Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
fishonsc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:43 am

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by fishonsc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:06 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:45 pm
fishonsc wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:01 am
The going rate for used SV103s is insane if you can even find them for sale. I wish I would have picked one up when I could have gotten them new.
I have not bought a new Daiwa casting reel since I picked up a good many sv103's when they where on close out. Probably pick up enough to last the rest of my life. Lol. There is nothing Daiwa is making now that interest me except the alpha ct.
Would those SV103s happen to be in lefty?? ;)

Yep but not really interested in getting rid of any. They are amazing reels. Put a Zillion SV TW spool inductor and a hlc spring and they will cast light to heavy. Aluminum frame and side plate. Brass gears. Smooth drag and built like a tank. No clue why Daiwa got rid of it. One of the top 3 reels Daiwa has put out IMHO.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:38 am
Location: Southwest CT

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:01 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:06 pm
Craiger12 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:45 pm
fishonsc wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:01 am
The going rate for used SV103s is insane if you can even find them for sale. I wish I would have picked one up when I could have gotten them new.
I have not bought a new Daiwa casting reel since I picked up a good many sv103's when they where on close out. Probably pick up enough to last the rest of my life. Lol. There is nothing Daiwa is making now that interest me except the alpha ct.
Would those SV103s happen to be in lefty?? ;)

Yep but not really interested in getting rid of any. They are amazing reels. Put a Zillion SV TW spool inductor and a hlc spring and they will cast light to heavy. Aluminum frame and side plate. Brass gears. Smooth drag and built like a tank. No clue why Daiwa got rid of it. One of the top 3 reels Daiwa has put out IMHO.
I absolutely agree and totally understand. Hope you keep enjoying them.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 731
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:43 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:02 pm

The Steez SV TW with the right spool is an awesome reel just as good as the OG steez. And they have a couple newer reels that aren't run of the mill like the new Ryoga & Millionaire. But I agree the majority of their newer reels are rather bland in appearance compared to the older models. And how come their are no longer Megabass tuned versions like their used to be? For example TD ito & Personal Order versions of the TD-Z, IS versions of the Zillion, Lin 10 version of Ryoga, Monoblock version of Millionare. Pretty much every reel had a slightly performance enhanced Megabass version that looks nicer. Is their a reason we don't see this? I could imagine a megabass tuned Steez SV TW or CT reel could really be awesome.

But the good thing is if we aren't happy with the newer Daiwa reels the old models can be highly upgraded and modernized! Nothing wrong with getting any version of a TDZ and upgrading your spool, drag, gears, handle, and having a reel as good or better than anything made by anyone today! Same goes for most of the OG Daiwa / Megabass stuff, and some like a LIN 10 need nothing upgraded to be as good as anything ever made.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:45 pm

Isn't both new Steez considered an upgrade over the last gen? I'm not a big of the old gen Steez. Somehow I ended up with 4 of them (IS73, SS SV103, SS SV105 Steez TLD) and I like my Alphas better of which I also have 4 (Alsphas SV, Alphas SV, Zonda Roso, Aphas Ito). I only own the 4 Steez for the 34mm spool compatibility back when your options were Steez, T3 or TD-Z. I got them all for deals too good to pass up. They are great and all but palm wider than an Alphas and are a little long. They are also hollow thanks to the magnesium which means that every little clunk and buzz is heard as the reel wear with use. You end up with a "deteriorating refinement" for a lack if better words that I have not experienced with my Aluminum frame and brass gear Alphas.

Based on everything I have heard the current gen Steez is a superior reel. I plan on picking up an example of that platform with the aluminum frame and side plate Morethan PE TW 2019.

User avatar
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 am
Location: Midlothian, Illinois

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by TommyG » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:18 am

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:41 pm
TommyG wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:50 am
Wonder if the line guide from the 12 Antares would fit in the Bantam?
Bantam already has the conical line guide but suffers from the shorter spool to line guide aspect than other reels.
Indeed it does, the line guide in the Antares just looked bigger. If you center the line guide on the Bantam before you cast, it does well, but if it's off to the side it suffers. Otherwise it's a badass reel. :big grin:

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11794
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:23 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:45 pm
I'm not a big of the old gen Steez.
The only Steez that mattered was the original 103 with the Type R+ tuned rotor. Subsequent models felt watered down to me, but yes, it's certainly larger in overall size than the Alphas. Daiwa even changed that reel somehow after the original purple one. None of the ones I bought after the purple had the same magic and I don't know why. The MB version was ok, but after that... eh.

I do like how the Steez A TW 1016 fishes, but it's rarely called to me after I wrote up the review. It must bother me subconsciously to have the TW in a Steez. I also liked the way the Alphas SV performed, but the color scheme is so bland, I honestly forgot I have it and what it is. 🤷‍♂️
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:35 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:39 am
To the poster who complained of roughness in his Zillion SV TW's retrieve, was it that way or smooth when purchased? Mine doesn't have many hours on it, but provides a very smooth retrieve. I hope it isn't doomed to swift degradation.
The TWS Zillions are not as smooth and refined as the old TD Zillions. I'm sure they are just fine in their own right but they are an inferior platform to the platform it replaced. I don't have one because I refuse to pay $300 for a Tatula platform but guys who have both have all said, repeatedly, for years now, that there is no comparison in smoothness and refinement. The only advantages the Zillion TW SV has is the lighter weight and 1016 spools compatibility. There is a 1016 spool TD Zillion, the SV103, but no one lets those go. You have to buy a frame and build your own now.

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11794
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:49 am

Ok... attempted to clean up this thread.

For those who would prefer to continue monitoring and contributing to the insanity that is the dark side of this post, you can find it here Is Daiwa Becoming : The Off Topic Turn

Otherwise, please feel free to contribute your thoughts to the original topic of this thread 8-)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4387
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 am

Okay, here’s my never owned a Tatula, never really wanted Tatu-Mano. If I wanted a Shimano spool, I would buy a Shimano reel. What was that spool type called? Sabre? Scimitar? Scabbard? I can’t recall. Anyway, what’s the difference?
That said, couldn’t you have said the same thing about Daiwa’s dependence upon the TD-Z frames? The Zillion frames?
There’s not a lot of sense in reinventing the wheel you design a reel. Tatula is just another phase.

SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 am

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 am
Okay, here’s my never owned a Tatula, never really wanted Tatu-Mano. If I wanted a Shimano spool, I would buy a Shimano reel. What was that spool type called? Sabre? Scimitar? Scabbard? I can’t recall. Anyway, what’s the difference?
That said, couldn’t you have said the same thing about Daiwa’s dependence upon the TD-Z frames? The Zillion frames?
There’s not a lot of sense in reinventing the wheel you design a reel. Tatula is just another phase.
Back when TDZ was a thing, they had many frames and everything was made in Japan. Now, they still have a decent amount of frames, but many begin to look like Tats 2.0 and Tats 3.0, cost as much as before, but made in Thailand.

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4387
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:54 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 am
Johnny A wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 am
Okay, here’s my never owned a Tatula, never really wanted Tatu-Mano. If I wanted a Shimano spool, I would buy a Shimano reel. What was that spool type called? Sabre? Scimitar? Scabbard? I can’t recall. Anyway, what’s the difference?
That said, couldn’t you have said the same thing about Daiwa’s dependence upon the TD-Z frames? The Zillion frames?
There’s not a lot of sense in reinventing the wheel you design a reel. Tatula is just another phase.
Back when TDZ was a thing, they had many frames and everything was made in Japan. Now, they still have a decent amount of frames, but many begin to look like Tats 2.0 and Tats 3.0, cost as much as before, but made in Thailand.
What were the TD-Z frames? “Standard” RH, “Standard” LH, “LH” Flippin’/Pitchin’ model

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2136
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:55 am

Perhaps what’s worse is that Daiwa is completely tone deaf to their customers. (Or atleast the ones in America).

When the T-wing came out, it received a lukewarm reception at best(and I think “lukewarm” is being generous). And what did they do? Put it in everything.

Or maybe they just don’t care what customers think. As someone earlier in the thread mentioned- it most likely comes down to cost saving measures in the manufacturing, being able to share tooling across platforms.

It’s all a bummer.
But it’s nothing new. Seems all companies these days are in a race to the bottom- it’s all about making stuff as cheap as possible.

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11794
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:41 am

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:54 am
What were the TD-Z frames? “Standard” RH, “Standard” LH, “LH” Flippin’/Pitchin’ model
in both magnesium (TD-Z) and aluminum = TD-X - which became Zillion, TD-S (in flipping config only)... one offs like the Big Bait Special
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4387
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 am

Cal wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:41 am
Johnny A wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:54 am
What were the TD-Z frames? “Standard” RH, “Standard” LH, “LH” Flippin’/Pitchin’ model
in both magnesium (TD-Z) and aluminum = TD-X - which became Zillion, TD-S (in flipping config only)... one offs like the Big Bait Special
The 100s were spool size or frame size?

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11794
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:21 am

They were all the same basic frame size... just different materials, and some different spool diameters. The US models were all weird.. but the JDM models looked similar:

USDM TDX

JDM TDX

Big Bait Special
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Post Reply