Question for Catalina TW owners

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Question for Catalina TW owners

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:15 pm

How does the non handle side plate latch/secure to the frame? This applies to Zillion TWS HD, Zillion TWS HLC, Zillion 10 and a few others with the same side plate. I'm looking to maybe pick up a side plate from a last gen HRF for my old Tatula Type R. While the side plates will surely fit I don't know if there is a change in the frame to accommodate the latching mechanism.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Question for Catalina TW owners

Post by Tony9 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:41 pm

It won't fit. There is a cutout on the frame for the release switch. Here is a picture comparing the Catalina TW and Zillion 1516

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Thanks. =D>

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:50 pm

Tony9 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:41 pm
It won't fit. There is a cutout on the frame for the release switch. Here is a picture comparing the Catalina TW and Zillion 1516

How does the Catalina TW compare to the Zillion TWS in terms of braking profile and smoothness? I'm in the market for one of these reels.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:19 pm

I prefer my Catalina s to my zillion tws, now granted my tws is 9.1 and my Catalina s are 7.3, if I remember right the Catalina has aluminum side plates whereas the tws is zaion. The Catalina I use in the salt has been a little finicky with fluorocarbon but that appears to have been a one time deal. The only reel I currently like better than my Catalinas is the tw1516, though my coastal sv with the new inductor and spring is mighty close.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:34 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:50 pm
How does the Catalina TW compare to the Zillion TWS in terms of braking profile and smoothness? I'm in the market for one of these reels.
The inductor spring on the Catalina TW is stiffer and has a faster profile. I believe it was developed for braid. The Zillion 1516 is more of an all around spool.

Both reels are equally smooth, with a slight edge to the Catalina TW. Possibly due to the aluminum handle side plate.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:43 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:19 pm
I prefer my Catalina s to my zillion tws, now granted my tws is 9.1 and my Catalina s are 7.3, if I remember right the Catalina has aluminum side plates whereas the tws is zaion. The Catalina I use in the salt has been a little finicky with fluorocarbon but that appears to have been a one time deal. The only reel I currently like better than my Catalinas is the tw1516, though my coastal sv with the new inductor and spring is mighty close.
Tony9 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:34 pm
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:50 pm
The inductor spring on the Catalina TW is stiffer and has a faster profile. I believe it was developed for braid. The Zillion 1516 is more of an all around spool.

Both reels are equally smooth, with a slight edge to the Catalina TW. Possibly due to the aluminum handle side plate.
Thanks I'm also in the market or one of these reels. I'm leaning towards a Zillion HD for larger diameter mono and big baits and either a Catalina spool or Aliexpress Long Cast spool (there are two) for braid and frogs. Pairing to a Hyuga 72H. Also might flutter spoon with it too. Currently collecting RCS purple parts to pair to the Hyuga. It's a sickness.