Is Daiwa becoming : The Off Topic Turn...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is Daiwa becoming : The Off Topic Turn...

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 am

I’m definitely one that enjoys fishing more than my gear, and I love to figure out and catch big fish. Joined TT for reviews and personal experiences using high end gear, since that’s what I Ike to use, and it’s been great for that overall. I don’t dress my reels up with colored parts and all that, but will change a handle or knobs if I need something better. What I won’t do is say anything negative about others choices to do what they want with their gear. If you don’t like it, don’t click on the threads. I would just rather buy more rods, reels, lures and accessories than parts, but some of those reels really do look cool. I focus on fishing while I’m on the water, and don’t look at my gear enough to justify spending that much money on colors, so I don’t. It’s clear others do, so keep it coming. I am shocked that there don’t seem to be many on here that actually enjoy targeting and catching fish though :-k That’s what makes memories!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:04 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:46 am
hungry_cow wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:39 am
... but the crazier it sounds the more support you get when it comes to Tackle Tour!
Dude, who let you in the asylum? Stop making so much sense :lol:
At one point in the forums we had a series discussion about using that smelt spool for the Pixy as an enthusiast tier ice fishing rig. True story.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:10 am

LOL.. i don't remember that one :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:32 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 am
I’m definitely one that enjoys fishing more than my gear, and I love to figure out and catch big fish. Joined TT for reviews and personal experiences using high end gear, since that’s what I Ike to use, and it’s been great for that overall. I don’t dress my reels up with colored parts and all that, but will change a handle or knobs if I need something better. What I won’t do is say anything negative about others choices to do what they want with their gear. If you don’t like it, don’t click on the threads. I would just rather buy more rods, reels, lures and accessories than parts, but some of those reels really do look cool. I focus on fishing while I’m on the water, and don’t look at my gear enough to justify spending that much money on colors, so I don’t. It’s clear others do, so keep it coming. I am shocked that there don’t seem to be many on here that actually enjoy targeting and catching fish though :-k That’s what makes memories!
As much as I get into my equipment I get much more into actually catching fish. I know I learn as much as possible whether its reading or washing Bass U seminars over and over to pick up everything I can. Im often practicing on the water trying to learn new things. I don't look at my gear while actually fishing it but am constantly trying to adapt and pick up anything that can help me solve the ever changing puzzle. With most of my on the water fishing buddies we just talk actual fishing, I don't even show them or talk about my rods and reels to because to be honest they would think I am totally nuts and give me funny looks, and id be a bit embarrassed if they had any clue what I pay for my equipment much less color matching parts and internal upgrades. I do work very hard to constantly improve as an angler both in my physical fishing skills as well as my knowledge. Things like gear ratio, rod power and action, matching it to things like line diameter affecting rate of fall or diving depth, even the power needed for hooksets at various distances from the boat for given setup with given line stretch and hook diameter are the equipment things im actually thinking about wile fishing. The over the top enthusiast part is more of a separate guilty pleasure that I realize has little bearing on actual fishing success. Having the right setup helps you actually forget about your equipment when actually fishing rather than notice it more because its absolutely perfect in both function and ergonomics to the way you fish. But it is a little bit nice when your catching nice bass on a special setup, and I do make sure I have my rod and reel in the pictures with the fish!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:16 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:32 am
But it is a little bit nice when your catching nice bass on a special setup, and I do make sure I have my rod and reel in the pictures with the fish!
;)
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:20 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 am
I am shocked that there don’t seem to be many on here that actually enjoy targeting and catching fish though :-k That’s what makes memories!
Oh we do.. it's just that you can find discussion and camaraderie on that front pretty much anywhere - especially online. But when you're targeting fish with that rod you built, or reel you tuned, or lure you tweaked or even made, that experience makes the catch even more special. Then like in any addiction, you grow conditioned to the drug and you need to escalate things to continue experiencing that high. 🤪
Cal, Managing Editor

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:39 pm

Cal wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:20 am
you grow conditioned to the drug and you need to escalate things to continue experiencing that high. 🤪
YES!!! To Cal you listen... :big grin:
PEACE

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:09 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:39 pm
Cal wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:20 am
you grow conditioned to the drug and you need to escalate things to continue experiencing that high. 🤪
YES!!! To Cal you listen... :big grin:
😂😂😂😂
Cal, Managing Editor

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:22 pm

Man, this thread is something! I’m in the minority here, as well, in that I like subtle looking reels. Rods too for that matter. I’m GL salmon and steelhead angler first, then walleyes, then pike/musky, then pannies, then bass. I enjoy it all. I’m very multispecies to a fault, but I really enjoy the consistent change of pace I’m afforded in MI. My enthusiast nature is very much performance over looks. I tend to be turned off by loud color and flashy gear... I think it attracts people. I try to stay on the DL, ha ha! That being said, if somebody enjoys that, hey, your fishing and not playing video games!

TT has been a wealth of info for me in tinkering my gear to suit my preferences. Knobs, handles, bearing upgrades, LOVE it. I have recently jumped back into Daiwa and am equally happy with both Shimano and Daiwa currently. Past 3 months have seen a 4000D Certate I ordered extra bearings, a high grip knob, a 4000cxh spool for. A Zillion TW HD I upgraded to high grip knobs, a Ryoga 1520 Magforce Z spool (came in today - we’ll see what happens!), 1000 Ballistic and Tatula spinners on Kage UL rods for specialized, budget walleye fishing - more bearings, uncoated cork knobs, put a 2500 handle on the Tatula (which is a dedicated jig/plastic combo). It’s pretty cool being able to make these reels way I like them and fit to my style of fishing. I do this with Shimano too...

Regardless, I think there are varying types of enthusiasts here. AA meeting monotone: My name’s Trev, and I’m a stealth performance monger. :mrgreen:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:37 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:22 pm
AA meeting monotone: My name’s Trev, and I’m a stealth performance monger. :mrgreen:
Welcome Trev, thank you for sharing yours story....

next? .. :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:45 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:22 pm
Man, this thread is something! I’m in the minority here, as well, in that I like subtle looking reels.
Actually, I'm a gray-scale guy myself. I tend to remove rather than add color to my reels, where it's tasteful to do so. I love black/gray/silver more than other color reels, but the variations that Daiwa used to have made me appreciate their efforts to satisfy all anglers. Now, it just seems everything is grayscale, with no options for a pop of color to be found anywhere. That gets boring to a large portion of our members here. On the upside, Hedgehog Studios and Ray's Studio should see a surge in business, with TT guys wanting that aforementioned splash of color! :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:39 pm

Hey-oh! Yeah, most definitely. That is very apparent. All good, beauty is those companies cater to us too in color.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:53 pm
For me, fishing is about being outdoors, enjoying the fresh air, and using some cool gear. Catching is actually secondary. It certainly enhances my day if we catch fish, but I don't have to catch fish to have fun. I enjoy appreciating how my gear performs casting and working my lures... I appreciate a good cast and watching my baits swim back to the boat.

I quit fishing for 23 years after moving to this area. Fishing sucks that bad here. When I got back into fishing I decided to try a baitcast reel. First one was when TW was closing out the TD Fuego in March 2009. If I had to catch fish to enjoy being on the water, I would have quit fishing...again...by June 2009. :(

The only reason I haven't quit is because of new and new-2-me gear. I enjoy casting. I enjoy trying new gear....whether it is a current production item or been out of production for years. I enjoy getting out of the house for awhile. I enjoy relieving some of the stress from work and every day life by getting out with my fishing gear.

Have gradually increased the quality of both my rods and reels. Don't catch any more fish with the higher quality gear, but it gives me more pleasure. And that is about all I have to look forward to.

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:20 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:56 pm
Cal wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Or do you guys not smile when taking fish photos too? ... THAT is one of my pet peeves 😉
So that's not just an Aussie fishing thing... Phew thought we owned that outright...
Nope, it's important to have a stubble beard and stare at the camera with a stink eye that says, in no uncertain terms that the they, can and just might, kick your butt as soon as they put down that fish. You see that guy in all the new fishing ads. The fisherman as the badazz.
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:28 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:14 pm
Most of those offerings from Daiwa are only available through exclusive channels... there used to be a Heartland group years ago with special rods and reels you could only get if you were in the club 🤷‍♂️
Those heartland rods are on my bucket list. Boy, are they spendy though.
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"