What is wrong with Quantum

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is wrong with Quantum

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:15 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:51 am
I wish Daiwa or Shimano would incorporate a flipping switch similar to Quantum on a mid to high-end reel. For me it’s very niche and not bass related, but a man can dream, right? 🀣
They used to and it died out - along with that dream :lol:

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 pm

goldrod wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am
Markymarc wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 am
Just not build to last.
They were built by Ford?
Chrysler! :lol:
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:18 pm

Smalleyez wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 pm
Just not build to last.
They were built by Ford?
No argument there. I don’t recall the last good thing to come from them
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 pm

Nothing, But also everything, Does that make sense?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 pm

I'll add that my Quantum Smoke rods gen 1 7' M/F are my favorite rods I own. I would sell my Legend elites LTB NRX Kistlers Cumara all my other rods before Id let my Smokes go. So I dont hate on Quantum I just give my honest feedback on the products I use.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:31 am

I don't know why, but the gears on quantum reels wear out faster than Abu, Shimano, and Daiwa.

The other annoyances can usually be taken care of with some cleaning, but most anglers aren't gonna be willing to do that as often as the reels require vs other brands.

Most of their designs look solid inside and out, but like I said, gears don't hold up.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:23 am

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:18 pm
Just not build to last.
They were built by Ford?
No argument there. I don’t recall the last good thing to come from them
440ci engine.
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:43 pm

ska4fun wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:19 pm
taylor5877 wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:31 am
I don't know why, but the gears on quantum reels wear out faster than Abu, Shimano, and Daiwa.

The other annoyances can usually be taken care of with some cleaning, but most anglers aren't gonna be willing to do that as often as the reels require vs other brands.

Most of their designs look solid inside and out, but like I said, gears don't hold up.
There is any specific model/series having something close to the infamous metanium buzzing?
I can tell you this...my KVD S3 has no gear issues, and I've pulled a few pigs out of the pads night fishing with it. My older Shimanos, no problems. Every newer than E series Shimano, gear problems. It's like they are some cheap Chinese made junk. Any Doyo products, including my 8 gear ratio BPS JM Sig Series I have with aluminum gears mind you, has had no issues with gear noise pulling fish out of heavy cover down here. I'm more apt to buy an OEM product than Shimano, or Daiwa for that matter with the Tat craze crap now.
<")))><{

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:53 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:45 pm
I gave them a shot but wont buy again. I just bought a new Tour S3 during 50% off sale glad I didnt pay more.
I have an issue with it already it buzzes quite loudly on casts. The harder the cast the louder/longer the buzzing. It gets quite annoying after just a few casts. If setting the brake down to 6-5-4 its buzz crazy. With higher brake setting the buzz goes away but then so does distance. Tried oiling the drum the brake pins ride on but that didnt work. I checked a few videos and I hear the same noise so dont know if its worth the hassle to return it cause it may be inherent with the brake system.

In general I havent had much luck with newer non shimano purchases Tour S3 buzzes, Tat SV screeches, SV105 spool inductor/brake dial issue, BB1 Pro knobs/levelwind/noise on cast too along with Okuma Helios.
The only "newerish" reels not giving me issues are the 2 curado 70's I have and would trade the Tour S3 for another 70 easily, the 70 is a better reel.
My Tour S3 was a bit zippy first time out, similar to but not as bad as my Chronarch CI4+ was. As I did with the CI4+, I oiled the brake race then applied oil to a Q-Tip then dabbed the faces of the brake blocks. I waited an hour then began casting it hard. That was months ago and it's quiet on the cast now. It's not SVS quiet, it has a sound, but not noisy or buzzy at all.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:32 pm

rto wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:53 pm
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:45 pm
I gave them a shot but wont buy again. I just bought a new Tour S3 during 50% off sale glad I didnt pay more.
I have an issue with it already it buzzes quite loudly on casts. The harder the cast the louder/longer the buzzing. It gets quite annoying after just a few casts. If setting the brake down to 6-5-4 its buzz crazy. With higher brake setting the buzz goes away but then so does distance. Tried oiling the drum the brake pins ride on but that didnt work. I checked a few videos and I hear the same noise so dont know if its worth the hassle to return it cause it may be inherent with the brake system.

In general I havent had much luck with newer non shimano purchases Tour S3 buzzes, Tat SV screeches, SV105 spool inductor/brake dial issue, BB1 Pro knobs/levelwind/noise on cast too along with Okuma Helios.
The only "newerish" reels not giving me issues are the 2 curado 70's I have and would trade the Tour S3 for another 70 easily, the 70 is a better reel.
My Tour S3 was a bit zippy first time out, similar to but not as bad as my Chronarch CI4+ was. As I did with the CI4+, I oiled the brake race then applied oil to a Q-Tip then dabbed the faces of the brake blocks. I waited an hour then began casting it hard. That was months ago and it's quiet on the cast now. It's not SVS quiet, it has a sound, but not noisy or buzzy at all.
I did that already but will try a thicker oil, first time used REM oil [-o<

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:09 pm

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:43 pm

I had two quantum bait casters; Speed Freak and Tour MG. Both reels performed pretty well out of the box. I did need to clean/oil/lube more frequently than my other reels to keep them smooth. I wouldn't say they were bad, I just felt the overall quality wasn't as good as some of the other brands, especially if you pay full MSRP. I like to try different brands and experiment so I was glad I gave them a shot, but I wanted to consolidate to fewer brands to make maintenance easier so I sold mine.

I should mention I bought both reels new, but paid less than half of MSRP. So if you want to try Quantum I would highly recommend shopping sales or online auctions you should be able to get big discounts. That way if you don't like them you won't take a bath on resale.

At the end of the day I think Shimano and Daiwa are better reels for the money, at least based on my experience and preferences.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm

A couple years ago I picked up 2 Quantum Monsters for $65 each, to throw big swimbaits. They are a 300 sized reel that is heavy and helps balance an 8 ft XH swimbait rod. So far so good. One has 25lb Tatsu and the other has 80lb Maxquattro and are doing what I need them to do.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:47 pm

Just not build to last.
They were built by Ford?
I have to agree, a lot of flash, that performs well at the beginning, but it just doesn't last. The last Quantum baitcaster I had, had like 13 bearings, but all 13 were low quality.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.