniques to warrant it, and the Ci4+ is largely good enough for me since I don't actually need a saltwater-friendly reel. I wanted to love the Twin Power, and had it not had the high pitched rubbing sound, I would have truly loved it. But, it was not meant to be...