Rays studio inductor plus a type r inductor spring on sv spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rays studio inductor plus a type r inductor spring on sv spool

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 pm

fffishing wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:48 pm
SSS wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 pm
fffishing wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:44 pm
Rays make the worst inductor in the world
They're completely miss understand what is that,and what is that for!
I didn't use just their inductor, but i had their spool which uses the inductor, and it was an extremely long casting spool.
Long cast is not just one thing,how about comfortable,no issues fishing in different conditions?
Again,don't want to argue,just asking to try another staff ;)
I imagine I probably fish in more wind than most when I fish the inshore flats around steinhatchee. It's comfortable as long as you adjust spool tension, if you use the zero adjuster with no adjustment then it will be a bit wild. The coastal spool is a bit overbraked, the sv103 is a bit better but still improved it.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:39 pm

fffishing wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:41 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:54 pm
fffishing wrote:
Both my coastal sv and sv103 were improved by switching inductors so I'll have to disagree
Maybe you need to try another ones to compare :)
Well lets see how many 34mm spools i've tested, or at least the ones that come to my mind. SLP WORKS 1010, the 1010 spool from the fx68, rcs1016 in black from the t3 and the silver from the ryoga1016, rc-001 and rc-002 from zpi, r+ spools from steez103, tdz type r+, td ito r+ in shallow and deep versions, standard spool from t3 ballistic, millionaire ringa hlc red kanji spool, the original rcs sv spools, the rcs1016 spool from the newer ryoga, the Ray's spool, and i'm most likely forgetting many. Do i need to test every spool made for the platform to know the Ray's spools perform way above average? They aren't only great, they're excellent without even taking their cheap price into consideration.

edit: thought you quoted me :crying: . But anyways, i did test the spool against many others, and it has never disappointed.
Last edited by SSS on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:42 pm

fffishing wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:48 pm
SSS wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 pm
fffishing wrote:
I didn't use just their inductor, but i had their spool which uses the inductor, and it was an extremely long casting spool.
Long cast is not just one thing,how about comfortable,no issues fishing in different conditions?
Again,don't want to argue,just asking to try another staff ;)
Of course that's taken into consideration. I've used it a bunch with 25-30km/h head wind while fishing for walleye. No issues whatsoever. The only thing i can say is that the first one i got, was rubbing on the frame of the reel, so it wasn't usable, but that has nothing to do with its castability/control.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:51 pm

My only gripe about the Ray's is that that excellent distance tuned inductor is better suited to the kind of baits that I want a little more capacity with. Their spools are so shallow that they don't hold enough 20# braid for Ned rigs or 1/4 oz cranks. At the same time they are not that good for UL baits because that fast inductor and stiff spring don't want to activate with little UL baits. They have the capacity of a fixed inductor UL spool but the braking profile of a distance tuned finesse spool. The Tatula of all things gets an Air Brake tapered inductor deep spool. The 1016/103 spools get a deeper spool but fixed inductor.

Just make a deep Ray's like the ones for the Tatula Long Cast but for Pixy, Alphas and Steez.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:35 pm

Yea, i never use more than #10 braid on mine

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:14 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:51 pm
My only gripe about the Ray's is that that excellent distance tuned inductor is better suited to the kind of baits that I want a little more capacity with. Their spools are so shallow that they don't hold enough 20# braid for Ned rigs or 1/4 oz cranks. At the same time they are not that good for UL baits because that fast inductor and stiff spring don't want to activate with little UL baits. They have the capacity of a fixed inductor UL spool but the braking profile of a distance tuned finesse spool. The Tatula of all things gets an Air Brake tapered inductor deep spool. The 1016/103 spools get a deeper spool but fixed inductor.

Just make a deep Ray's like the ones for the Tatula Long Cast but for Pixy, Alphas and Steez.
Exactly my issue as well. They used to make a deeper spool similar to the Megabass Honeycomb spools with the tapered inductor, and you could get the ported or unported too. I always have my eyes peeled for those, especially the 36mm spool for my US Trail's.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:53 am

Have to test Ray's inductor and ramp (and spring) to my ct Alphas std. spool. (And maybe to 1016 Zillion sv spool.)

Alphas ct reel / spool / inductor arrived as broken to me, but I decided not to send it back to Japan. Inductor of it was sticky and in lightest use it was unsure will it move at all and if it moved, it was unsure will it come back. So, 1/10 casts succeeded, 6/10 casting distance was 10 feet and 3/10 was birdnest. I tried to clean inductor but it didn't succeed. I wasn't big fan of sv brakes, and this didn't help. I replaced sv spring to Mag-Z spring. It was clear improvement, but still inductor feeled al little sticky in lightest use. Because of that I decided to replace spring to HLC spring and it made inductor practically fixed in BFS use. And if it move, HLC spring is strong enought to pull it back. So now it works. But after I have bought finesse spools and RCSB spool similar to original, I don't have used this original spool.

I'm still not biggest fan of inductor in RCSB spool similar to original, but yes, it works on power finesse. But clearly I must try Ray's parts to original spool. And maybe HLC spring with Ray's parts.

Theoretically sv brake could be really good in distance casting. Inductor ramp launches inductor to magnetic field and strong enough spring to pull it back directly after launch of ramp. That actually should be good. But I'm unsure is there available enough strong springs for decent power casting.

Discussion on Magforce-Z activation revolutions, and there is also part of sv brakes:
http://tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=83906

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I changed Rays Studio inductor (and ramp) and made a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYc19zxDbRw
It's spoken in Finnish but you guys are intelligent and understand despite of that. :)

Haven't still tested spool and it needs line before that.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:06 am

Some pics comparing the Ray's inductor to an Airy Red Pixy inductor. They are very similar. One is is Magforce V and the other is Air Brake.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200709-103501_Gallery_copy_720x542.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-103501_Gallery_copy_720x542.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
Screenshot_20200709-103446_Gallery_copy_720x543.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-103446_Gallery_copy_720x543.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
Screenshot_20200709-103245_Gallery_copy_720x543.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-103245_Gallery_copy_720x543.jpg (41.48 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
Screenshot_20200709-103227_Gallery_copy_720x470.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-103227_Gallery_copy_720x470.jpg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 6638 times

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:13 am

Anybody knows, what's the difference of sv brake vs. Air brake (or Kahen brake)?

I think those working principle is exactly same (twisting inductor, activation ramp, soft spring).

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:23 am

Same thing. Daiwa calls it Air Brake on the Air spools and SV spools. SV spools are basically unported deep Air Spools. Air Brake came out 1st and then Daiwa applied the brake mechanisium to higher capacity light weight spools to get the same smooth casting the Air spools were l known for.

The Ray's spools use a thinner inductor that is slightly tapered and a stiffer spring than what Daiwa uses. Some Ray's spools do have a thick Daiwa type inductor though as do other non-Ray's brand DIY spools.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:17 am

Yeah, Ray's inductor has thinner walls than sv Inductor. Ray's inductor is bigger / broader. Ray's inductor seems having slightly less travel than SV inductor. Ray's inductor is much lighter, it weights 1.0 gram. SV inductor weights 1.6 gram. Because my 70 sv spool has been un-used, I swapped Ray's inductor to it. I didn't have Ray's spring easily available, so I let HLC spring be in this spool. Still I haven't tested spool.
Rays inductor sv spool.JPG
Rays inductor sv spool.JPG (37.71 KiB) Viewed 6629 times
Edit: Now I tested. Nice spool to cast ~11 g. I'm not sure was inductor moving at all (HLC Spring in it) but it was comfortable to cast. I didn't compare to standard inductor / spool (RCSB 70) because I had more to test and testing was not main purpose, fishing was. Maybe I must still try sv spring and Ray's spring.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 am

adam lancia wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:14 am
LowRange wrote:

Exactly my issue as well. They used to make a deeper spool similar to the Megabass Honeycomb spools with the tapered inductor, and you could get the ported or unported too. I always have my eyes peeled for those, especially the 36mm spool for my US Trail's.
Some of those 36mm Ray's for TD Zillion are still around. I see them on ebay for $64 range.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:27 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 am
adam lancia wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Some of those 36mm Ray's for TD Zillion are still around. I see them on ebay for $64 range.
My eyes are peeled, like this: :shock:

Lol

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:33 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 am
adam lancia wrote:
LowRange wrote:

The ones I've seen are for the twing 1516 variants. I would kill for a couple for og zillions.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Hard to find good performance spools for the OG Zillion. 100M spools gets snatched up as soon as they're posted for sale. I just ended up getting spacers. Problem solved.