Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:45 am

tywithay wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:24 am
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:38 am
Daiwa needs to:

Broaden itself a bit more from 100 variantions of Tatula

Add more color, limited release reels and have MB variants

Keep at least 2 reel platforms that utilize the 34mm spools. They can have one be aluminum and one be magnesium. The frames, ratios and appearance they can do as they wish with but keep the spool a 34mm

Start putting CF handles on more of their higher end reels

Utilize the 3d breaking system again on a platform or two

Personally I feel 90% of their efforts are geared towards the younger angler. They guy who watches or makes YouTube clickbait vids for $, the kid fresh out of school looking to pick up the sport or those who either can’t or don’t want spend much on a reel. There is very little being done to please the “enthusiast crowd” for many of the reasons I noted above.
Dumb that they'd cater to millions of YouTube followers instead of a few hundred enthusiasts...
Absolutely not, it makes sense to sell watered down stuff the masses. Give the people what they need. It is just they are lacking things that have that woe factor aside from a few things for the enthusiast crowd. Daiwa now doesn’t have the same feel as Daiwa from the early 2000s to about 2017.

Probably a good reason you don’t see many classic Daiwa reels being sold on here as often as you once did. People just aren’t willing to give them up knowing that all they can replace them with are pretty much Steez or Tatulas and a few other platforms mixed in most of which would be only bought in Japan. And purchasing anything from Japan nowadays isn’t an easy task

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:01 am

The going rate for used SV103s is insane if you can even find them for sale. I wish I would have picked one up when I could have gotten them new.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:03 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:39 am
CGrinder wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:27 am
Yes, it does seem so. I would have liked to see the Alphas platform continue as 33mm instead of going CT then Stream Custom, but I just like Alphas. As a long time opponent of the T-wing due to reel size and the perception of minimal gains in exchange for said size, I am extremely happy with the Tatula 100 frame. I have pretty average hands (M in latex gloves, ML in golf) paired with a nagging nerve issue, and the OG Zillion is just outside what is comfortable for me to palm. I am less thrilled about the cheapening of components at the various price points and the high end getting astronomically high.

Honestly the Zillion frame was dead to me after my first frog fish on the Bantam. More hot takes: the Zillion SV TW is a worthy successor to the Zillion name. I purchased one from Tackle Trap a couple weeks back and it's a monster that I should have bought years ago.
The Tatula CT thing they call a Zillion TW SV isn't even close to a TD Zillion in smoothness a palming profile. No comparison. The thing is geary and loud. The mag dials sticks out and is roughly textured on the edge. The front is very wide and uncomfortable to wrap your finger around the nose with even XL glove wearing hands. It is just an inferior platform. I'll take a TD Zillion SV103 any day of the week.
Ok, cool man. Agree to disagree. I find it more comfortable. Maybe it's a height thing. I can say it was impossible for me to comfortably fish my Power Versatile with a Zillion on it and a Bantam in its place makes a huge difference.

I know the OG Zillions get a lot of love here. The guys I sold mine to are super happy to have 'em. But I don't want to see Daiwa go backward (unless it's that Z1016 we all keep talking aboot). However I'm not saying I want to go forward into $800 Tatulas, either.

To be honest, we're all going to chase Personal Orders with ZPI spools and try to be Teal anyway, so in the grand scheme I don't think it matters what Daiwa does.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 am

Can’t wait for PO Tats!...

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:07 am

I just want them to stick with a few standard spool sizes. What got me into Daiwa over Shimano at first was the lure of spool interchangeability, I love being able to switch between line types to try out whatever dumb idea I have w/o having to respool.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:01 am
The going rate for used SV103s is insane if you can even find them for sale. I wish I would have picked one up when I could have gotten them new.
I have not bought a new Daiwa casting reel since I picked up a good many sv103's when they where on close out. Probably pick up enough to last the rest of my life. Lol. There is nothing Daiwa is making now that interest me except the alpha ct.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:31 pm

I love the OG Zillions and Steezs but I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you don’t at least handle a Steez A and Morethan PE TW

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:26 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 am
LowRange wrote:
I have not bought a new Daiwa casting reel since I picked up a good many sv103's when they where on close out. Probably pick up enough to last the rest of my life. Lol. There is nothing Daiwa is making now that interest me except the alpha ct.
My Alphas CT SV just got here today. It's pretty

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:03 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:31 pm
I love the OG Zillions and Steezs but I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you don’t at least handle a Steez A and Morethan PE TW
The steez(s), the ryoga and the millionaire ct sv, alphas air stream (if they're even still made), alphas ct sv are all great. It ends there.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:10 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:12 am
I'm not so concerned anymore about where Daiwa makes their product. Their Thailand factory has pumped out some quality gear.

What I do miss, however, is how each line of reels, Alphas/Sol, Zillion, Steez/TDZ all kind of had their own flavor. At the same time, there was a period when they were making TD-Z, TD-X, TD-S, where reels across a few lines shared a lot of characteristics. So it appears they're going back to that business model. From a manufacturer stand point it makes sense because it saves money on tooling and all that, and if successful, which it appears to be for Daiwa, why do anything else? From a consumer perspective, well, a lot of us feel the impact of Daiwa's product not having that same enthusiast appeal it used to have.
By re-using the same'ish frames, they sure save money, and reels being made in Thailand, saves em even more money. But what do we get at the end? Reels aren't cheaper for us. They (generelizing of course) look all the same, and have generic looking paint jobs (let me tell you about that matte or gloss black with dem red accents!! so exciting.....). That is not what i know the daiwa's for, and certainly not the reason its my preferred brand.

I did not have a good experience with a few Thailand made Daiwa's (Tats and T3's).

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Save for your experience with those few Thailand made reels, we're saying the same thing SSS.

More than a few times this year, I've perused the selection of Daiwa casting reels over at TackleWarehouse thinking I need to add a new model to my lineup so I don't look so Abu but especially Shimano slanted in my rod reviews, but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on anything. I do really like my Millionaire CT SV70 though, so maybe I just need to fish that more. 🤷‍♂️
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:41 pm

TommyG wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:50 am
Wonder if the line guide from the 12 Antares would fit in the Bantam?
Bantam already has the conical line guide but suffers from the shorter spool to line guide aspect than other reels.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:06 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:10 pm
Cal wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:12 am
I'm not so concerned anymore about where Daiwa makes their product. Their Thailand factory has pumped out some quality gear.

What I do miss, however, is how each line of reels, Alphas/Sol, Zillion, Steez/TDZ all kind of had their own flavor. At the same time, there was a period when they were making TD-Z, TD-X, TD-S, where reels across a few lines shared a lot of characteristics. So it appears they're going back to that business model. From a manufacturer stand point it makes sense because it saves money on tooling and all that, and if successful, which it appears to be for Daiwa, why do anything else? From a consumer perspective, well, a lot of us feel the impact of Daiwa's product not having that same enthusiast appeal it used to have.
By re-using the same'ish frames, they sure save money, and reels being made in Thailand, saves em even more money. But what do we get at the end? Reels aren't cheaper for us. They (generelizing of course) look all the same, and have generic looking paint jobs (let me tell you about that matte or gloss black with dem red accents!! so exciting.....). That is not what i know the daiwa's for, and certainly not the reason its my preferred brand.

I did not have a good experience with a few Thailand made Daiwa's (Tats and T3's).
I will say the gloss black with red Steez namikis are the real deal. Other than that, I agree

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:08 pm

Honestly, it’s hard to beat an OG Steez with a ZPI spool...yet I keep on buying more to play with

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:45 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 am
LowRange wrote:
Would those SV103s happen to be in lefty?? ;)