Forward Leaning

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Forward Leaning

Post by goldrod » Thu May 21, 2020 11:48 pm

My how far reels have come in a relatively short period of time. With the exception of the TDZ platform what was once the pinnacle of technology and functionality in reel has be surpassed so often that it’s hard to keep up. I’m not abreast if this years ICast show was canceled or modified in some way but it sucks because that’s how I start to see what’s unfolding for the next season.
It’s the job of the retailer to sell you the latest and greatest even if it’s just the latest garbage. So it’s hard to really get an honest review at times but their are those who will most definitely give you the truth about any product.
YouTube is flooded with reviews of equipment and I’m more or less but mostly annoyed with the distance casting when there’s not true and accurate means of measuring that the person whose casting is using then exact amount of force each and every time.

Rumors of and impeding recession has made the used equipment market rather dull in my humble opinion. Not a lot of exciting things being sold. And I will admit I’m just as guilty of hoarding certain things that I come across.

The JDM market is alive but the gates are a bit more bottle necked than they once were. Not all but some and thus the USDM would seem to benefit but the st. Croix 2020 is or was the hottest new girl in school until she got suspended and I think I saw the last listing for arrival to stores in July.

I’m contemplating my next purchase especially since I see reels laying around the house as if I brought them just for observation. Since Shimano and Daiwa are at the top of their game I’d like to see a collaboration between the two power houses. I wonder what it would look like, what material it would use etc. Has there ever been a reel that two great manufacturers came together to develop?
If you were on the R&D team which two reel manufacturers would you want to team up and why? What features would you implement from both sides and how would you market such a product?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Forward Leaning

Post by rando » Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 am

I saw in some other topic an idea for shimano carbon monocoque handle and daiwa ags guides on a rod. I would love to see that.
In terms of reels, not sure, but probably magz and sv spools in solid core body. Maybe it's been done and I am not aware.
Last edited by rando on Fri May 22, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bASSMAN
Angler
Angler

Post by bASSMAN » Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm

More ball bearings! How about 36 of them. :lol:
alcedo micron.jpg
alcedo micron.jpg (114.17 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
Modern reels need to go on a diet. 4 oz or less. :laugh1:
Attachments
langley reel.jpg
langley reel.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
langley 340.jpg
langley 340.jpg (31.79 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
langley reel.jpg
langley reel.jpg (23.86 KiB) Viewed 6183 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri May 22, 2020 12:33 pm

Initially I thought about a core 100 with tws
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat May 23, 2020 2:22 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:33 pm
Initially I thought about a core 100 with tws
A Bantam MGL with TWS would be a monster!

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun May 24, 2020 3:44 am

I’d just like to see new Daiwas with some Life. Give us some colors again.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun May 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:44 am
I’d just like to see new Daiwas with some Life. Give us some colors again.
Preach!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 am

All I want from Diawa is to bring back the sv103 and offer a compact sub-$300 reel that takes 34mm spools.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 am

Houndfish wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 am
All I want from Diawa is to bring back the sv103 and offer a compact sub-$300 reel that takes 34mm spools.
In hi-def colors
Out of curiosity do you think companies troll sites like this to hear the pros and cons on there products ?
I wonder how much customer feedback actually makes it to the R&D table ?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 25, 2020 9:57 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 am
Out of curiosity do you think companies troll sites like this to hear the pros and cons on there products ?
I can't speak for other sites, but manufacturers definitely pay attention to TackleTour. Why do you think the manufacturer support forums came into existence? While only the Shimano forum sees much activity (and occasionally 13 fishing) now, I know for a fact 13 Fishing and Abu Garcia have interacted through DM with users on this site in the past. The other support forums kind of died out because the companies did not realize the time and effort it took to keep up and respond to questions. But they still pay attention.

A few others may not spend any time in the forum browsing topics, they do pay attention to the editorial. There probably wouldn't be as many reels made in both left and right hand retrieve if it wasn't for our editorial. On several occasions, upon meeting a reel manufacturer rep at ICAST for the first time, the rep would look at me while introducing a new reel just to tell me that yes, it will be available in left hand retrieve. A lot of the JDM product might still just be JDM or simply not as easy to acquire. Most recently, G.Loomis changed the reel seat on one of their models because it was called out in one of our reviews.

You're quick to credit YouTube reviewers... how many of them came from here or got their ideas from TackleTour? We've been at it for 20 years now. Before us, there were no sites "like this," but because of the groundswell in popularity, now there are many and the manufacturers definitely pay attention. Doesn't mean they take everything to heart, but they do notice.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 25, 2020 11:46 am

Cal wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:57 am
goldrod wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 am
I can't speak for other sites, but manufacturers definitely pay attention to TackleTour. Why do you think the manufacturer support forums came into existence? While only the Shimano forum sees much activity (and occasionally 13 fishing) now, I know for a fact 13 Fishing and Abu Garcia have interacted through DM with users on this site in the past. The other support forums kind of died out because the companies did not realize the time and effort it took to keep up and respond to questions. But they still pay attention.

A few others may not spend any time in the forum browsing topics, they do pay attention to the editorial. There probably wouldn't be as many reels made in both left and right hand retrieve if it wasn't for our editorial. On several occasions, upon meeting a reel manufacturer rep at ICAST for the first time, the rep would look at me while introducing a new reel just to tell me that yes, it will be available in left hand retrieve. A lot of the JDM product might still just be JDM or simply not as easy to acquire. Most recently, G.Loomis changed the reel seat on one of their models because it was called out in one of our reviews.

You're quick to credit YouTube reviewers... how many of them came from here or got their ideas from TackleTour? We've been at it for 20 years now. Before us, there were no sites "like this," but because of the groundswell in popularity, now there are many and the manufacturers definitely pay attention. Doesn't mean they take everything to heart, but they do notice.

Thanks for the response Cal.
Make no mistake I really appreciate THIS site and although I don’t have a clue of what it takes day in and day out the have fresh, new and innovative content. Not to mention the in-depth reviews and break downs
I do appreciate it more than words can express.

I’m glad that consumer feedback is making it to manufacturers ears. I know you can’t please everybody. It is a competitive market on both the USDM and JDM side and although I’d like to try them all, this site helps me navigate toward my personal preferences. Something of which wasn’t really defined when I first joined.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 25, 2020 11:53 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:46 am
Make no mistake I really appreciate THIS site and although I don’t have a clue of what it takes day in and day out the have fresh, new and innovative content. Not to mention the in-depth reviews and break downs

I’m glad that consumer feedback is making it to manufacturers ears. I know you can’t please everybody. It is a competitive market on both the USDM and JDM side and although I’d like to try them all, this site helps me navigate toward my personal preferences. Something of which wasn’t really defined when I first joined.
Then I'm the one that was mistaken. Apologies. I took your initial thread as a slight when you said it's so hard to get an honest review and then talked about YouTube reviewers. ;)

Trust me... manufacturers are sick and tired of me and my left hand movement :lol: ... oh and yes, I feel the lack of enthusiast spirit from Daiwa too the last couple of years. I blame TWS.
Cal, Managing Editor

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:53 am
goldrod wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:46 am

Then I'm the one that was mistaken. Apologies. I took your initial thread as a slight when you said it's so hard to get an honest review and then talked about YouTube reviewers. ;)

Trust me... manufacturers are sick and tired of me and my left hand movement :lol: ... oh and yes, I feel the lack of enthusiast spirit from Daiwa too the last couple of years. I blame TWS.
No no slight at all
To be matter of fact what I was getting at was if you are a retailer and you sale a product. In my experience some times people are just wanting to make the sale and will tell you that this rod or reel is the best, greatest, most innovative, just what you need etc.
so some times it’s hard to cut to the chase with some people.
I emphasize some and not all as I’ve had and do have some good continuity with some retailers. Reading the reviews on TWH.com can be painful and even the YouTube channels are sometimes overtly biased to the open eye. That’s one of the reasons I appreciate this site.
And the character of the members as well. There is a respect of opinions and even an agree to disagree without belittling, defaming or bullying other people. Hence a very pleasurable place to come up to speed on stuff.

So nothing but the upmost Respect and Admiration to the staff.
I was a dreamer when I got here, now some dreams have become shelfqueens 😂

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 25, 2020 12:35 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 pm
I was a dreamer when I got here, now some dreams have become shelfqueens 😂
The end result of being a true believer 👊😂😂
Cal, Managing Editor

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 am
You can build one for around $200 right now from OG Zillion guts and a TDZ magnet set plate or just get spacers. I'm honestly surprised Tackle Trap hasn't sold out on all their SV103 frame kits. A lot cheaper than most of the $300 plus Sv103s that have been posted for sale lately.