Titanium Framed reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Titanium Framed reels?

Post by Slazmo » Sat May 09, 2020 1:47 am

ska4fun wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:34 am
Slazmo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:03 pm
OMG... What are you? Part-time ''naysayer"? Half-nay? Half-sayer?
Meh I like what I like, I tell what I see and happily agree to disagree even with "engineers" - I just tell it how it is, don't sit on your hands or hold back on what you feel... A lot of people hate the truth...

When people tell you in high places that everything has been ticked off, is to strict standard and complies - just question it a little further.

Like why my house drainage doesn't drain... Or why gears go buzzy...
Attachments
IMG_20200509_184425.jpg
IMG_20200509_184425.jpg (111.76 KiB) Viewed 5995 times

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat May 09, 2020 4:26 am

Revofisher wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:32 pm
yeah i hope they get the grease figured out. The new models will be promising though

1. daiwa tatula elite short cast model
2. daiwa tatula mid cast model
3. daiwa tatula smallmouth only reel

in all seriousness the titanium reel would be a small market i really don't see a manufacturer being profitable on making one although it would be very cool indeed.
Any links to the new reels?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sat May 09, 2020 5:51 am

Sorry hobie not yet they are still catching largemouth on the smallmouth only tatula so they have to work out the kinks, or get new pro staff for further testing. only for sure thing is they have the spider on the side.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sat May 09, 2020 5:59 am

although it seems. i'm not bashing daiwa with a full heart love the reels but please daiwa bring something to regenerate some enthusiast flair back into the equation. that being said the tatulas are great for the price and are truly great performers, only one i will sort of not regret hating on was the tatula 100 imo that one was not that great. i need to fish more the lockdown stuff has me spitting out things i normally wouldn't say any apologies to tatula fans for real though. the latest versions are great reels and i hate to say it probably outperform some of my og variants. i just got two nib sv 103s that i had to pay for dearly and now that i think about it i could have got the 103 tat which would perform just as well i guess im just hung up on the old stuff at the moment. ok cry baby rant over resume with the thread on track

whos going to make the first titanium reel.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 10, 2020 1:51 am

ska4fun wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:45 am
And most innovations these years were made by daiwa, including the TWS
I'd give that to ABU - with their disengaged level wind system, Daiwa just refined / modified it.
Revofisher wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:59 am
whos going to make the first titanium reel.
Shimano used a Titanium alloy bail wire of some quality on the Stradic FB Ci4+, was supposed to be a winning feature - that everyone overlooked. Did Ti bail wires even make it to any Stella reel through the years?
Last edited by Slazmo on Sun May 10, 2020 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:14 am

Didnt Johnny Morris put out a titanium "plated" reel? :lol:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 10, 2020 4:53 am

"This jewel is built on a sturdy, unrelenting diecast aluminum frame, with side plates to match, and its eye-catching blue titanium deposition finish ensures your reel will keep its great looks through many years of hard fishing."

Bit like TiO2 drill bits...

Probably last a hell of a lot longer than the Ion plating of a few reels of old.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 10, 2020 1:56 pm

I could see the use of a Ci4+ / Magnumlite baitcaster spool, as long as its tolerable in its design to some reasonable* line pressure it could be a viable option for lightweights.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:19 am

Titanium reels for bass fishing? :lol: Prices are already going through the roof on anything fishing related, so let’s make reels out of a more expensive material that doesn’t improve anything :roll: There’s a reason they went to carbon, cost. Aluminum keeps getting more expensive for the raw material, and the more prices go up, the more you will see alternatives being used. I guess I was lucky, fished my CI4s hard for years, and only issue I had was with the spool. Reels still have all original parts and are very smooth and powerful. Now if you want to talk about failure, let’s talk about Daiwas terrible introduction- the T3. That reel didn’t last me very long, what a piece of junk :lol:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon May 11, 2020 2:46 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:19 am
Now if you want to talk about failure, let’s talk about Daiwas terrible introduction- the T3. That reel didn’t last me very long, what a piece of junk :lol:
If that hood was sturdier designed where it had 2 pins holding it to the frame than just one or metal slides than small diameter pins it would've been a better option. Otherwise the T3 was quiet a good little reel and opened up the field.

Did me a bit of Google'ing the other day while at work (on my break - got to cover your ass) - seems to be a interesting amount of Titanium based or made of reels available already. For one the Shimano "Super Duper" Titanium is a which retailed for over $3k in 2000's - put the Stella to the cheap bins in comparison - couldn't find much about it in that short time but there's stuff out there...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:15 am

Titanium simply seems unnecessary. Maybe for offshore tuna fishing or something, but not bass fishing. As for the T3, it just wasn’t a very good real because of all the problems. Breaking hoods off is a pretty big problem, kind of need that. I’ve punched with a CI4 many times, not something I would attempt with a T3. That thing flexed retrieving a chatterbait :lol: I only brought up the T3 as comparison though, since the Chronarch was not a bad reel to those that used them. Never heard of frames breaking and gear issues that T3 had.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu May 14, 2020 7:44 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:14 am
Didnt Johnny Morris put out a titanium "plated" reel? :lol:
Yep. I got one of them. Sturdy ass reel. I use it for punching.
<")))><{