TDZ for Bottom

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

TDZ for Bottom

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Mostly I use my TDZ for reaction baits. I've been under the persuasion that the drag even when upgraded is too weak for bottom contact fishing. Or it may be that the reel lacks rigidity but whatever the case or consensus I wanted to know if anyone is using the reel for bottom contact fishing?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TDZ for Bottom

Post by Tigerbass » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:42 pm

I think with Carbontex drag upgrade they are fine for Bottom Contact unless you are having to pull the fish out of slop!! (I don’t fish weedy lakes)

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:01 pm

I've landed many, many big fish in and around heavy cover on TD-Z's over the years, but every one of them has the Daiwa #1 Carbontex upgrade. It's cheap and makes a HUGE difference over the stock washers. Whether set up for bottom contact fishing or moving baits, always upgrade TD-Z stock drag washers. TTT keeps them in stock of course.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:01 pm
I've landed many, many big fish in and around heavy cover on TD-Z's over the years, but every one of them has the Daiwa #1 Carbontex upgrade. It's cheap and makes a HUGE difference over the stock washers. Whether set up for bottom contact fishing or moving baits, always upgrade TD-Z stock drag washers. TTT keeps them in stock of course.
Any idea when the 7.1 gear will back in stock?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:25 am

I have 9 TDZ reels. Use them for a variety of baits and apps. They can do about anything. Only limited by the gear ratio max of 6:3 for RH users. So it may not be ideal for some apps. I use a few for bottom contact stuff and jigs both regular and swim and use them for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, swimbaits, and lipless cranks.

Usually just do the Carbontex drag upgrade for a few bucks. Then check to see if I am satisfied with the spool and bearing performance for the intended app. With so many spool options you can toss super light baits, wind resistant baits for distance and heavier baits very far depending on the spool you choose

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:32 pm

I've used mine for bottom contact with 20lb fluoro. No problems at all with the drag (carbontex). It seems I get more fish with 6.3:1 than a faster reel, probably because it forces me to slow down. That said, I use my td-z's for ikas, Senkos, squarebills and spinnerbaits.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:29 pm

With the Carbontex drag upgrade there is no issue with using a TDZ for bottom contact. It is just as sold as any other magnesium reel. You wouldn't think twice about using a Steez or any of the Shimano magnesium reels for bottom contact so why would a TDZ be any different? With its slightly higher profile than allot of current reels it palms nicer for met on hooksets. I also have the 7.1 brass gears in my TD-Z platform reels used for bottom contact.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:55 am

hzzhangc wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:01 pm
Any idea when the 7.1 gear will back in stock?
They are in stock...

Daiwa Gear Sets @ The Tackle Trap
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:46 am

ogrich31 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:32 pm
I've used mine for bottom contact with 20lb fluoro. No problems at all with the drag (carbontex). It seems I get more fish with 6.3:1 than a faster reel, probably because it forces me to slow down. That said, I use my td-z's for ikas, Senkos, squarebills and spinnerbaits.
Don't get my wrong 7-10:1 gear ratios are great in many aspects of what they do. The SV103XS is one of my favorite of all time reels at 7.9:1 but so is the SV103H and all my TD-Zs at 6.3:1. I think we often get over marketed into believing that what was once "high speed" is somehow no longer applicable to fishing baits that have been around for many years. 6.3:1 WAS the bottom contact gear ratio until about 2008. Yes, faster reels offer the ability to pick up line faster and get baits back to the boat faster when fan casting or searching, but don't dismiss 6.3:1. I think if one had reels in 6.3:1 you really could cover everything. I have a TD-Z Type R+ on a G. Loomis GLX 783C from like 2005 and it is an amazing jig rod...really though, it can do everything. The TD-Z might be the most modifiable reel ever made. Yes, guys years ago used to use Curado 200B reels (including me) but think about this...the TD-Z has been discontinued for 15 years already, yet we are still actively talking about it, buying/selling them, customizing or modifying them, and using them. That's pretty awesome. Best wishes on the water!

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:01 pm

Why does 7.1 gears work for left hand TDZ but not right??

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:11 pm

Big-Bass wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:46 am
ogrich31 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:32 pm
Don't get my wrong 7-10:1 gear ratios are great in many aspects of what they do. The SV103XS is one of my favorite of all time reels at 7.9:1 but so is the SV103H and all my TD-Zs at 6.3:1. I think we often get over marketed into believing that what was once "high speed" is somehow no longer applicable to fishing baits that have been around for many years. 6.3:1 WAS the bottom contact gear ratio until about 2008. Yes, faster reels offer the ability to pick up line faster and get baits back to the boat faster when fan casting or searching, but don't dismiss 6.3:1. I think if one had reels in 6.3:1 you really could cover everything. I have a TD-Z Type R+ on a G. Loomis GLX 783C from like 2005 and it is an amazing jig rod...really though, it can do everything. The TD-Z might be the most modifiable reel ever made. Yes, guys years ago used to use Curado 200B reels (including me) but think about this...the TD-Z has been discontinued for 15 years already, yet we are still actively talking about it, buying/selling them, customizing or modifying them, and using them. That's pretty awesome. Best wishes on the water!
Its pretty unique in that regard. The longevity alone is impressive let alone the modifications.
Is there any other reel with that type of record?
The Cores?
OG Zillions?
I dont know
Since putting a TDZ 100M on my IMX 843 rod I've fallen in heaven.
Its spinnerbait MACHINE.. The gear ratio and everything just is. Its like the first time you got your calves rubbed after a pedicure.
You dont want to like it but it feels so good you can help but to tell the fellas about it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:31 am

[/quote]

Its pretty unique in that regard. The longevity alone is impressive let alone the modifications.

[/quote]

There are old reels still in use like the old green Curados for example. The closest one could be the original Alphas as they still get used and can take allot of modifications and upgrades as well.

However I don't think there is another reel with that sort of longevity where you don't feel like you are sacraficing anything to the best new reel on the market. I know when im using a fully upgraded & tuned R+, Personal Order, A.O.I, or Ito with ZPI spools I don't feel like im giving up anything to any reel that's ever been made since as far as performance or build quality. And there is just something special about the way they look and palm, in my opinion the best looking an palming low profile reel ever made.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:47 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:31 am

[/quote]

There are old reels still in use like the old green Curados for example. The closest one could be the original Alphas as they still get used and can take allot of modifications and upgrades as well.

However I don't think there is another reel with that sort of longevity where you don't feel like you are sacraficing anything to the best new reel on the market. I know when im using a fully upgraded & tuned R+, Personal Order, A.O.I, or Ito with ZPI spools I don't feel like im giving up anything to any reel that's ever been made since as far as performance or build quality. And there is just something special about the way they look and palm, in my opinion the best looking an palming low profile reel ever made.
[/quote]

Can't agree more!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Bump for this thread
Are you using a heavy or medium heavy rod