Lews KVD reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lews KVD reel?

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:27 am

I had a Banax made 13 Fishing Concept KP that buzzed right out of the box. Traded it for a PX Type R and while it is no brass geared Alphas in smoothness it is lightyears ahead of the Banax in smoothness and noise.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:24 pm

I bought 4 higher end Lews casting reels with aluminum gears over the years and none of them were smooth. Sent them all back.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:34 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:27 am
I had a Banax made 13 Fishing Concept KP that buzzed right out of the box. Traded it for a PX Type R and while it is no brass geared Alphas in smoothness it is lightyears ahead of the Banax in smoothness and noise.
PX has brass gears

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:31 pm

I had several Lew's Tourney Pros and they were very smooth and out lasted my Metaniums, Lew's knows how to make Aluminum gears that hold up. I've had five "Micro Module" reels, all more expensive than the Lew's Tourney and only one was as smooth as the Lew's and it was twice the price.

Kurt

481VSangler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by 481VSangler » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:50 am

johnD wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:08 pm
The KVD baitcaster has aluminum gears.
TW has it listed as having brass gears and I think KVD mentioned that in the little promo video as well. I'm tempted to try one out as this is first Lew's offering that has caught my attention that's below $200. I've briefly used a couple of Lew's and handled several in store, but have never been all that impressed compared to Daiwa and Shimano offerings around that price point. Sounds like this one should be pretty good for $140.

Figured I'd also add, first post here. Long time lurker, but just now made an account. Have caught myself spending more time on here than BBC (same username), so here we go. :big grin:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:12 am

Brass gears according to the information provided to us by Lew's : http://tackletour.com/reviewicast20lewskvd.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:17 pm

481VSangler wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:50 am
johnD wrote:
TW has it listed as having brass gears and I think KVD mentioned that in the little promo video as well. I'm tempted to try one out as this is first Lew's offering that has caught my attention that's below $200. I've briefly used a couple of Lew's and handled several in store, but have never been all that impressed compared to Daiwa and Shimano offerings around that price point. Sounds like this one should be pretty good for $140.

Figured I'd also add, first post here. Long time lurker, but just now made an account. Have caught myself spending more time on here than BBC (same username), so here we go. :big grin:
:welc:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:32 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:17 pm
481VSangler wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:50 am
johnD wrote:

:welc:
X2, glad you joined us.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:14 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:16 am

As funny as it sounds, Shimanos gears are complete junk. From the "I" series up, nothing but pure garbage for durability. Plenty of friends with Doyo products (mostly Lews) that flip/punch/frog with reels with aluminum gears and no "geary" feel after prolonged use. Their Shimano I's, K's, SLX's, not soo much. [-X

I personally stick to the 2009 era and down with Shimano reels.
I agree that Shimano aluminium gears don't hold up well. What kind of problems have you had with the Curado I series? I have 7 and the gears have held up great so far.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:33 am

Markanthony404 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:14 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:16 am

As funny as it sounds, Shimanos gears are complete junk. From the "I" series up, nothing but pure garbage for durability. Plenty of friends with Doyo products (mostly Lews) that flip/punch/frog with reels with aluminum gears and no "geary" feel after prolonged use. Their Shimano I's, K's, SLX's, not soo much. [-X

I personally stick to the 2009 era and down with Shimano reels.
I agree that Shimano aluminium gears don't hold up well. What kind of problems have you had with the Curado I series? I have 7 and the gears have held up great so far.
For some reason, they hold up in the 200s, but not the 70s and they use the same gear set.
<")))><{