Plastic broken piece inside SV Spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Plastic broken piece inside SV Spool

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:24 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:49 pm
I wish I had seen your thread sooner. Next time I got you.
All good man, appreciate it!

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:27 am

*UPDATE*

First off I would like to thank @Adam Lancia for the conductor piece he sent me while waiting for the delayed (due to covid) order from tackle trap.

As for the process...

I tried dissembling the spool in a bag but it was so hard to see so I just held the spool the way the guy did it in the video preventing anything from popping out which worked.

I got everything done within the first 15 minutes (with help from the videos) and thought to myself why were people telling me this was difficult to do?

That was until I got to the final step in putting the e-clip back. Total nightmare. Spent almost an hour and a half trying to get that thing back on. Had my wife holding the spring down while I used her tweezers which were horrible for the job, pushing the clip back. Ended up losing the clip and wasting another 20 minutes looking for it on the floor lol. Disaster.

Finally got it to go in but noticed the spring wasn’t being utilized so after examining, I realized I forced the e-clip back in but UNDER the groove where it’s supposed to sit. I had no idea that the groove was there for that purpose. So now I stretched the e clip too big to sit tight in the groove so I had to stretch it back smaller then FINALLY did it.

So I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me help/advice because without you guys there’s no way I would have completed this and hopefully this thread will help someone in the future.

Thanks guys!!!!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Well there you go, you got it in the end - well done =D>

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:08 am

=D>

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:30 am

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Bumping this. Same issue with my Tatula SV. I didn't notice any problem with casting but decided to play with the reel and spool then noticed that the inductor spins all the way around. I've been using the reel on a Hyuga 72H and casting it really hard to force spool emptying distance out of it with 50# braid and frogs. This must have done the inductor base in. From what I can see the base has lost both pins and spins with the Air Brake top once locked.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:37 pm

So far the spool still works fine. Somehow there is enough resistance to the base turning that the Air Brake still functions even with both pins sheared off. I'll have to price a replacement spool. That way I can can fix the stock one and also do a Ray's inductor mod to it. One for skipping and another for long bombs.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:37 pm
So far the spool still works fine. Somehow there is enough resistance to the base turning that the Air Brake still functions even with both pins sheared off. I'll have to price a replacement spool. That way I can can fix the stock one and also do a Ray's inductor mod to it. One for skipping and another for long bombs.
Just order the replacement base ramp from TTT. The 1st gen ramps were redesigned because they failed prematurely.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:13 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 pm
LowRange wrote:
Just order the replacement base ramp from TTT. The 1st gen ramps were redesigned because they failed prematurely.
Last year I had trouble casting light baits and found both pins were broken my Tatula SV. I called TTT, but they said it's not available as a separate part and that I'd need to order a complete spool. $44 from Daiwa.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:54 pm

rto wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:13 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 pm
LowRange wrote:
Last year I had trouble casting light baits and found both pins were broken my Tatula SV. I called TTT, but they said it's not available as a separate part and that I'd need to order a complete spool. $44 from Daiwa.
I'm fairly certain that this ramp is universal to all SV spools.

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=12155
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:39 am

SV is so overhyped. Never had any problems in any magv or magz spools, and they cast way further.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:02 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:39 am
SV is so overhyped. Never had any problems in any magv or magz spools, and they cast way further.
It's not over hyped just over used. SV is great but not every reel needs to be an SV. We still don't have a distance tuned Steez ](*,). There should be both SV and non SV versions.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:12 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:02 pm
SSS wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:39 am
It's not over hyped just over used. SV is great but not every reel needs to be an SV. We still don't have a distance tuned Steez ](*,). There should be both SV and non SV versions.
I agree that its overused, but in my opinion, it is also highly overhyped. Everyone on youtube is so positive on the fact that you can cast it without using your thumb. Thing is, YOU HAVE A THUMB. Use it??? :lol:

To me this is such a dumb selling point. Excellent for skipping and handling light baits, but no thank you for anything else.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:23 am

I’m OK with sv brakes. Despite of that all standard Daiwa sv brake I have, I don’t like. Casts are short and brake feels like there much grease in spool bearings. Casting sweet spot can’t be found because there is always way too much brake or there is birdnest. Only Daiwa sv brake I have liked was HLC spring modified sv brake in 70 spool. It’s nice finesse spool which needs be thumb braked. Actually joy to cast. Now I have swapped Ray’s inductor to it. Maybe I should change spring to softer one and to try find casting sweet spot without thumb.

Ray’s sv style brake I might like, but spool was too heavy for finesse use and too shallow for power finesse use. So I didn’t use that long.

KTF sv style Kahen brake I like much. It cast’s 4 g spinner nicely and long and it’s extremely trustworthy. Casting sweet spot can be found. It works also good for true finesse. And it’s not bad for heavier than 4 g.

I have no thumb braked baitcasters after I switched to Daiwa from Abu. Despite of that HLC spring equipped 70 spool. In my opinion good Daiwa Magforce brake, when adjusted correctly, does it’s duty as good or better as good thumb. And it’s much more interesting to cast with magnetic brake than thumb brake. (Distance fine tuning I of course make by thumb.)

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:32 am

Sorry to bring up an older thread but need some advice.

Damaged my SV Spool in my SV103XS when I tried to do a bearing flush so in need for a replacement.

What do you guys recommend? Should I just replace it with the same stock SV Spool or should I upgrade (if there is one)

Thanks!