2020 Shimano Twin Power FD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2020 Shimano Twin Power FD

Post by egore1 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 pm

bwjay wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:03 am

Honestly I think it's just a tolerances/QC thing. I would love to have a completely silent reel but I won't be getting one any time soon if I choose to return the one I bought, since they don't have any on hand that don't have the issue. It would make sense that multiple high end models have this problem because they use similar mechanisms, but which one(s), I don't know. I just mean, obviously Shimano would use similar gearing mechanisms for example, and if that's where the issue is, it would make sense that many different reels exhibit it.
I've been shopping for a few spinning reels recently and found the Shimano's to have crappy tolerances on their main gears. It seems like their machining is way off and setup of the main gear isn't being performed correctly, they leave lots of slop in the main gear stack which causes a fair bit of noise. I returned a Stella FJ this morning because of it and a Stradic Ci4 FB. I tried fourteen different Stradics in my local stores (Ci4 and FL) to see if I could find a smooth reel and didn't find a unicorn. The main gear stack was so loose that if I apply any axial force while turning I can feel the gear get extremely tight or really smooth if I pull out in the opposite direction. I think the noise you might be hearing is due to the change in gear mesh due to a sloppy setup. Try applying some gentle inward and outward axial force on the main gear of your Stradic with the handle while reeling and listen to the difference. I bet you can get the "noise" to come and go based on the gear mesh.

After checking the new Stella out I am headed to camp Daiwa for my next spinning reel, the mechanicals did not impress me. I envision a Certate LT will be my next reel and I'm keeping y fingers crossed that it will be more impressive than the Stella. The Tatula LTs I messed with in the store had much better tolerances than the Stradic so I'm hoping the Certate will deliver. Side note, I've been really pleased with my Stradic FJs for the last ten years and they required very little shimming to get the gear stack set up correctly.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2020 Shimano Twin Power FD

Post by tywithay » Fri May 29, 2020 12:30 am

I had trouble finding a super smooth Stradic FL as well. Though, I did finally settle on one. Not before ordering a Certate LT though as I was kind of fed up with the Stradics. The Certate doesn't have the lightest startup rotation I've felt, but it feels incredibly smooth. I don't know if it's the monocoque body, but it also feels powerful and connected.