Need Help, New Spinning Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Need Help, New Spinning Reel

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:28 am

So I have not been nearly as active fishing for the last few months, our local river has been terribly high and just offered up poor fishing in general. In my down time before the pandemic hit, I sold some gear with intent to upgrade. I sold my wife's Revo Premier 30 and my Revo STX20 to fund her a Shimano reel purchase... Now unfortunately TW is out of the Stradic FL for a while and we are ready to get back fishing. So my options are, drop an extra $200 for a Twin Power 3000 (would like a 2500 but I cannot run a slow ratio spinning reel, also would need a replacement knob), look locally or at Academy for a Stradic FL, or hunt a Daiwa spinner instead. I noticed Tackle Trap's site doesn't show Shimano spinning reels anymore, found that odd... Maybe I missed something? Haven't needed new equipment in a while.

Either way, just wanted to see what anyone thought, if a Daiwa alternative would work, or the Twin Power is worth the upgrade? If I could find a slightly discounted Twin Power it would make this choice so much easier.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need Help, New Spinning Reel

Post by reason162 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:32 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:28 am
Either way, just wanted to see what anyone thought, if a Daiwa alternative would work, or the Twin Power is worth the upgrade? If I could find a slightly discounted Twin Power it would make this choice so much easier.
If you're looking at Twin Power price range I would get a Certate LT from TTT. Such an easy decision imo :)

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 am

Don't know what rod you are using, but I would also say the new Certate. All of my older Certates, have never let me down, and are still smooth as the day I bought them.

If you don't want to spend the extra coin, the Daiwa Tatula is a lighter alternative.

But if it were me, I would hunt down a used Vanquish or Stella. I have both and I find myself reaching for them any chance I get.

https://www.ichibantackle.com/
check out their second hand inventory. I've always been happy with my purchases from there.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 03, 2020 5:33 am

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Certate. I always forget about that model... Would be my first Daiwa spinner, have always used Daiwa casting (with a few Shimano baitcasters too) and ALL Shimano spinning reels. I wonder when a planned new Ci4+ will be out based off of the Stradic FL???

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun May 03, 2020 7:19 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 am
Don't know what rod you are using, but I would also say the new Certate. All of my older Certates, have never let me down, and are still smooth as the day I bought them.

If you don't want to spend the extra coin, the Daiwa Tatula is a lighter alternative.

But if it were me, I would hunt down a used Vanquish or Stella. I have both and I find myself reaching for them any chance I get.

https://www.ichibantackle.com/
check out their second hand inventory. I've always been happy with my purchases from there.
Jdmtackleheaven usually has a vanquish or two for like $220. I always keep an eye on them for deals.

I have a couple Stradic 2500FL that I used a lot this week. I didn't catch enough to test them, but they were good. I ordered a Certate LT that's supposed to be here Tuesday, so hopefully I'll be able to compare soon.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:45 am

I'd love to hear about how that Certate feels... I looked into them yesterday, the best US deal I could find was still right around $400. Just a little steep to spend for me, we don't get to fish as much as I would like. I also keep checking out the JDM Luvias. Does anyone know if you can still order from DIGITAKA with this pandemic going on??? I would hate to order a reel I need fairly quickly and get it stuck in transit for a long time. They offer a 6.2 ratio in JDM models, I just couldn't ride with the slow US model... Why do they even make slower geared spinning reels now here? I kind of understand the use for them, but most fisherman don't and are automatically going to gravitate to the "faster" gears. I need the faster gear because it helps my wife's reaction time and bring in slack quicker, same as me when it comes to spinning reels...

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu May 07, 2020 7:53 am

Ask them to ship DHL, won't be held up like Japan Post EMS will. There is the 6.0:1 Twin Power 2500SHG or the 6.4:1 C3000XG.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:09 am

They have the 6.2 ratio USDM models as well. Don't look at just gear ratio but IPT which will account for spool size. Spinning reels have a higher IPT reel due the larger spool. A 5.2 ratio spinning reel can match the IPT of a 7:1+ ratio baitcaster.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri May 15, 2020 2:37 pm

If you're looking at daiwa spinning reels, along with the Tatula LT, check out the Ballistic LT as well.

I have a Stradic Ci4, and picked up the Stradic FL back in November and have fished with it a lot. I'm really liking the Stradic FL as it has a buttery smooth drag, I do notice a slight increase in casting distance with that updated spool. I mainly picked up the FL so I can also fish salt water on occasion for spotted bay bass. I still prefer the Ci4 because I like the look of it with my set ups more than the Stradic FL and the slight weight savings, but I've fished more with the FL this year than the Ci4 and it's performed great thus far.

I also have the Daiwa Tatula LT, and fished a lot with it last year and haven't had any issues at all. Smooth drag, feather light (lighter than Ci4), but I like the line lay of my stradics more than the tatula LT. I've spooled it up twice already, and both times it doesn't come out as even than my stradics for some reason. Does it affect the way the reel fishes? No, but just a preference is all.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat May 16, 2020 12:10 am

accodn2ryan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:37 pm

I also have the Daiwa Tatula LT, and fished a lot with it last year and haven't had any issues at all. Smooth drag, feather light (lighter than Ci4), but I like the line lay of my stradics more than the tatula LT. I've spooled it up twice already, and both times it doesn't come out as even than my stradics for some reason. Does it affect the way the reel fishes? No, but just a preference is all.
I'm not 100% sure if it's still the case, but Daiwa spinning reels used to use a cross wrap oscillation. It lays the line in an X pattern. Supposed to help line come off the spool somehow and keep thin diameter braid from digging in. It doesn't look as smooth as a Shimano, but it's just as effective. ABS spools are also tapered from the top of the spool, so the line will stack differently.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:55 am

tywithay wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:10 am
accodn2ryan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:37 pm

I'm not 100% sure if it's still the case, but Daiwa spinning reels used to use a cross wrap oscillation. It lays the line in an X pattern. Supposed to help line come off the spool somehow and keep thin diameter braid from digging in. It doesn't look as smooth as a Shimano, but it's just as effective. ABS spools are also tapered from the top of the spool, so the line will stack differently.
So will I have to adjust any shims/washers when I purchase a new Certate??? I am excited about getting the reel, it is technically for my wife cause she needs a spinning reel that will last and maybe having a nice reel will make her want to go more now.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Tue May 19, 2020 2:07 pm

I have 5 different certate models and never have needed to adjust any shims/washers. You should be good to spool up & go fishing.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Wed May 27, 2020 8:36 am

Hard to beat a certate

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:14 pm

That's what we will go with. Going to be a bit odd to have a reel that nice on a $150 Abu rod... Eventually I will get a nicer stout spinning rod for the setup. I use it occasionally for bombing tubes and small swimbaits, going to use 10lb Sufix 832 and the spinning rod is the "Ike" 7'6"MH (like a M/MH blend really).

It was between this and the Stradic FL, but I haven't bought anything in a while so a nice spinner will be cool. Does anyone know if the 2500 Certate has a T knob or I shape knob? Probably going to order the larger size RCS I knob I bought from Digitaka.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri May 29, 2020 7:52 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:14 pm
That's what we will go with. Going to be a bit odd to have a reel that nice on a $150 Abu rod... Eventually I will get a nicer stout spinning rod for the setup. I use it occasionally for bombing tubes and small swimbaits, going to use 10lb Sufix 832 and the spinning rod is the "Ike" 7'6"MH (like a M/MH blend really).

It was between this and the Stradic FL, but I haven't bought anything in a while so a nice spinner will be cool. Does anyone know if the 2500 Certate has a T knob or I shape knob? Probably going to order the larger size RCS I knob I bought from Digitaka.
Mine came with a T knob which I actually really like. It has a soft grip material. I have a spare cork RCS T knob that collects dust if that tells you anything.