Expense and Certate LT

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Expense and Certate LT

Post by barrys » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:41 pm

Narrowed down to these 2 reels however I am an ergonomic junkie so here’s my question as it will make my choice easier. I own both Daiwa and Shimano spinners however the wife usually ends up with the Shimano for this reason. The distance between the reel foot and where it makes its first curve back towards the reel body. That distance on some Shimanos(i.e. Stradics)is too short for my hands as I lock my pinky finger behind the foot it just cramps my hand. However not all shimanos are the same in that regard and I have never had problems out of Daiwas. I don’t have either reel at any tackle shop nearby to feel for myself so hoping someone can answer my long winded question. If the Excense still has that short distance I will rule it out. Hope someone can understand and help out. Thanks all
T

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Expense and Certate LT

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Something to be aware of in the Daiwa LT series is the "C" versions, ie. Compact bodies. I haven't found the exact specifications of the C and non-C versions, but my assumtion is one is more compact that the other.

I have a Certate 4000D-C.... deep spool, compact body. Reminds me of a pitbull, big head, small body. Great reel tho.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:23 pm

I don’t know about the stem lengths, but I have owned both reels and prefer the Certate. The Exsense does have the cool blacked out look going for it though.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks for the replies and yes I guess the term I’m looking for is the stem length before it curves back.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:28 pm

I would have a hard time buying anything price wise above the Certate LT they are built solid with liquid smooth gears and a stout drag, yet they rotate like a feather. Daiwa nailed it on the LT's you feel the precision from the first turn of the handle and they remain that way even under a load!

Kurt

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:08 pm

I would go with the Certate, I think the Exsence has a shorter stem overall.

The Certate is a sweet reel, not as smooth as my Stella's but its still super smooth, the Certate take a bit of
force to start it up due to all the damn seals....

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 pm

Haven't used the Exsence, but if the body is the same as the Stradic, then I prefer the Certate LT as well (not counting performance). The Certate is super smooth as well and it feels like it always has power in reserve. Hard to explain, but I feel like I could winch a jeep out of the mud with it and it'd just keep reeling smooth as ever. It's like a finesse tank.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:03 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:08 pm
I would go with the Certate, I think the Exsence has a shorter stem overall.

The Certate is a sweet reel, not as smooth as my Stella's but its still super smooth, the Certate take a bit of
force to start it up due to all the damn seals....
That's interesting about your Certate, I have two JDM and one USDM and there is no startup resistance at all... the weight of the handle turns them. My 3000 & 4000 are liquid smooth you cannot feel they even have gears, with my 2500 you can barely notice them when spinning freely in hand but when in use it is also liquid smooth. I have caught lots of Salmon on the 2500 & 3000 and a few on the 4000 so far and they still smooth as out the box day one. Cross my fingers that continues :strface:

Kurt

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:48 am

Kurt, are you running all 6.2:1 high gear Certates?

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:48 am

To answer your question. The bail on a Excense will hit my knuckles. Stem is short IMHO. Do not have this problem with a Daiwa.