What do "new" spinning reels offer?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What do "new" spinning reels offer?

Post by CGrinder » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:22 pm

So I'm ignorant on many advances in spinning reel technology. I have an older Tierra 2500. Would I gain anything significant or fun by purchasing, say, a Luvias?

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What do "new" spinning reels offer?

Post by Pastrmka » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:40 pm

Little to none in terms of on the water performance...in the terms of feel you'll get smoother and lighter reel with newer offerings

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:05 pm

Lighter overall weight, less play*, lighter rotation... But overall still a spinning reel.

I've not found much chop in changing to newer reels.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:20 am

All the above and better line management.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:31 am

Line management and weight primary. The older metal reels such as your Tierra feel smoother imo, but perhaps less connected. The old Tierra, Advantage, Sol, etc should last a lifetime. Not so sure about modern Zaion based reels.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:00 am

The faster gear ratios are the main reason. It is a big difference if you fish quickly.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:30 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:20 am
better line management
With line management the following reels I own, say from the Stradic FI to FJ to FK(which I don't own) to the FL the line winds on typically - qualifiable is hard to say different lines and winding / lure twitching / retrieval techniques all add to issues of line blowouts on the spool, messy line lay and the dreaded wind knots.

While the line on the newest FL lays under tension beautifully - its not hard to appreciate the line lay of any model before it either.

With casting distance too that's a tough one for me to swallow - custom built rod purpose suited to the choke of the line of one reel will be detrimental to the other vice versa - I'm pretty spurious about the claims made these days...

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:33 pm

toddmc wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:00 am
The faster gear ratios are the main reason. It is a big difference if you fish quickly.
or even if you don’t fish quickly as most of my presentations are on the finesse side.

I do appreciate being able to catch up to a tank smallmouth running toward me. It’s there when I need it.

I do much prefer today’s out of this world smoothness compared to when I fished Zebco Cardinals sans bail (that’s how far back I go with spins) particularly when being able to discern that sub 45 degree water temp smallmouth tic/wet leaf bite in deep water consolidated wintering holes.

I’ll take every advantage I can get and I’m glad to pay for it. If I only occasionally fished spinning equipment my opinion may be different but I rely on it every time out despite season. It’s how I came in and how I’m going out. It’s been a good ride.

Happy shopping.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:09 am

I would say they offer value. It wasn’t too long ago ago most spinning reels under $100 were a throwaway reel. Now you can purchase something like a Daiwa BG, Exceler LT, Shimano Sahara and the reels are super smooth and reliable. If you service and take care of them properly they can last for years.