Tatula SV TW103 inital thoughts

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula SV TW103 inital thoughts

Post by LowRange » Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 pm

That's called hollowness and the cure is an aluminum handle sideplate and some mass to the reel. My old aluminum handle side plate Tatula is very smooth and solid while my plastic handle sideplate SV is noisy and far less nice feeling. Both have identical gears. The Elite was probably the reel to get with the aluminum handle side plate. I won't buy any reels with non metal side plates unless they are cheap workhorse reels I don't care about.

roborovski007
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by roborovski007 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:47 pm

CGrinder wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:40 pm
Folks are saying that Daiwa reels are shipping on the dry side. I would check the gears for grease if you haven't. FWIW my Elite and SV TW that I bought last month are real smooth under load.
comparing both of them, which cast further with lures around 5-10grams ?

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:15 am

i dont own any of the new tat sv's, on ly the older ones. it seems like folks dont really seem to talk as much about the newer version as they did when the original came out, but i also dont see a lot of them for sale on posting boards. i really cant get a feel for what folks think about them.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:10 am

Jason Penn wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:15 am
i dont own any of the new tat sv's, on ly the older ones. it seems like folks dont really seem to talk as much about the newer version as they did when the original came out, but i also dont see a lot of them for sale on posting boards. i really cant get a feel for what folks think about them.
I think the original Tatula SV reels were big because they were the first budget reel with the SV spool. I have experience with both models and like the newer model better just because of the ergonomics. I think you will be happy if you use it for hard casting baits like flat side crankbaits, buzzbaits, or harder casting baits that don't pull hard. I don't think it would hold up to flipping duties as good as the original.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:42 pm

I have had both of the Tatula SV versions. I much prefer the 2020 edition to the 2017 edition, mainly because of the frame profile of the 2020, which is like the Tatula 100 and Tatula Elite. I like it so much I sold both of the 2017 versions I had and have at least one more 2020 coming. I do wish Daiwa would have left the spool at 33mm so the two ZPI spooks I have for the 2017 would have worked. I kept the ZPI spools when I sold the reels.

As far as the sideplate not being Aluminum on the 2020 I can't really tell a difference between the rigidity of the Elite versus the 2020 or for that matter the Taula 100. They feel pretty much identical to me except that the 2mm spool size difference is noticeable going from one to another.

As far as casting goes I would give the definite edge to the 2020 over the Elite Long cast or 100 with the baits I typically toss this time of year in stock form. Mainly small jigs up to 3/16 and trailers or 3 inch tubes with 1/8 ounce heads. However I don't typically use the stock spools and both 100s and the Tatula Elite I have all have non factory spools so that changes things considerably. I also have a spool coming for the 2020 but it's not arrived just yet.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:48 pm

I have been using the tatula reel and i agreed its not as smooth like shimano but i still like it regardless. Now my new alpha sv tw just came in and i can tell you that this reel is shimano smooth. 😁

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:44 am

There is one thing I have noticed about the Tatula SV 2020 that I don't fully understand. There does seem to be a lot of variability in the smoothness of each reel. I must have picked up 5 or more reels and reeled them before I finally found one smooth enough to consider purchasing. The one I bought is exceptionally smooth.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:51 am

I picked up a 2020 tatula SV last year. Broke it down completely to the bones. Relubed/oiled and added levelwind bearings before even making a cast. Very, very smooth reel after almost a season and i'm super OCD about a reel being even the slightest bit geary.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:28 am

Hello, Friends!
I used Tatula 2020 SV TW HL all last fishing season. I think its good reel, work horse. Paired with Adrena 172MH-2, i received balanced combo for 16-18-20 gr jig and minnows/vibs 15-25 gr. With PE line on spool it very sensetive for compact lures and confortable for plastic lures with fluorocarbon. If you interested, you can look at my videoreview about this reel. Sorry, there no english subtitles on it :oops: .

Tatula 2020 SV TW + fluorocarbon + vibs: https://youtu.be/OptOSSh_bhg
Tatula 2020 SV TW + PE line + jig: https://youtu.be/z3eh3TL62Og

roborovski007
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by roborovski007 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:29 am

just got myself one brand new, is the spool tension quite loose in stock settings ?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:48 am

roborovski007 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:29 am
just got myself one brand new, is the spool tension quite loose in stock settings ?
Yep that is how they are advised to be used but you can tighten it up if you like.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 am

I like the 2020 over the 2017. Casts better, is smaller and just "feels" better. It is everything I need it for, tossing cranks, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits...all that. I got mine on an Abu Garcia Vertias I got for 20 bucks when Gander Outdoors was closing.

FWIW, its a great series with multiple retrieves to fit what most people are looking for. Its a great reel for beginners that dont want to outgrow their equipment as well as experienced anglers. Not the furthest casting reel but, gets decent distance with ease. Use less brakes, not more force to get your distance.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing