Mag3D

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Mag3D

Post by jvelth74 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 am

I found interesting Magforce 3D curves:

But I don't understand what it represents :-D In my opinion it can't be braking force / spool revolutions. (Because curve shows that in LongCast position curve rises twice that high than in Max Brake position.) It's something else... :-k Could there be wrong curves? Max brake curve => Long cast & Long Cast curve => Max Brake

Those casting curves are clear, but something strange is in braking curves. If that is braking curve. But if it's not braking curve, what it is?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 28, 2020 5:11 pm

My understanding is that Magforce 3D changes the braking profile. Long cast will move the magnet rings away from the inductor and only when centrifugal force extends the inductor into the magnets does any braking occur. It would be like running a short depth inductor on a spool. The opposite is true with max brake which move the magnet rings very close and acts like the inductor is very long or has a weak spring. In one reel and spool you can have the two extremes of distance tuned braking profile and a control braking profile and well as everywhere in between.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu May 28, 2020 5:48 pm

On the chart, the upward slope represents the rpms necessary to engage the brakes. The downward slope is the brake profile during the slow down part of the cast. That's why the blue has the highest peak before the slope.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 pm

Yes, it's clear that:

- Mag 3D moves magnets

- 3D creates different braking profiles, resulting different arc shapes in cast

- In Max Control position moving inductor is always significantly in magnetic field, and difference of braking power between inductor out vs. inductor in is smallest

- In Max Distance / Long Cast moving inductor is not significantly in magnetic field when inductor is in, and therefore difference of braking power between inductor out vs. inductor in is greatest

- Because 3D effects to distance between magnets and inductor, also Magforce initial setting needs to be adjusted when adjusting 3D, if similar braking force still is needed in the begining of cast

Still those mag curves seems strange to me

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu May 28, 2020 9:02 pm

The curves look identical to me. Only difference is the height in relation to the rpms on the left. Makes sense because the magnetic pull is static. Distance from the inductor is the only thing that changes.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Yes, thanks - obvious those are spool speed (revolutions) / time curves. (Not brake force curves.) For Spool speed / time curves makes sense, assuming that only Mag 3D is adjusted and magforce basic setting is not touched.

(I have used 3D, when I use it, by adjusting brakes like that it's all way close to backlash. If I change 3D from Max Control to LongCast, I must add Magforce basic setting, to get similar braking force in the beginning of cast to avoid backlash. And because magnets are now in a greater distance, magnetic brake will reduce more by inductor retraction.)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 29, 2020 3:58 am

When i use 3D I don't HAVE to adjust the mag dial between long cast and other modes but I do. I set it for long cast and just move up the Magforce 3D to where I want it and then increase the mag dial braking when I want lots of control to pick apart cover. When I return to long cast I count the number of clicks back to where I was. I'm never going to run LESS mag dial in all around or max brake modes. I want those modes for additional control. Typically I set the reel up for long cast then move to all around at the same dial setting to cast into the wind then switch to max brake and sometimes more dial to skip and place baits into cover.

I would start at long cast mode and only use the other modes for shorter casts. If you start at max brake for max distance then you will experience backlash once moving to long cast.

This is why we can't have Magforce 3D.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:10 am

^ That makes sense.

I basicly love to control headwind casts with thumb and of course distance accurate casts by thumb.

For common fishing I need reel cast control only for beginning of cast and slight control during cast. (Ok, can fish without any reel control; I tried to remove line guide and centrifugal weights and degreased bearings from 2500 C - Can cast but it was pain in the ass.)

And sometimes when I play serious distance casts, then magnetic brake in in my opinion better to control all.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Sat May 30, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Fri May 29, 2020 5:13 pm

Just got a deps 2020. Looking forward to playing with it

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Fri May 29, 2020 6:09 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:13 pm
Just got a deps 2020. Looking forward to playing with it

You’re going to like it :mrgreen:

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Fri May 29, 2020 6:11 pm

It does seem like a cool reel. I bet it could be more popular if they built something 3/4 size