Why doesn't Daiwa & Shimano Cerakote their reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Why doesn't Daiwa & Shimano Cerakote their reels?

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 pm

Got a friend who just "Cerakoted" his first reel in a chameleon color. Not only does it looks amazing, but the paint holds extremely well, and noticeably better than your standard Daiwa paint. Wouldn't that be a huge plus for us all not having to worry that much about scratches and chipping? I may be mistaken, but i don't believe automotive paint cost any more than Cerakote, so what gives?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why doesn't Daiwa & Shimano Cerakote their reels?

Post by tywithay » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:39 pm

Cost. Frames would have to be completely disassembled and sandblasted for the coating to adhere. Plus, Elite and H both require oven cures. Coating C can be air cured. Could possibly assemble carefully after 24 hours, but it actually takes 5 days to fully cure. Just not feasible for mass production.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:00 am

tywithay wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:39 pm
Cost. Frames would have to be completely disassembled and sandblasted for the coating to adhere. Plus, Elite and H both require oven cures. Coating C can be air cured. Could possibly assemble carefully after 24 hours, but it actually takes 5 days to fully cure. Just not feasible for mass production.
Interesting, i always thought there was some kind of an oven cure for the paint we have on our reels. But as you have mentioned, they could use the C coating that is air cured. But then again, i'm not exactly sure what the prep work goes into your standard shimano/daiwa paint, so the sandblasting may be too much works.

Or maybe do it for limited edition reels :crying:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:09 am

Whatever the Curado D was painted with - it's pretty damn resistant to paint stripper.

And planned obsolescence...

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm

I'd say cost and itar, they have trouble doing the coating overseas. Cerakote can be cured in a hour with an oven, duracoat requires longer to cure. Plastic takes longer to cure with cerakote but it's still a couple of hours.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:36 pm

As a Certified Cerakote Applicator who does this full time I’m going to say it’s cost. Cerakote process requires a certain process to be done correctly. Also please note when doing chameleon it’s a 3 stage process. Cerakote base layer, chameleon layer, cerakote gloss clear layer. That being said, if done right cerakote is an amazing finish and ultra thin (.001”).

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:03 pm

Check out the Cerakote process

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:35 am

With how generic paint jobs are on the current shimano/daiwa, there won't be needed 3 different coats to match the generic gray, silver or black. They could always use the air cured cerakote if baking takes too much time or is too expensive on their end. The chameleon cerakote that was done for a bud of mine was noticeably less expensive than a few sites i've asked to paint a reel in an automotive paint back in 2018. I'll most likely cerakote a tdz or an alphas this season. Really curious on how the paint holds compared to the daiwas/shimanos.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:33 am

SSS wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:35 am
With how generic paint jobs are on the current shimano/daiwa, there won't be needed 3 different coats to match the generic gray, silver or black. They could always use the air cured cerakote if baking takes too much time or is too expensive on their end. The chameleon cerakote that was done for a bud of mine was noticeably less expensive than a few sites i've asked to paint a reel in an automotive paint back in 2018. I'll most likely cerakote a tdz or an alphas this season. Really curious on how the paint holds compared to the daiwas/shimanos.
Air cured cerakote is not as durable as the oven cured Cerakote. Also Air Cured Cerakote (C-Series) takes 5 days to fully cure. Oven Cured Cerakote 1 hour for materials that can handle 300f, 2 hours @ 250, 2-3 hours @ 150f for polymers and other delicate materials.

For older Magnesium Frames like the TDZ I can guarantee it will have pitting under the factory coating. Cerakote is ultra thin and will not fill in/ hide the the pitting. Their are ways to fill in pitting prior to cerakote but for some reels still best to go automotive paint with high build sandable primer/base/clear.

Also Cerakote oven cure (H-series) is not UV stable. Its fine under most uses out doors but it cannot be left in the sun for long periods of time. Air Cure Cerakote is UV stable.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 am

Example of a excellent condition older magnesium reel with no signs of pitting with factory coating on. Once coating sandblasted off it reveals a ton of pitting in the metal. I used some filler to fill in the pit areas where visible. Took a ton of time to do and would of been much easier with auto primer/paint.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 am

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:51 am

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 am
Example of a excellent condition older magnesium reel with no signs of pitting with factory coating on. Once coating sandblasted off it reveals a ton of pitting in the metal. I used some filler to fill in the pit areas where visible. Took a ton of time to do and would of been much easier with auto primer/paint.

Did you see anywhere near as much pitting on aluminium frames, say an alphas type f or the 103?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:57 am

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:33 am
SSS wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:35 am
Air cured cerakote is not as durable as the oven cured Cerakote. Also Air Cured Cerakote (C-Series) takes 5 days to fully cure. Oven Cured Cerakote 1 hour for materials that can handle 300f, 2 hours @ 250, 2-3 hours @ 150f for polymers and other delicate materials.

For older Magnesium Frames like the TDZ I can guarantee it will have pitting under the factory coating. Cerakote is ultra thin and will not fill in/ hide the the pitting. Their are ways to fill in pitting prior to cerakote but for some reels still best to go automotive paint with high build sandable primer/base/clear.

Also Cerakote oven cure (H-series) is not UV stable. Its fine under most uses out doors but it cannot be left in the sun for long periods of time. Air Cure Cerakote is UV stable.
Yea, i'm aware the C series is the weakest when it comes to scratches and most likely chipping, but would you say its better or worse than automotive paint diawa/shimano uses? The chameleon paint done to a bud of mine was with the H series, which from my understanding is almost as good as the E series, but has much more color choices.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:56 pm

I’ve had AR’s cerakote professionally and never thought about my reels! That’s a great option IMO, and I would think a good bit more durable than most reel paint. What kind of money is cerakoting reels going for these days? Like basic 1-2 colors?

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:00 pm

Half a notion that if the new Stradic FL is a departure from current Shimano ways of decreasing durability (fingers crossed!), kinda want to cerakote a couple white, an ode to making Stradic’s great again!