What's the best all around baitcaster??

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bigslobs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

What's the best all around baitcaster??

Post by bigslobs » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:58 am

Hello, this is my first time buying an "expensive reel". I currently use a match 2 lew's combo and want to upgrade to something that will hopefully make my fishing experience more enjoyable. Since I don't own a boat I only bank fish so bringing multiple rods would be very cumbersome. I'm looking for a baitcaster which I can use for everything. I'm aware no one baitcaster can do it all but there is probably something out there that can do almost everything pretty well. My research has led me to new tatula sv tw or the Shimano curado dc; however, I am open to any suggestions.

P.s. I'm not trying to start a debate between those to reels, those just seem to be the ones I hear the most

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's the best all around baitcaster??

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:01 am

The Curado DC is going to be skewed towards heavier baits and the Tatula SV towards lighter baits with a lot of overlap in between. They exist and opposite ends of the spectrum. What types of baits do you fish or plan on fishing? This will help to point you in the right direction.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:09 am

The new SV TW does everything from a weightless fluke to a 3/4 oz lipless. I don't know how much more all round you could want. With the heavier baits, distance is excellent; no choked off spool like some other SV reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:18 am

I found my last gen Tatula SV capacity challenged and over braked for bombing frogs. It didn't hold a lot of 65# braid yet had to be cast really hard to spool it of that braid. The low capacity and strong breaking profile are great for skipping and light weight baits but I prefer a reel with more capacity and a distance tune braking profile when throwing frogs let alone swimbaits. I'm going to bump that reel off the 72H Hyuga once I can get a Catalina TW for cheap enough.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:59 am

I'll give my opinion on the thread title/question and not the two reels your considering.

"best all around" I would lean toward the Antares 70. TT review indicates it can handle 5 gram lures, I personally use it exclusivly for 18-52 gram lures. A single rod will limit the breadth of use more than the reel. A bit heavy, yes. Limited line capacity, yes. Pricey, yes. None of these are factors that I couldn't work around if I was only picking one reel.
I haven't heard many people talk about it, but I believe the new Met uses the same spool as the Antares (could be wrong). If so, maybe it has the same lure range as the Ant, at a couple of hundred dollars cheaper and 1.5oz lighter.
All that said, and I bought two Daiwa's this week, (my 2nd CT SV and a replacement 105 Ltd.) :roll:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:10 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:59 am
I'll give my opinion on the thread title/question and not the two reels your considering.

"best all around" I would lean toward the Antares 70. TT review indicates it can handle 5 gram lures, I personally use it exclusivly for 18-52 gram lures. A single rod will limit the breadth of use more than the reel. A bit heavy, yes. Limited line capacity, yes. Pricey, yes. None of these are factors that I couldn't work around if I was only picking one reel.
I haven't heard many people talk about it, but I believe the new Met uses the same spool as the Antares (could be wrong). If so, maybe it has the same lure range as the Ant, at a couple of hundred dollars cheaper and 1.5oz lighter.
All that said, and I bought two Daiwa's this week, (my 2nd CT SV and a replacement 105 Ltd.) :roll:

I would agree with you but I would also have to understand what the op meant by do it all? I saw that because you have to have a rod to compliment the reel and make it a do all “system” rather than one single diverse component.

I would ask the original poster to clarify what is meant by do it all and to also inform us of the rod that will be paired with the reel.

Just my humble opinion because there are a lot of reels that can do some amazing things but are limited by the rods upon which they sit.
A PXTR is a good example of a reel that can pitch, frog and go really light but you’d need a rod to do two of the three at any one given time
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:13 am

OG Steez 103H

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:16 am

The Valkyrie 7’1” rod and Antares 70 would be my most diverse system setup
That rod can do squarebills, swim jigs, pitching and flipping jigs, Texas rigs , top water, rerange and dou Realis 110-120, football jigs , wacky style worms
Weightless senko
It’s “good” at a lot of things not the best at any one thing and the antares 70 can adjust to any line size. So those were my thoughts for what it’s worth. Good luck with your search
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:13 pm

Daiwa Steez CT. Capable to cast 2g to 50g lures with og spool. Just change rod (and line).

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:33 pm

Best all around is probably the Bantam MGL or Steez A, in my opinion. Best in the price range the reels you mentioned, the Coastal SV TW or Tatula elite(I like both way more than the Tatula SV) or the Curado DC.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:

"best all around" I would lean toward the Antares 70.
As a bonus, if you get hungry while beating the bank, you can cook an egg on it. :evil22:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:51 pm

bigslobs wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:58 am
Hello, this is my first time buying an "expensive reel".
As you can see from the responses thus far, recommendations are all over the place because everyone's definition of "expensive" is different. It's best to state up to what price you're comfortable spending at this point in time and any other characteristics you like in a casting reel to help narrow down the recommendations.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

bigslobs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bigslobs » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:13 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:10 am
Aquaftm45 wrote:

I would agree with you but I would also have to understand what the op meant by do it all? I saw that because you have to have a rod to compliment the reel and make it a do all “system” rather than one single diverse component.

I would ask the original poster to clarify what is meant by do it all and to also inform us of the rod that will be paired with the reel.

Just my humble opinion because there are a lot of reels that can do some amazing things but are limited by the rods upon which they sit.
A PXTR is a good example of a reel that can pitch, frog and go really light but you’d need a rod to do two of the three at any one given time
Well If I put it on my current rod it's a medium heavy fast action 7-foot rod. I find that this rod performs pretty well in most applications, and I don't see any drastic downsides, therefore I see myself going with something very similar. Also, I see how many people are suggesting the Antares, but I'm only 16, and I don't have the money for a reel of that caliber. $250 is about the highest I'd go. I appreciate everyone's responses as well, you guys are obviously very knowledgeable.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:57 pm

I would look on that auction site for an SV 105SH. It should cover a lot of bases for you. The reel is very versatile. I have pitched 1 oz jigs and thrown 1/8 oz spinnerbaits with mine, of course with different line spooled on.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Alphas ct sv, my new favorite at awesome price. Just an awesome reel that can do anything and gets even more awesome with gomexus power handle.