Why doesn't Daiwa & Shimano Cerakote their reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why doesn't Daiwa & Shimano Cerakote their reels?

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:38 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:56 pm
What kind of money is cerakoting reels going for these days? Like basic 1-2 colors?
I was quoted $400 here in Australia for a straight satin black on my Calais DC.

Interested to hear what it goes for in the US.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 pm

Whoa! I just had two AR’s done for that...

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Well my beat up og zillion is getting alumahyde at 12 bucks a can then.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:31 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 pm
I charge 150 for disassembled upper/lower/handguard in single color. I don’t offer cerakote for reels as one of my services because so much variables in each reel that can’t have a set price. I’ve tested on a few but the amount of time to prep takes a lot of time and ends up being more than the reel is new.

This reel is Satin alum Cerakote Frame, automotive inter coat chameleon layer w/ cerakote gloss clear on the gear cover and matte cerakote clear on the sideplate.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:57 pm

No comments on the murdered out Type R+ :shock:.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:44 am

Contacted a few folks here in Canada that cerakote firearms professionally. The cheapest (in canadian dollars) for one color that i was able to find is $75. You have to ship it fully disassembled since they aren't exactly knowledgeable when it comes to fishing reels, but they've done a few for saltwater, and it looked pretty good in their pictures. Another place did a 2 color with chemeleon pigments for $130. Thinking of sending them an Alphas103, but dunno which color to cerakote it in ](*,)

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:32 am

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:31 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 pm
I charge 150 for disassembled upper/lower/handguard in single color. I don’t offer cerakote for reels as one of my services because so much variables in each reel that can’t have a set price. I’ve tested on a few but the amount of time to prep takes a lot of time and ends up being more than the reel is new.

This reel is Satin alum Cerakote Frame, automotive inter coat chameleon layer w/ cerakote gloss clear on the gear cover and matte cerakote clear on the sideplate.

Your work is spectacular! I wondered if that was the case. Reels are quite a bit more intricate than AR’s. If one was savvy enough to disassemble their reel into the just the components to be cerakoted, and they are aluminum or carbon fiber/graphite/plastic, I’d imagine they’d be more reasonable for us consumers?

And the local shop to me charged me $150 per set, upper, lower, handguard, and $35 per unimount. I’d certainly consider sending stripped reels in the future (I’d send guns too, but shipping lowers ain’t cheap), if that’s an option. Currently my stuff is in nice shape, but as we all know life happens, and I also have almost 3 & 2yr old fishing buddies that will undoubtedly rash up my nice shi....stuff 🤑