Deep Zonda spool in Alphas R Edition

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Deep Zonda spool in Alphas R Edition

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm

Looking for some feedback on the deep Zonda spool in an Alphas R Edition. How does it behave? Is it like a Type R+ in an OG Steez or a little less loosey goosey...? What do you use yours for?
Thanks!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Deep Zonda spool in Alphas R Edition

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:09 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm
Looking for some feedback on the deep Zonda spool in an Alphas R Edition. How does it behave? Is it like a Type R+ in an OG Steez or a little less loosey goosey...? What do you use yours for?
Thanks!
It has both great control and distance in any Alphas platform.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:29 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm
Thanks!
Very different from my R+. My R+ feels like a SVS centrifugal Shimano spool almost. Fast and very free at the end of the cast. The Zonda behaves a little different. To back the dial off enough to make it as free as the R+ towards the end of the cast to will want to fluff up mid cast. This can be compensated with a smoother casting stroke. Don't bomb it and force more distance out it. Once you get it dialed it is an effortless and smooth caster.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:54 am

Thanks guys!

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:43 am

I really like the R+ spool, it excels with 1/4 oz pop r's and 12# line. I found the Zonda spools works better with heavier test line and heavier baits. I like both spools better than the SV spools.