Daiwa SV/magforce and casting style

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa SV/magforce and casting style

Post by y2k88 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:42 am

What's everyone's thoughts on this. How much does casting style affects mag-braking

I'm mostly a Shimano guy but have a few Daiwa BCs/and have had.
With the latest (Alphas CT SV), I'm finding it the braking varies greatly depending on casting style (slow/gentle flick like lobbing the lure vs faster flick).
The gentle slick/ slower start up seems to delay the brakes kicking in and casts fine, the faster flick seems to feel severely choked.
Casting a 5 g weight on an UL rod.
Last edited by y2k88 on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa SV/magforce and casting style

Post by TommyG » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:09 am

Yup, the harder you cast, the inductor flies all the way into mags, slowing the spool way down. Some of the springs on the SV inductors are way tooo soft.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:32 am

the inconsistency is a bit annoying to be honest.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:01 am

SV spools are brake happy. That's the point. I can pick apart cover and send finessing offerings skipping across the surface up into cover that was only doable previously with spinning tackle. Its been a game changer for me. If you are going to cast as far as possible out into the open then SV spools probably aren't for you.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:11 pm

I'm not a biggest fan of sv brake. But in KTF it works good in BFS weights. And standard sv 70 spool it works well in 5 g - 15 g range. In my opinion Sv brake needs to be casted gently. Power casting doesn't make more distance. Solution is not to turn mag dial to weaker, it leads to birdnest. By changing standard Magforce-Z spring to Magforce sv makes sv brake much more sporty.