I don't use spinning gear at all. Do you?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Are you still using Spinning Gear?

Yes
79%
No
20%
Thinking of getting rid of them
2%

Total votes: 122

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: I don't use spinning gear at all. Do you?

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:18 am

Kurt L wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:09 pm
Being in Alaska we sometimes have very target rich environments and I have gone both ways, but have come back around to mostly spinning gear. For King (large) salmon I use both interchangeably but for the remainder of the Salmon species I use light tackle (6-10lb test) with that said I have found that baitcasting reels do not hold up well, I find myself doing teardowns on my baitcasters every 8-10 hours of use Max to keep from ruining the gears, and if it's raining hard I find most baitcasters are not protected well from the elements and if soaked from a heavy rain it only takes a handful of fast or long runs from fish and you can feel what were smooth gears quickly going away. I find that Spinning reels are smoother, more durable and versatile. I have bought so many sets of primarily Shimano gears (Metanium 13, MGL, Curado 301, 201 and Tatula gears) no matter what grease I have tried that I'm rarely use them anymore and have started selling them off. Conversely I have Stradic CI4+ FA's, Stradic FJ's, Certate LT's and even Fuego's LT's that have years on them are still butter smooth with only normal maintenance.

Kurt
Interesting. Quite the opposite of what I have been taught. I do not have rivers nearby that put hurt on reels. I mainly fish small streams and (sadly) cannot imagine any fish or condition that can affect the smoothness of my reels :lol: . Saltwater has not been good to my low profile baitcasters even though I take good care of my reels. In contrast, my spinning reels handle salt better (no reel loves being submerged/dunked). Salmon fishermen in Norway and Sweden, where they have rivers and fish that match Alaska, use a lot of Ambassadeur reels. Have you used Ambassadeurs or other round reels (Conquests etc) ?