Tatula Elite vs Steez A

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tatula Elite vs Steez A

Post by johnD » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:22 am

Houndfish wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:52 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:19 pm
I am super impressed with my Daiwa Coastal SV TW as well so far! Smootheness is def on the same level as my Steez A and Steez SV TW.

Of course the later are already a couple of years old. So one would need to see how the new Tatula's behave over time.

Looking forward to get my other Tatulas now and compare! :)
My newTat SV is on a rod that will see rough use and the muddiest water you can think of, so I hope to know sooner rather than later how it holds up. I have kept it internally stock, never even cracked it open to look and check lube.
I just can't trust daiwa on this one , until I see one with grease on the gears from the factory.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:27 am

johnD wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:22 am
I just can't trust daiwa on this one , until I see one with grease on the gears from the factory.
Hah, well we shall see!

I also have a Steez SV TW still rocking it's factory grease or lack thereof, but it's due for a cleaning this spring and will get some love then. It still feels as smooth as it did when new after a year or so of pretty heavy fishing, so it will be interesting to see what it looks like when I open it up.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:10 am

If it's been run for 1 year and still smooth , I'd say it had some factory grease in it. Keep us posted.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:33 am

Chris,
A good option would be the Zillion SV. I had the Steex A's and have the Tatula Elite's. I prefer the Zillion SV to either one of these two. To me it casts better than either and is smoother on the retrieve.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:31 pm

bassm1n wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:33 am
Chris,
A good option would be the Zillion SV. I had the Steex A's and have the Tatula Elite's. I prefer the Zillion SV to either one of these two. To me it casts better than either and is smoother on the retrieve.
The brand new zillion 10 sv tw or the model that's been out for a while?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:54 pm

Do you guys think the tatula elite would be ok for frogs and heavy flipping/pitching or should I go for something like the new Zillion 10?

If rather get another elite based on price (or og zillion platform if I find a clean one for sale) but the new Zillion looks good too.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:42 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:54 pm
Do you guys think the tatula elite would be ok for frogs and heavy flipping/pitching or should I go for something like the new Zillion 10?

If rather get another elite based on price (or og zillion platform if I find a clean one for sale) but the new Zillion looks good too.
It will be fine. It’s the same reel as the pitch and flip version with a long cast spool and different knobs.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:05 am

bassm1n wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:33 am
Chris,
What was not smooth about the Steez A? Did they lose their smoothness with use it were they just less smooth out if the box. Fears of a lack of smoothness and deteriorating smoothness have kept me away from the current gen Steez. I have a number of examples of the old gen and they can't keep up with my TD Zillions and Alphas in smoothness. They get gritty feeling with any use

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:25 am

I can’t say the Steez were not smooth but for me the Zillion sv tw is buttery smooth. Maybe a grease issue. Not sure. I sold primarily due to liking the zillion ergonomics better

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:58 am

Zillions have brass gears whereas Steezes (is that the right way to say more than one Steez? Lol) have aluminum/aluminum alloy gears which may also contribute to how the reel's retrieve may feel

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Don't the tatula elites also have brass gears but also aluminum side plates? The side plates of the zillion sv tw are zaion right? Wouldn't aluminum frame and side plates with brass gears be preferable for heavier lures? (Kind of like how the new Zillion 10 went with metal side plates and the og zillions are all aluminum with brass gears).

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:08 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Don't the tatula elites also have brass gears but also aluminum side plates? The side plates of the zillion sv tw are zaion right? Wouldn't aluminum frame and side plates with brass gears be preferable for heavier lures? (Kind of like how the new Zillion 10 went with metal side plates and the og zillions are all aluminum with brass gears).
Zaion is a very stout material , with great lateral stiffness.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:52 pm

johnD wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:08 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
It's great for sideplates if you don't mind the hollowness of it letting some noise and vibration from the gear train through. If you do then it is aluminum handle sideplate only from here on out.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:52 pm
johnD wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:08 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
It's great for sideplates if you don't mind the hollowness of it letting some noise and vibration from the gear train through. If you do then it is aluminum handle sideplate only from here on out.
Doesn't bother me. Just thought it was for strength or preventing flex. Guess I could have gone a little cheaper than the elite if an aluminum side plate is mostly for noise dampening.