Shimano Stradic FL (Smootheness)?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Walleyehawger
Angler
Angler

Re: Shimano Stradic FL (Smootheness)?

Post by Walleyehawger » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:18 pm

I got 2 of the FL in the 3000XG the other day. I have not bought a stradic since the MGFA came out. I have been fishing Sustains for years and years now. 5he reels are very smooth. The drag, while it has not failed me at all in any way, has a slight bit of stutter or chop in it. It is not terrible, or a hindrance to the reel. It just something that I noticed. I have landed a lot of fish in them already, and they have preformed fine. Perhaps it is from fishing my Sustains for so long, and the Stradic drag just isn’t going to be as smooth.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:44 pm

That’s the “upgraded” carbon fiber drag. I’ve learned the hard way that any line you use 12lb and under, the drag is better with the regular felt washers. I believe the new FL’s are felt in the 1000 and 2500, carbon fiber in 3000 and up. Wonder if you can swap out to 2500 felt, previous models 2500 & 3000 shared the same drag stack. Worth looking into, if that stutter bothers you.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:14 pm

They should all be the same size and part swap out between the different size reels and spools

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 pm

I've never had a decent spinning reel before, and thus far I love my stradic FL.

Walleyehawger
Angler
Angler

Post by Walleyehawger » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:41 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:44 pm
That’s the “upgraded” carbon fiber drag. I’ve learned the hard way that any line you use 12lb and under, the drag is better with the regular felt washers. I believe the new FL’s are felt in the 1000 and 2500, carbon fiber in 3000 and up. Wonder if you can swap out to 2500 felt, previous models 2500 & 3000 shared the same drag stack. Worth looking into, if that stutter bothers you.
Thanks very much for the tip. I am looking into that now.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Wtheck? Carbon drag is supposedly superior in every way. It cant be the same material as the Carbontex brand, because those actually increase top-end pressure AND smoothness vs stock drags on every Shimano and Daiwa reel drag I've replaced over the years. That's not a good look for Shimano. [-X
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:53 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 pm
That's not a good look for Shimano. [-X
I've actually bought some stock felt and am going to test felt washers in my BFS baitcasters...

Bought it in hi-vis pink and orange. May become trendy.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:53 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
That's not a good look for Shimano. [-X
I've actually bought some stock felt and am going to test felt washers in my BFS baitcasters...

Bought it in hi-vis pink and orange. May become trendy.
Rofl! :lol: =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wtheck? Carbon drag is supposedly superior in every way. It cant be the same material as the Carbontex brand, because those actually increase top-end pressure AND smoothness vs stock drags on every Shimano and Daiwa reel drag I've replaced over the years. That's not a good look for Shimano. [-X
Speaking to spinning reels only, I thought I was upgrading my CI4+ FA’s and Sustain FG’s with Carbontex. That stutter mentioned, extreme slip on hooksets unless tightened down too much for the line I’m using - so I would have to back off the drag knob immediately after the hookset (very noticeable on 1000 sized reels) = no dice for me.

I’m not a lock down the drag kind of guy, though. My bass-only buddies love the carbontex drags because they lock down their drags, use heavier line and rods for applications that I use lighter line and lighter rods. Don’t misconstrue, I don’t let my drag loose and let fish run uninhibited. I need just enough give for the line I’m using. That people that “tire the fish out” annoy the heck out of me.

I haven’t found carbontex to be smooth in a total of 13 of the above mentioned reels sized 1000 - 4000. Swapped them all out to swap them all back to stock. Tried greased, ungreased, flipped the bottom cross-hatch disc both ways, no way eh. Light line with a smooth drag, I’m using factory oiled/greased felt. They definitely need replaced regularly if you are on bigger fish that run, like salmon and steelhead. Walleyes and bass, I’m not replacing them every season, at least.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:49 am

DrTrevorkian wrote:
That’s the “upgraded” carbon fiber drag. I’ve learned the hard way that any line you use 12lb and under, the drag is better with the regular felt washers.
Like many I fell for that "carbontex always better" scheme years ago. Swapped all my freshwater spinners back to stock felt. 4-6lb line...carbontex is useless. 8-12 I can probably go either way, but prefer felt.

I also learned that Daiwa spinning drags are not to be tampered with. They work great with w/e stock grease they come in, but do not play well with Ace-0 which Hedgehog recommended. Now I just buy the pregreased Daiwa felt washers for replacement (haven't had to yet).

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:15 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Speaking to spinning reels only, I thought I was upgrading my CI4+ FA’s and Sustain FG’s with Carbontex. That stutter mentioned, extreme slip on hooksets unless tightened down too much for the line I’m using - so I would have to back off the drag knob immediately after the hookset (very noticeable on 1000 sized reels) = no dice for me.

I’m not a lock down the drag kind of guy, though. My bass-only buddies love the carbontex drags because they lock down their drags, use heavier line and rods for applications that I use lighter line and lighter rods. Don’t misconstrue, I don’t let my drag loose and let fish run uninhibited. I need just enough give for the line I’m using. That people that “tire the fish out” annoy the heck out of me.

I haven’t found carbontex to be smooth in a total of 13 of the above mentioned reels sized 1000 - 4000. Swapped them all out to swap them all back to stock. Tried greased, ungreased, flipped the bottom cross-hatch disc both ways, no way eh. Light line with a smooth drag, I’m using factory oiled/greased felt. They definitely need replaced regularly if you are on bigger fish that run, like salmon and steelhead. Walleyes and bass, I’m not replacing them every season, at least.
That's strange. My Emblem X 3000iA drag is buttery smooth with Carbontex/Cal's tan grease combo.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:23 pm

reason162 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:49 am
DrTrevorkian wrote:
That’s the “upgraded” carbon fiber drag. I’ve learned the hard way that any line you use 12lb and under, the drag is better with the regular felt washers.
Like many I fell for that "carbontex always better" scheme years ago. Swapped all my freshwater spinners back to stock felt. 4-6lb line...carbontex is useless. 8-12 I can probably go either way, but prefer felt.

I also learned that Daiwa spinning drags are not to be tampered with. They work great with w/e stock grease they come in, but do not play well with Ace-0 which Hedgehog recommended. Now I just buy the pregreased Daiwa felt washers for replacement (haven't had to yet).
Good to know! I’m currently on a Daiwa kick. I’ll plan on doing just that. Thanks!

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:24 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:15 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:

That's strange. My Emblem X 3000iA drag is buttery smooth with Carbontex/Cal's tan grease combo.
Maybe it’s just my model Shimano’s. I used the Cal’s tan, as well.