Daiwa TWS And Braid, Opinions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa TWS And Braid, Opinions

Post by Jnkoepp » Sat May 30, 2020 4:53 pm

I have a Morethan PE. I have 50lb braid in it. It’s a TWS marketed for braid so I assume it’s just fine

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:49 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:18 pm
BassFreak wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:57 pm
BassFreak wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:33 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:48 am
The only fear I have is that I am sure a larger line connection knot, 50lb-15lb+ fluoro, would catch and potentially cause damage. Solution there is just don't use a long leader, problem solved.

This has been the issue i ran into as well using 65lb braid / 17lb mono with the steez. I mainly use Fg and blood as my connection knot. Can anyone tell me if the zillion tws is a bit larger or can handle the connection knot better than the steez’?
No. If you want to run a long leader then TWS reels are not for you. Luckily there are fantastic older Daiwa platforms to choose from as well as modern Shimanos.
Thanks lowrange. Currently using OG steez’ with sv spools for braid to leader apps. Was thinking of upgrading to zillions but guess not anymore. Haha.
I wonder if one could swap in a Fuego CT level wind into a Zillion SV TW? :-k I'm not sure it it is even possible on the Tatula CT but if it is then it probably is the same case for the Zillion SV TW.
Never thought of that. This is interesting though, I asked not long ago if the new Alphas TW t-wing still tracks back and forth like the original Alphas SV did. That also made me wonder what exactly they did to add a T-wing to that reel...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:03 am

The new Alphas appears to be a whole new platform from scratch.