Daiwa JDM SV Light LTD vs Shimano Aldebaran GGL50 for finesse baitcaster

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa JDM SV Light LTD vs Shimano Aldebaran GGL50 for finesse baitcaster

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Considering a reel for a 2-power finesse baitcasting setup. Does anybody have both reels and can compare them? I have a pre-MGL Aldebaran and like it, but the Daiwa reel looks interesting and TW is discounting it at 40% off and I could get it for $300.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa JDM SV Light LTD vs Shimano Aldebaran GGL50 for finesse baitcaster

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:36 am

No experience, but TTT has the SV Light for even less and they are a site sponsor. If I fished right handed reels I would have jumped on that months ago.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:43 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:36 am
No experience, but TTT has the SV Light for even less and they are a site sponsor. If I fished right handed reels I would have jumped on that months ago.
Gary just posted yesterday that they're out of SV Light's.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:50 am

My mistake. Sorry for the mis-information.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:38 am

No worries, I didn't know about that deal and would totally have ordered from there :) Need to make a decision first, though. I got a spare Curado 70 I'll start out with, but my feeling is that I'll want something more BFS.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:21 pm

I have read that people love the Aldebaran BFS reels, but I'm a Daiwa fan and would stick with Daiwa for the spool options.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:08 pm

Never fished an Alde, but I live my SV Light. You can use any of the Air spools with it. It's perfect for 8-10# test. And, bonus, it comes with a CV-S reel cover. I use mine for bottom contact on a 6'8" ML bfs rod. It's great for skipping, pitching, and casting for accuracy or into a headwind, but it gets good distance, too, when you back the brakes off. The Alde might be better in that arena, I don't know. I think the SV is best for 3/16-3/8 or so.
This is the way.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:31 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:08 pm
Never fished an Alde, but I live my SV Light. You can use any of the Air spools with it. It's perfect for 8-10# test. And, bonus, it comes with a CV-S reel cover. I use mine for bottom contact on a 6'8" ML bfs rod. It's great for skipping, pitching, and casting for accuracy or into a headwind, but it gets good distance, too, when you back the brakes off. The Alde might be better in that arena, I don't know. I think the SV is best for 3/16-3/8 or so.
Thanks. How do you feel the SV Light would do for occasional jerkbaiting? Looking for a bottom contact reel, but it turns out the Phenix K2 rod this reel is for is for makes a credible Vision 110 Jr rod, as well.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:31 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:08 pm
Thanks. How do you feel the SV Light would do for occasional jerkbaiting? Looking for a bottom contact reel, but it turns out the Phenix K2 rod this reel is for is for makes a credible Vision 110 Jr rod, as well.

It’s all I use mine for
#jerkbaits
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:41 pm

Alright, I ordered one and will check it out in the backyard. It'll compete against my existing ABU Revo AL-F (which I kinda love for this rod but only have in 8:1, and I don't know if I want that fast a reel on a finesse rod).

Steffen_82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steffen_82 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:11 pm

the SV light is not a bfs reel. it performs best on a ml to medium rod. I have both the 8.1 and the 6.3 and they are paired with an OG MB cyclone evo and a Raid Japan transporter. If you need to decide between these 2 for your bfs set up go with the aldebaran

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:24 am

Steffen_82 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:11 pm
the SV light is not a bfs reel. it performs best on a ml to medium rod. I have both the 8.1 and the 6.3 and they are paired with an OG MB cyclone evo and a Raid Japan transporter. If you need to decide between these 2 for your bfs set up go with the aldebaran
True about the SV light not being a bfs reel but man it cast lures against the wind like a dream. To be honest I had to ask myself what makes a BFS reel?
Does adding a super shallow spool to a IS79 make the reel BFS or just BFSish?
Or does a specified reel make it bfs? Or is it the light weight lures that the reel cast? Is there a clear way to measure/ determine if a reel is a BFS reel ?
What is the standard? All that rambling aside I use a alde with a KTF spool and I use it for dropshotting. If I were casting both reels in the wind it would be the SV-L all day. The alde is good but the SV-L is like a precision tool.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Steffen_82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steffen_82 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:35 am

That is very true casting into the wind it would be the SV light for me as well. But sub 3/16 oz i feel like i have other and better options than the SV light. For me it is for sure my alphas type r with bfs spool or one of my og steez with the honeycomb.
To be honest tho i throw braid to leader and i sm not sure if using straight fluoro makes a difference