Rays studio inductor plus a type r inductor spring on sv spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rays studio inductor plus a type r inductor spring on sv spool

Post by fffishing » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:35 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:39 pm
fffishing wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:41 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:54 pm
fffishing wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:44 pm
Rays make the worst inductor in the world
They're completely miss understand what is that,and what is that for!
Both my coastal sv and sv103 were improved by switching inductors so I'll have to disagree
Maybe you need to try another ones to compare :)
Well lets see how many 34mm spools i've tested, or at least the ones that come to my mind. SLP WORKS 1010, the 1010 spool from the fx68, rcs1016 in black from the t3 and the silver from the ryoga1016, rc-001 and rc-002 from zpi, r+ spools from steez103, tdz type r+, td ito r+ in shallow and deep versions, standard spool from t3 ballistic, millionaire ringa hlc red kanji spool, the original rcs sv spools, the rcs1016 spool from the newer ryoga, the Ray's spool, and i'm most likely forgetting many. Do i need to test every spool made for the platform to know the Ray's spools perform way above average? They aren't only great, they're excellent without even taking their cheap price into consideration.

edit: thought you quoted me :crying: . But anyways, i did test the spool against many others, and it has never disappointed.
Wow! Looks like you trying everything! :D Just when I've talked about Ray bad inductor,I mean how this spool work on minimal weights ;) Did you cast 1/32 total weight with any of your "bunch of 34"? I bet,no...And Ray 34 tells that spool works 1.5-15 gr,but it's not...and started from 2.5gr,plus really nervous couse thin inductor does'n work correctly.
Here's the Momo spool,work nice and easy with 1/64 ...yea,0.5gram.
So,maybe we just talking about different things ;)
20200711_091402[1].jpg
20200711_091402[1].jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 4717 times

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:51 pm
My only gripe about the Ray's is that that excellent distance tuned inductor is better suited to the kind of baits that I want a little more capacity with. Their spools are so shallow that they don't hold enough 20# braid for Ned rigs or 1/4 oz cranks. At the same time they are not that good for UL baits because that fast inductor and stiff spring don't want to activate with little UL baits. They have the capacity of a fixed inductor UL spool but the braking profile of a distance tuned finesse spool. The Tatula of all things gets an Air Brake tapered inductor deep spool. The 1016/103 spools get a deeper spool but fixed inductor.

Just make a deep Ray's like the ones for the Tatula Long Cast but for Pixy, Alphas and Steez.
+100%
That's exactly what I was trying to say before.And of course all about UL lures. What the point to use shallow spool on weights 1/4 and more? Just to empty it on cast)))

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:20 am

fffishing wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 am
LowRange wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:51 pm
My only gripe about the Ray's is that that excellent distance tuned inductor is better suited to the kind of baits that I want a little more capacity with. Their spools are so shallow that they don't hold enough 20# braid for Ned rigs or 1/4 oz cranks. At the same time they are not that good for UL baits because that fast inductor and stiff spring don't want to activate with little UL baits. They have the capacity of a fixed inductor UL spool but the braking profile of a distance tuned finesse spool. The Tatula of all things gets an Air Brake tapered inductor deep spool. The 1016/103 spools get a deeper spool but fixed inductor.

Just make a deep Ray's like the ones for the Tatula Long Cast but for Pixy, Alphas and Steez.
+100%
That's exactly what I was trying to say before.And of course all about UL lures. What the point to use shallow spool on weights 1/4 and more? Just to empty it on cast)))
I see. Yes, they really should have deeper spools with their Air Brake inductors and use the shallow spools with a fixed inductor but they do not.

They should also have an SV spool for the Tatulas CTs but they do not. The closest is the Ray's Long Cast for the old Tatulas. That one has a SV spool like construction and inductor but a stiffer spring. It is basically a distance tuned SV spool but is bad for skipping. I have one in my old Tatula Type R.

I have also turned an old Ray's spools into a fixed inductor with glue and it works well enough. My Black Max Momo spool has a broader range of adjustment and is better overall. The homemade fixed inductor goes from over brake to too fast too quickly on the dial for my tastes. It has a narrow useable range but is still pretty decent. Stock it was wild and unusable.
Attachments
20200515_201300-1612x1209_copy_1209x907.jpg
20200515_201300-1612x1209_copy_1209x907.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
Screenshot_20200620-134205_Gallery_copy_720x482.jpg
Screenshot_20200620-134205_Gallery_copy_720x482.jpg (34.2 KiB) Viewed 4709 times

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:45 pm

fffishing wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:35 am
SSS wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:39 pm
fffishing wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:41 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:54 pm
fffishing wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:44 pm
Rays make the worst inductor in the world
They're completely miss understand what is that,and what is that for!
Both my coastal sv and sv103 were improved by switching inductors so I'll have to disagree
Maybe you need to try another ones to compare :)
Well lets see how many 34mm spools i've tested, or at least the ones that come to my mind. SLP WORKS 1010, the 1010 spool from the fx68, rcs1016 in black from the t3 and the silver from the ryoga1016, rc-001 and rc-002 from zpi, r+ spools from steez103, tdz type r+, td ito r+ in shallow and deep versions, standard spool from t3 ballistic, millionaire ringa hlc red kanji spool, the original rcs sv spools, the rcs1016 spool from the newer ryoga, the Ray's spool, and i'm most likely forgetting many. Do i need to test every spool made for the platform to know the Ray's spools perform way above average? They aren't only great, they're excellent without even taking their cheap price into consideration.

edit: thought you quoted me :crying: . But anyways, i did test the spool against many others, and it has never disappointed.
Wow! Looks like you trying everything! :D Just when I've talked about Ray bad inductor,I mean how this spool work on minimal weights ;) Did you cast 1/32 total weight with any of your "bunch of 34"? I bet,no...And Ray 34 tells that spool works 1.5-15 gr,but it's not...and started from 2.5gr,plus really nervous couse thin inductor does'n work correctly.
Here's the Momo spool,work nice and easy with 1/64 ...yea,0.5gram.
So,maybe we just talking about different things ;)
20200711_091402[1].jpg
Not 1/32. I use a pixy for the lowest weight i have. On the 34mm Ray's, the lowest i was casting is 1/16, and it worked very well. Since the spool holds a good amount of line (#10 braid), i was mostly casting 1/4oz on it, and it bombs them to zimbabwe.

yplee33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yplee33 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:23 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:08 am
yplee33 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:35 am
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:22 pm
My coastal sv was lacking a bit in the casting dept so this past weekend I decided to swap in a rays studio inductor and a type r inductor spring. I fished with the reel Thursday, man what a difference. This thing will bomb baits now, but I will say if you don't plan on adjusting the spool, it will be quite wild I believe. I don't care for the zero adjuster and still adjust spool tension. With the spool tension adjusted, it's not terribly wild.
Hi, may i know which Type-R model spring do you choose? Currently my setup for both of my SV spool is Ray rotor and Mag-V spring. After swaped, casting 1/2 to 1oz like a dream. Only skipping application, sometime too wild like a beast, need some thumb control.
Tdz type r plus spring from the tackletrap
Hi, just confirmed to Daiwa Japan parts website, TDZ Type-R+ same as some Mag-V reel, example Alphas, Steez, Milionaire, TD-Z / X / ito, they share the same spring. (japan parts number is 133535)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:21 pm

There are at least sv spring, 'standard spring', which is in V spools and in most of Z spools, and HLC spring which is naturally in HLC spools and in some of big Z spools. I'ze HLC spring is (was in my spool) something between original HLC spring and standard Magforce Z spring. Ray's spring obviously is something between sv spring and Magforce Z spring.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:44 pm

Bumping to say that I have done a Ray's inductor swap on an Alphas SV spool and it really improved the performance of the SV at the cost of easy of skipping. Skipping is still easily doable but with the rays inductor mistakes are punished more harshly. The distance and control casting has been great. I was throwing weightless flukes on 10# flouro almost as far as my Engetsu on braid and that Engetsu can launch. The Alphas SV Ray's inducutor was nearly matching it but still taming flouro, handling wind and skipping with near stock inductor easy as long as your skipping technique is on point. What was really surprising is the the Alphas SV already has a thin inductor so I wasn't expecting much improvement but it definitely makes the spool faster and freer casting while still retaining the same or very similar braking profile.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:12 am

Ray's induktor cup is broader than sv spools inductor, and it's thinner and it's lighter.

So, in case of ray's inductor, in a 'protruded' position there's a little less inductor mass in the electric field. Magforce should be turned a little more. Which usually is good, because typically Magforce is strong enough to be turned more, and same time Magforce can be adjusted more accurately.

And because Ray's inductor is broader than standard sv spools inductor, in 'retracted' position there's obviously same amount (or little less) of inductor mass in electrific field than in standard sv spool inductor has (because Ray's inductor is broader but thinner).

So in Ray's inductor difference in brake forces Min vs. Max is smaller than in standard sv spools inductor, which is good at least in case of light lures.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:32 am

Tony9 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:32 pm
Hard to find good performance spools for the OG Zillion. 100M spools gets snatched up as soon as they're posted for sale. I just ended up getting spacers. Problem solved.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... mainSearch

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I just see this add a lot and thought it might help.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:40 am

I'd like to try a Ray's spool. 34mm that will work in a Steez SV, Steez SV TW, and Tdz. I've only found shallow spool options. Are there any that hold a little more line? Roughly the same amount as a standard SV spool. Could someone point me in the right direction? I really like the Zpi Nrc001-m and KTF Neo spools in these platforms, but I would like to try a Ray's spool for comparison sakes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:36 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:40 am
I'd like to try a Ray's spool. 34mm that will work in a Steez SV, Steez SV TW, and Tdz. I've only found shallow spool options. Are there any that hold a little more line? Roughly the same amount as a standard SV spool. Could someone point me in the right direction? I really like the Zpi Nrc001-m and KTF Neo spools in these platforms, but I would like to try a Ray's spool for comparison sakes.
Nope. Best bet is to do the inductor swap on an SV spool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:11 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:36 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:40 am
Nope. Best bet is to do the inductor swap on an SV spool.
Lame

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:07 am

You should actually try these two spools. I have both and really like the AMO. I need some more time with the long cast spool.

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/400080 ... tml=static

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/i/400003413 ... tml=static

I always find straight fluoro a pain but the AMO spool takes it beautifully for my poorly educated thumb.

The long cast spool is a little wilder. I tried fluoro on it and didn't like it at all. Braid to leader is next and I have high hopes for it in that capacity. Again, my thumb isn't the best so your mileage may vary.

I used the AMO spool in an IS71 and the long cast in a TD-Z. I'll be trying the long cast in an OG Steez once things up here thaw out.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:07 am

adam lancia wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:07 am
You should actually try these two spools. I have both and really like the AMO. I need some more time with the long cast spool.

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/400080 ... tml=static

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/i/400003413 ... tml=static

I always find straight fluoro a pain but the AMO spool takes it beautifully for my poorly educated thumb.

The long cast spool is a little wilder. I tried fluoro on it and didn't like it at all. Braid to leader is next and I have high hopes for it in that capacity. Again, my thumb isn't the best so your mileage may vary.

I used the AMO spool in an IS71 and the long cast in a TD-Z. I'll be trying the long cast in an OG Steez once things up here thaw out.
I have both and have fished them in IS reels, LIN 10 and OG Steez. I can tell you right now they do not play nice with the OG weak magnets. The Amo is slightly better than the unuseable Long Cast in the OG but slightly better and unusable is still really bad. Both are great in the IS thanks to the strong magnets. I would give the Long Cast an edge for the multi position inductor. The Amo wouldnt fit in the LIN 10/Ryoga but the Long Cast did and behaved just as it did in the IS73. I havent fished either in a TD-Z but I think the Amo would win out in that one if the magnets are stronger than an OG Steez but weaker than an IS. The longer inductor may help tame the Amo in the TD-Z.

Neither are "long cast" spools being linear mag brake. Give them enough dial to not blow up on a normal or bomb cast and they over brake at the end and the bait appears to float before it hits the water. Back the dial off to free it up at the end of the cast and your reward is the spool blowing up a second after you release. Its the nature of this braking profile.

What I have learned is to run the dial lower and use a softer and much smoother casting motion. I could match my bomb cast setting distance with the same baits with less effort. Ultimately they failed to beat out true distance tuned non linear spools is casting distance by quite a bit but were great in a completely different role. Tossing baits to targets working cover roll casting and pitching is where I found they excell. I can get very good distance with a flat trajectory without any effort.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:16 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:32 am
Tony9 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:32 pm
Hard to find good performance spools for the OG Zillion. 100M spools gets snatched up as soon as they're posted for sale. I just ended up getting spacers. Problem solved.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... mainSearch

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I just see this add a lot and thought it might help.
Going with the spacers just made more sense for me. I have lots of 34mm spools I can swap in and out. Also, I wasn't looking to make it into a BFS reel, as it is quite heavy (almost 8 oz). I have BFS reels that are much lighter for those applications.