Luvias LT

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Luvias LT

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue May 05, 2020 9:54 am

I don't think I have seen a post on here about the new Luvias LT. I love my Exist LTs and Certate LTs, so I put an order in for one yesterday for a 3000 CXH. It has the monocoque Zaion body and is lighter than Exist LT.

- Luvias LT 3000 CXH - 6.35
- Certate LT 3000 CXH - 7.4
- Exist LT 3000 CXH - 6.5

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Luvias LT

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:26 am

Just ordered the Luvias yesterday in 3000. Strapping to a AGS when it arrives. Debated about the certate too. Shocked not to see more about the Luvias LT as well. Also shocked to be talking about Daiwa reels and not Shimano....I'm a trader I guess.
Philippians 4:6

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 am

i own mostly shimano reels but i have to say the new certate is bad a$% ive had it since they arrived for sale and it has not given me any problems at all great drag and just an overall great feeling reel. i want a luvias as well i just hate the deep sea line capacity they made for the spools on those but ill just use backing tell us how the reel performs i would be interested in one of these as well.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue May 05, 2020 11:01 am

Revofisher wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 am
i own mostly shimano reels but i have to say the new certate is bad a$% ive had it since they arrived for sale and it has not given me any problems at all great drag and just an overall great feeling reel. i want a luvias as well i just hate the deep sea line capacity they made for the spools on those but ill just use backing tell us how the reel performs i would be interested in one of these as well.
They have shallow spool and gearing options for other markets. I ordered my reel from Japan.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue May 05, 2020 2:52 pm

I think the pricing hurts them a little bit. You can order the Certate from Japan for less than the Luvias in the US. They had some issues with distribution as well because of the corona. I am sure it is a really good reel though. I was eyeballing one pretty hard, until I found a good deal on a Certate.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed May 06, 2020 6:08 am

tywithay wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:52 pm
I think the pricing hurts them a little bit. You can order the Certate from Japan for less than the Luvias in the US. They had some issues with distribution as well because of the corona. I am sure it is a really good reel though. I was eyeballing one pretty hard, until I found a good deal on a Certate.
I purchased the Luvias from Japan for $255. I might not see it for a month, but that's okay since I'm waiting for a NFC rod blank.

I have three Certates and they are awesome reels. I also have two Exist LTs, so I'll put up a comparison review of the LTs with monocoque bodies when the Luvias comes.

I was trying to wait for the new Shimano CI4, but it's probably going to come in at a close price point and not be made in Japan. I also like the Exist and Certate better than the Stella FJ, so I'm thinking the Luvias will be a better design as well.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed May 06, 2020 9:11 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:08 am
tywithay wrote:
I purchased the Luvias from Japan for $255. I might not see it for a month, but that's okay since I'm waiting for a NFC rod blank.

I have three Certates and they are awesome reels. I also have two Exist LTs, so I'll put up a comparison review of the LTs with monocoque bodies when the Luvias comes.

I was trying to wait for the new Shimano CI4, but it's probably going to come in at a close price point and not be made in Japan. I also like the Exist and Certate better than the Stella FJ, so I'm thinking the Luvias will be a better design as well.
From what I heard. Only the first run of the Luvias will be made in Japan. Next run will be China.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed May 06, 2020 9:55 am

fishonsc wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:11 am
HobeyBaker wrote:
tywithay wrote:

From what I heard. Only the first run of the Luvias will be made in Japan. Next run will be China.
Hopefully I get a made in Japan model then.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed May 06, 2020 2:51 pm

What models are JDM vs. US?

Are the 2500XH and 3000XH shallow spooled? I know the US versions of many LT reels have the "CXH" for the shallower spool. I see some on the JDM websites that say 3000S-XH or something of the like. Also, are the 2500 and 3000 the same body size with different spools with the new frame design? I also see a JDM 4000CXH which might be cool. Thanks for any/all help. Best wishes on the water!

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed May 06, 2020 3:35 pm

The US models have D in the model number, for deep spool. I don't know why Daiwa is putting those spools on all of their USDM reels. Nobody needs 400 yards of 15lb braid on a 2500 sized reel

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:17 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
I also like the Exist and Certate better than the Stella FJ, so I'm thinking the Luvias will be a better design as well.
I also love my Certate, never tried the Exist, I do like my Stella a bit more over the Certate.

The Stella feels more powerful to me and smoother when tension is involved.

The Stella also looks nicer IMO, more refined :big grin:

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 pm

tywithay wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:35 pm
The US models have D in the model number, for deep spool. I don't know why Daiwa is putting those spools on all of their USDM reels. Nobody needs 400 yards of 15lb braid on a 2500 sized reel
My guess is that it's targeted for the saltwater market. The Exist is a lightweight monocoque reel that is magnesium which may have put off a few saltwater guys. The Luvias is probably safer for saltwater with the Zaion frame.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu May 07, 2020 8:23 am

The reel was shipped out last night via DHL and the expected delivery date is tomorrow. DHL is pretty fast, but it usually takes 1-2 days with customs.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri May 08, 2020 12:21 pm

The reel was delivered this morning which is just as fast as any two day Tackle Warehouse order. Here are some quick thoughts:

1. Reel smoothness out of the box is about the same as a CI4 Stradic. I'm frankly a little disappointed. It just doesn't feel that refined to me. I would give it a 6.5/10. This is how I would rate other reels - Exist LT 10, Stella FJ 9.5, Certate LT 9, Exsense 8.5, Exsense CI4 7, Stradic CI4 and Tatula LT 6.5.

2. I got a made in Japan model.

3. It is super light. 6.35 ounces compared to 6.7 ounces for a Stradic CI4. This is identical to the 3000 CXH Tatula LT.

4. It feels more solid than a Tatula LT.

5. It comes with a reel bag similar to the one that comes with the Certate LT.

6. It has bushings for the drag like the Certate LT. This is an easy upgrade utilizing the Hedgehog kit.

Why should you purchase this reel? You want a light reel that feels solid, but do not want to spend the money on the Exist. The reel is also made in Japan so hypothetically it should have better build quality than a Malysian Stradic CI4 or Exsense CI4. Which brings me to my next point. I'm thinking this is a direct competitor to the Shimano Exsense CI4 in the overseas market. A 4000 sized reel would most likely be great for inshore saltwater like redfish.

Pics - https://photos.app.goo.gl/zqGUuufav6NEQTS46

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sat May 09, 2020 9:31 pm

thats a sweet looking reel Hobey its cool you got a made in japan one and it has a normal size spool. hopefully it becomes more refined with some use i have owned a few reels that after a few times on the water they became a little more smooth and free feeling on the retrieve