What's the best all around baitcaster??

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What's the best all around baitcaster??

Post by Loafer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:14 am

I think answer for your question is "Daiwa's Steez SV TW".
With many additional spools options available for this reel (Japan or China made, SV or fixed inductor), you may use it as for hard lures, as for jig (3-30 g weight).

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 am

Loafer wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:14 am
With many additional spools options available for this reel (Japan or China made, SV or fixed inductor), you may use it as for hard lures, as for jig (3-30 g weight).
Likely going to have a tough time finding one, especially including the price of additional spools, for around $250.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:02 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 am
Likely going to have a tough time finding one, especially including the price of additional spools, for around $250.
Sorry, don't saw 250$ budget.
In this case Tatula SV TW looks very good variant: reel + additional spool.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:39 am

Another vote for the antares 70. Paired mine up with a conquest 903 and have thrown everything on it.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Loafer wrote:
I have used mine with the stock spool from 3/16 to 3oz.
The best reel you can get if you are investing only in one reel.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
Loafer wrote:
You don’t need additional spools.
I do a lot of bank fishing and with every outing I get more minimalist and as a consequence, more effective.
One rod (Super Stallion GT), one reel (Steez SH or XH with a 105 SV spool), couple of SlideSwimmers 175, a couple of spinnerbaits, some creatures and worms.

I go around with a good 16 to 20lb FC and this is mandatory for me.

This will be 75% of what I need around the year.
I might downsize or upsize or refine the baits but unless other types of bites are obvious, I don’t change.

The worst you can do is to get too much variety.
Get what works and get good at it.
Hope it helps.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:13 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:32 pm
Craiger12 wrote:
Loafer wrote:
You don’t need additional spools.
I do a lot of bank fishing and with every outing I get more minimalist and as a consequence, more effective.
One rod (Super Stallion GT), one reel (Steez SH or XH with a 105 SV spool), couple of SlideSwimmers 175, a couple of spinnerbaits, some creatures and worms.

I go around with a good 16 to 20lb FC and this is mandatory for me.

This will be 75% of what I need around the year.
I might downsize or upsize or refine the baits but unless other types of bites are obvious, I don’t change.

The worst you can do is to get too much variety.
Get what works and get good at it.
Hope it helps.
I certainly agree with what you are saying. I'm primarily a boat/kayak guy but I will usually only bring 3 rods with me and often times I only bring 2. I'm sure I could get by using just one setup as you say, but where is the fun in that?? This is TT after all :lol:

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:12 pm

Considering the main factors (MH/F rod, Bank fishing, all around under $250], I say just get a 6.3 or 7.1 variant of the Shimano SLX. Let’s face it, you’re not gonna throw light lures with that rod and the SLX will handle 1/4-1oz just fine. Use the rest of the money for a fishing trip or a nice dinner for your girl so she’d let you go fish! 😉

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:54 am

Just buy an OG zillion, that's the best all round reel for your price range, you could get a jdream for less than$250.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:33 pm

I dont have any experience with the tatula but do have a curado dc. It sounds cool and will bomb most lures but I would recommend the curado k. Once you have the svs system dialed in it is a great all around reel.

481VSangler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by 481VSangler » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:01 am

With the $250 cap and choice of rod in mind, I'd say the Scorpion MGL. I carry two rods bank fishing and it has been one of my go to reels since I got it. I have it paired with a 7' MH for bottom contact stuff. Think of it as a Curado K that's a bit more refined. For Shimanos, I have the Scorpion, Curado K, Curado E, and a SLX DC and the Scorpion is easily my favorite. Honestly though, for bank fishing I'd probably just pick whichever Tatula, SLX, or Curado/Scorpion you like the best or can find the best deal on and call it good. They'll all do the job down to about 3/16oz, in my experience. Some will do the lighter range easier than others, like the Tat SV that was suggested, but that just comes down to what weight range you throw the most. Point being, I wouldn't spend the full $250 with the sub $200 offerings out there from Daiwa and Shimano. Use whatever you save on other tackle, getting a good bank fishing backpack squared away, multitool, whatever may be lacking in your current setup, or just save it for later.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:01 am

Easy for me i would buy a new jdm bantam mgl from asian fishing portal or spend 50$ more and get the 2020 metainum mgl

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Another vote for the Metanium MGL. If you can find a sale you can get it for closer to $300. That will probably be your best distance caster from shore. Or better yet you may be able to find one of the 2016 metaniums on sale in your price range.

Otherwise I've heard good things about the Tatula Elites.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:31 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:54 am
Just buy an OG zillion, that's the best all round reel for your price range, you could get a jdream for less than$250.
x2

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Bantam MGL from Japan.