Plastic broken piece inside SV Spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Plastic broken piece inside SV Spool

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:12 am

Datbasstho wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:32 am
Sorry to bring up an older thread but need some advice.

Damaged my SV Spool in my SV103XS when I tried to do a bearing flush so in need for a replacement.

What do you guys recommend? Should I just replace it with the same stock SV Spool or should I upgrade (if there is one)

Thanks!
Upgrade to a Zillion SV TW spool. The stock SV103 spool is overbraked from what I hear.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:52 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:12 am
Datbasstho wrote:

Damaged my SV Spool in my SV103XS when I tried to do a bearing flush so in need for a replacement.

What do you guys recommend? Should I just replace it with the same stock SV Spool or should I upgrade (if there is one)

Thanks!
Upgrade to a Zillion SV TW spool. The stock SV103 spool is overbraked from what I hear.
Ok sweet, I’ll look for one

Thanks

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:59 pm

LowRange wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:

Thanks!

X2

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:34 pm

A rays sv inductor fixes the sv103 being over braked

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:24 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:59 pm
LowRange wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:

Thanks!

X2
This one?

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=10950

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:39 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:34 pm
I agree. I have made the swap on one of my SV103 spools. I may not have been fun to be around when performing the micro-surgery, but it works great.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:41 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:24 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:

Thanks!

X2
This one?

I am tempted to say “any spool that will fit” (better than original sv103 spool for me).

But yes - that one is nice.
Or SLP 1012/1016:

https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 00209.html

https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 00218.html

- depends on what you fish for and how you fish.
You can also wait a little until the new slp SV boost spool is available or get a cheap diy spool from aliexpress (many nice ones, long delivery time).

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:27 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:41 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:24 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:

Thanks!

X2
This one?

I am tempted to say “any spool that will fit” (better than original sv103 spool for me).

But yes - that one is nice.
Or SLP 1012/1016:

https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 00209.html

https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 00218.html

- depends on what you fish for and how you fish.
You can also wait a little until the new slp SV boost spool is available or get a cheap diy spool from aliexpress (many nice ones, long delivery time).
To be honest, I was hoping not to spend that amount on a new spool so if you can send the links for the aliexpress one that would be awesome!
And the ones from Ali, they’re reliable?

I fish for bass and I think I’ll keep my sv103 reel on my Daemos most likely so mainly spinnerbaits but I would like to still keep it versatile in case I use it for another application.

Appreciate all the help and the links too man thank you

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:06 am

Datbasstho wrote:

Thanks!
What kind of damage did you do to the spool?

The 1016 Zillion spool is a beauty too.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:52 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:39 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
I agree. I have made the swap on one of my SV103 spools. I may not have been fun to be around when performing the micro-surgery, but it works great.
That DIY rotor swap will either send you to Hell, or get you closer to God.....
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:55 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:52 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:39 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
That DIY rotor swap will either send you to Hell, or get you closer to God.....
:lol:

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:24 am

adam lancia wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:06 am
Datbasstho wrote:

Thanks!

Trying to flush the bearings I removed the pin with the pin removal tool on the spool and the hub that the bearing sits in was still stuck. It wouldn’t just fall out so I kind of forced it out and by doing so I must of caused some damage to the hub and the actual spool because after I put it back together, the spool wouldn’t even sit in the reel anymore. It normally fits so tight that the slightest Nick could alter it I guess.

First time doing a bearing flush and probably my last. Lol

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:35 am

In addition to the DIY/Ray's inductor, the inductor/spring from a stock Alphas SV spool also works well in a sv103 spool.

You can then take the sv103 inductor assembly and install it into the Alphas SV spool. It really helps tame it down at the cost of a very small amount of distance. I use Alphas on a few rods where I am mostly making use of the upper end (3/8-3/4oz) of the reel/spool's range and the beefier inductor really helps smooth things out while letting me run my breaks almost 25% lower.

The swap does cost me a little at the low end, but imho the stock Alphas SV spool has a sweet spot around 1/4-3/8oz and isn't the best choice for anything lighter, so for how I use the reels, it's worked out great.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:53 am

Datbasstho wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:24 am
adam lancia wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:06 am
Datbasstho wrote:

Thanks!

Trying to flush the bearings I removed the pin with the pin removal tool on the spool and the hub that the bearing sits in was still stuck. It wouldn’t just fall out so I kind of forced it out and by doing so I must of caused some damage to the hub and the actual spool because after I put it back together, the spool wouldn’t even sit in the reel anymore. It normally fits so tight that the slightest Nick could alter it I guess.

First time doing a bearing flush and probably my last. Lol
If you could post a couple pictures, we should be able to tell you whether it's a lost cause or has the potential to be repaired. There are some magicians on this board...

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:40 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:53 am

If you could post a couple pictures, we should be able to tell you whether it's a lost cause or has the potential to be repaired. There are some magicians on this board...

I believe I figured out the problem....

After removing the pin I then tried to remove the bearing and hub off the spool but It wouldnt slide off (don’t know if it’s supposed to) and no matter how hard I pulled it, it wouldn’t come out.

So I used needle nose pliers and it was still really tough to remove but I eventually did with a lot of force.

So I think by doing so, I must of damaged the hub in a way where it will not go back in the slot (or whatever it’s called that it sits in) on the reel.

Even when I just tried placing the hub with the bearing in the slot it just sat there stuck and was way to hard to push in, so I think that’s the problem, when the hub is back on the spool assembled with the pin, it will not enter the slot due to damage I might have cause that possibly bent it or something, which is not noticeable.

Here’s the hub place on the slot showing how it won’t go in:

Here is the spool placed in the reel that won’t go in the slot as well due to the hub damage:

uploading pictures

So I think all I need is a new hub that the bearing sits in.

I used my steez G1 sv spool from my sv tw reel and it went on the reel with no problems.

I was going to remove the pin and try the hub and bearing from my G1 spool but I didn’t want to mess with it.

I also tried the damaged spool in my steez sv tw reel and it wouldn’t go in either so it has to be the hub.