New Daiwa reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Daiwa reel?

Post by tywithay » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:01 pm

Senkobass1 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:13 pm
tywithay wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:52 pm
Senkobass1 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:35 pm
I’m mixed when it comes to mixing companies. My older Daiwa reels surpass my Shimano’s by quite a margin in refinement and customization abilities. But the new Metanium is worth the money. Haven’t tried the new Steez CT or the Steez SV TW yet so I can’t compare. But Shimano seems like they are making major moves while Daiwa is sticking to the Tatula.
Sold my Steez SV TW when I got my Metanium

Was the Metanium that much better? I love the new Metanium, and am fishing mainly the ZPI Z Pride and the 20 Metanium. Love them both. Wondering if I should add a Steez to my collection or another Metanium.
It's not world's apart and obviously the Steez is a great reel, but the 2020 Metanium is on another level. I don't know if it's the new frame design or what, but it feels smoother and more solid to me.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:57 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:48 pm
The Steez and Steez CT reels are pretty great. The Steez platform is used in aluminum with the 19 Morethan PE.

Come to think of it, they have the Steez, little Steez, both Alphas, Lexa and then everything elese is a Tatula that is low profile and actually a Daiwa.
You left out a couple Zillion variants which in my opinion are a big jump over anything in the Tatula lineup!

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:05 am

not really interested in any of the new products, but that's ok cuz i've got plenty of junk now 😁

i fast fwd thru the daiwa australia stream on youtube last night. looks like they're getting screwed like usdm, although they only showed reels.

i haven't figured out why daiwa would release a reel like the steez ct and not have a couple of usdm bfs options. it's not like they actually have to develop anything...they already have them in other markets. from the stats of the takahiro sig spinning rod, it looks like it would work well if made into a caster.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:37 am

E73Bass wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:57 am
LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:48 pm
The Steez and Steez CT reels are pretty great. The Steez platform is used in aluminum with the 19 Morethan PE.

Come to think of it, they have the Steez, little Steez, both Alphas, Lexa and then everything elese is a Tatula that is low profile and actually a Daiwa.
You left out a couple Zillion variants which in my opinion are a big jump over anything in the Tatula lineup!
They are still derived from the Tatula platform. They share side plates and have a very similar frame. My point was that Daiwa's development of new platforms has been limited. They have few unique platforms and then everything else either is a Tatulas or is derived from one.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:44 am

Wellllllllll maybe I gotta go shopping in Japan when we're gettin' a little more yen for our dollars. The new Procyon looks kinda nice but why buy that when you can buy a Luvias with a double handle?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:51 am

I'm hearing rumors that the Twing on the Tatula 300 is more wide at the base of the T to accommodate leader connection knots. Assuming this swaps into other TWS reels there is one good thing from this release.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:15 am
It is the old Tatula CT. They have removed Magforce Z from the reel by the description. Way worse than a Tatula 100. You get neither the 100 frame or Magforce Z.

Daiwa: we took the Tatula CT from 2016 and made it worse. New for 2020!
The 2020 Tatula CT TW does in fact have Magforce Z. It is based on the old frame design, you are accurate with that statement. Your dislike for the Tatula family is well noted. Have you actually fished with the new reel to know definitively that the new reel is worse than the old one or are you just speculating?

Don't get me wrong, I would have love to see some more cutting edge stuff, a new Z1016, something along those lines. I also understand the weariness of the Tatula branding some seem to dwell on quite regularly :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:50 am

The new 2020 CT is actually larger and heavier than the regular tatula 100 now so why is it named the CT?? Is it going to be a cheaper version? If so shouldn't it be named the XT like the cheaper rod versions???

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:50 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 am
LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:15 am
It is the old Tatula CT. They have removed Magforce Z from the reel by the description. Way worse than a Tatula 100. You get neither the 100 frame or Magforce Z.

Daiwa: we took the Tatula CT from 2016 and made it worse. New for 2020!
The 2020 Tatula CT TW does in fact have Magforce Z. It is based on the old frame design, you are accurate with that statement. Your dislike for the Tatula family is well noted. Have you actually fished with the new reel to know definitively that the new reel is worse than the old one or are you just speculating?

Don't get me wrong, I would have love to see some more cutting edge stuff, a new Z1016, something along those lines. I also understand the weariness of the Tatula branding some seem to dwell on quite regularly :lol:
It has Magforce listed as the braking system. If this is accurate then it is indeed worse. Most of the Tatula demographic also hate the new thin knobs and is a downgrade in their eyes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:55 am

They either re-released the 2016 Tatula CT as a 2020 Tatula CT with new thin knobs and screwed up their own description of the reel by listing it a Magforce OR they re-released the 2016 Tatula CT as a 2020 Tatula CT with a downgraded braking system.

Either way there is no positive way to spin this.
Last edited by LowRange on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:58 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:50 am
It has Magforce listed as the braking system. If this is accurate then it is indeed worse. Most of the Tatula demographic also hate the new thin knobs and is a downgrade in their eyes.
I talk with a lot of folks about tackle on a regular basis. It hasn't been my experience that "most" of the Tatula demographic "hate" the new thin knobs. Most guys don't even pay attention to the knobs, some do, some prefer the larger knobs, but it isn't highly polarizing amongst hundreds of people I know using and buying Tatula of various iterations.

I spoke with the chief reel engineer at Daiwa about the braking system and he confirmed that Magforce Z is the braking system in the 2020 Tatula CT TW.
ss30378 wrote:
The new 2020 CT is actually larger and heavier than the regular tatula 100 now so why is it named the CT?? Is it going to be a cheaper version? If so shouldn't it be named the XT like the cheaper rod versions???
It is less expensive than the Tatula 100, yes. I don't know why the name was chosen, but I do know a lot of folks really like that frame design and liked the performance of the previous closest version of this reel. It's $129.99 retail reel, so it isn't supposed to light the enthusiast world on fire. It's really good for making folks who want to find something to b*tch about do so though :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:58 am
LowRange wrote:
I talk with a lot of folks about tackle on a regular basis. It hasn't been my experience that "most" of the Tatula demographic "hate" the new thin knobs. Most guys don't even pay attention to the knobs, some do, some prefer the larger knobs, but it isn't highly polarizing amongst hundreds of people I know using and buying Tatula of various iterations.

I spoke with the chief reel engineer at Daiwa about the braking system and he confirmed that Magforce Z is the braking system in the 2020 Tatula CT TW.
ss30378 wrote:
It is less expensive than the Tatula 100, yes. I don't know why the name was chosen, but I do know a lot of folks really like that frame design and liked the performance of the previous closest version of this reel. It's $129.99 retail reel, so it isn't supposed to light the enthusiast world on fire. It's really good for making folks who want to find something to b*tch about do so though :lol:
Next time you speak with Daiwa you might want to let them know they royally screwed up. This is like launching a new performance car and telling everyone it has a weak POS engine in it by accident. Major screwup if true
Attachments
Annotation 2020-07-02 130148.png
Annotation 2020-07-02 130148.png (40.91 KiB) Viewed 5860 times

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:03 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 am
Next time you speak with Daiwa you might want to let them know they royally screwed up. This is like launching a new performance car and telling everyone it has a weak POS engine in it by accident. Major screwup if true
I can't read what you posted there but it wouldn't be the first time a company has made a major screw up by accident when launching a new product. I've seen it many times and probably will again! :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:03 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 am
I can't read what you posted there but it wouldn't be the first time a company has made a major screw up by accident when launching a new product. I've seen it many times and probably will again! :lol:
It reads "Magforce magnetic braking system".

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:07 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 am
It reads "Magforce magnetic braking system".
I read it, thanks. I've let them know... appreciate you pointing that out =D>

Already changed, how's that for service? :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap