At the end of the day, did you like the 13Fishing Concept Z?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

At the end of the day, did you like the 13Fishing Concept Z?

Post by SSS » Mon May 11, 2020 10:49 pm

Now that the time has passed, how do you all feel about this "furthest casting reel you'll ever see"?

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: At the end of the day, did you like the 13Fishing Concept Z?

Post by finfinder » Tue May 12, 2020 5:42 am

I think the fact that they are on Ebay for almost half of what they sold for a year ago combined with the number of negative user reviews on this site is your answer.

I purchased mine from Tacklewarehouse about a year or so ago with great anticipation but it proved inconsistent, it would cast well sometimes but other times it would backlash for no reason I could find. I have at least a dozen baitcasters and I've never had this problem before, the paint chipped easily and it needed a few drops of oil to keep it from squealing.

I've read numerous reviews of other quality control issues and users ultimately giving up on the "z" and 13 fishing.

The market has spoken. I don't even see them for sale anymore on the Tacklewarehouse website.
It was a helluva marketing campaign though ....
Last edited by finfinder on Tue May 12, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue May 12, 2020 7:09 am

Nope I will stick with Daiwa and Shimano

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Tue May 12, 2020 7:34 am

Maybe it's me but I haven't had the urge for a 13 product since the OG Omen. By the time the Concepts were available in LH, it was just mehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Even the Archangel was like, really? It's JDM because it says JDM on the label?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue May 12, 2020 11:31 am

I got one during that $99 sale online. Played with it a bit one day on the water, not too bad. Fits well in the hand, and casts ok. But, then I decided to rid the bushings for some factory Doyo bearings. Casting is better for me, and that weird buzz while casting is gone. I know the reel was more geared to the salty boys, but for $99 I was willing to give it a shot. My girlfriend really likes the looks of it, so Im sure Im gonna lose that reel to her anyways, :lol:
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue May 12, 2020 3:33 pm

I'm pretty sure the name went bust here in Australia...

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 pm

CGrinder wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:34 am
Maybe it's me but I haven't had the urge for a 13 product since the OG Omen. By the time the Concepts were available in LH, it was just mehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Even the Archangel was like, really? It's JDM because it says JDM on the label?
The Archangel did look very JDM and it was made in Japan. I think if they'd sold it for a couple hundred less it'd be in the argument with the best rods. People just didn't want to drop that much on an unknown.

The reels do nothing for me. I didn't like the sharp edge on the palming sideplate. They're not much different than the abu, lews, etc., performance-wise.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed May 13, 2020 8:09 am

tywithay wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 pm
I didn't like the sharp edge on the palming sideplate.
That is what killed them for me. I have a Concept A I used as a frogging rod but I could never find a way to grip it comfortably over a longer session.

I liked the reel in general, it is a great caster and very trouble free. Mine has had a bad bad life but it keeps on trucking despite a few FW and even a few SW immersions.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun May 24, 2020 7:30 am

I've used a few of the concepts for a while now, almost since they came out and no issues. The concept TX is my favorite and has been beaten on and stays consistent.

That said, I got the Z and hated it. Inconsistent casting and it would shriek often so I ditched it. Recently converted the A3 to a light/ slow fall jigging reel and its nice having the bushings but it will shriek whenever I need to cast with it.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun May 24, 2020 11:07 am

I've had mine since they first came out, and I like it.
When I got it new, I broke it down and added a drop of reel oil on all the bushings, and greased the gears.
I have smaller hands, and the reel palms just fine for me.
I throw braid on mine, and use it for frogs, and it's held up, so far.
And it never shrieked or made noise on the cast. If it had, I would have added some oil, and let 13 Fishing know there was a problem.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:56 am

Since the Z reels are now on sale at half price, I bought 3. I am cheap.
The first two came yesterday, and this morning I did what I do with every new reel I buy, I opened one up to add a drop of oil and some gear grease, and to set the centrifugal brakes.
I've found, through sad experience, that most reels, no matter the brand or manuf., need this, because, either they aren't well lubed by the factory, or else they have sat too long and the lubrication has somehow been lost. In a few cases they are over-oiled/lubed, and need to be cleaned and relubed.
But when I opened up the Z reel, I found that it was already so well oiled and greased that I didn't have to do anything at all.
That is a big deal, at least to me, and shows they care about their product.
I opened the second reel, to set the brakes, and added a drop of oil to the two spool bushings that were exposed when I set the brakes. I didn't even feel the need to open the second reel's handle side to check it.
I have one more reel due in Tuesday, and I'll only do the brakes and spool bushings on that one, too.
Just wanted to share my experience.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:29 am

Not at all

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Update...I took one of my new Z reels, spooled with 65lb braid, out for a spin yesterday.
I had a homemade 4", 41 gram whopper plopper tied on, on a Smoke 7'4" frog rod. The setup cast perfectly. Long and smooth.
I only threw that setup for the last half hour before I quit.
I stuck a nice 2+ bass way back shallow over a big weed bed.
I was able to winch it back to the boat, no problem. I really forgot what reel I was using, and that is what I want from my fishing tackle.
So the new Z got broken in.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:30 pm

I picked up two when they went on clearance for $100. I don’t like the buzzing noise on the cast but the retrieve is butter smooth because the spool rides on those CZB bearings. No noise whatsoever during retrieves. I dig it at the price I paid. I also love the way it fits my hands. Very compact and comfortable to fish with all day.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:52 pm

MaxZmus wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:30 pm
I picked up two when they went on clearance for $100. I don’t like the buzzing noise on the cast but the retrieve is butter smooth because the spool rides on those CZB bearings. No noise whatsoever during retrieves. I dig it at the price I paid. I also love the way it fits my hands. Very compact and comfortable to fish with all day.
I always add a drop of oil to the three spool bushings before I use them, and I've never heard any buzzing sound.