Do you mind Daiwa going full Made In Thailand?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 63

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:36 am

With the rise of Tatulas, there's more and more Daiwa reels made in Thailand. So it needs to be asked. Do you mind buying your next Steez (for the same price. oh you thought it'd be less expensive? nono. that's not how we roll here) that is made in Thailand?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Do you mind Daiwa going full Made In Thailand?

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:18 am

Bit like when Bassday Sugarpen's sneakily were stopped being manufactured in Japan and then made in Thailand... Yet price remained the same with 'Made in Thailand' in tiny script at the bottom of the packet...

Brought it up with the Australian importers and didn't I get a serve - but shouldn't we call this out?...

A lot of stuff nowadays is made by the lowest cost assembly line workers - they get paid bugger all - quality of the assembly is questionable because the poor wretches are overworked - yet end consumers are still asked to pay the highest price.

It's only going to get worse.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:22 am

If quality and tolerances would be same as Japan made, it doesnt mind. But im afraid its not! Better to get some CT Steez's more!

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:06 am

I would rather Thailand than China.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:26 am

Does it have grease?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:03 am

CGrinder wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:26 am
Does it have grease?
I'm not sure if they are legally able to import grease into Thailand. :P That's gotta be why the Tatulas come bone dry. :doh:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:18 am

No. They have already proven they can't put grease in reels.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:11 pm

yes as they are still charging JDM prices for reels not made in Japan. IF the move of manufacture come with a price cut then it wouldn't be so bad. Be careful with buying new luvias as well. The luvias is made in Japan and China

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:11 pm
yes as they are still charging JDM prices for reels not made in Japan. IF the move of manufacture come with a price cut then it wouldn't be so bad. Be careful with buying new luvias as well. The luvias is made in Japan and China
Same model in different countries? What the hell is this.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:10 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:11 pm
Be careful with buying new luvias as well. The luvias is made in Japan and China
The Chinese made one comes with a free sticker...
Attachments
IMG_20200706_150620.jpg
IMG_20200706_150620.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 7318 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am

If the QC is the same, then it really shouldn't matter. I'd like to think that a company like Daiwa wouldn't let it get out the door and hit the market. It will be there collapse of reputation if so. Nobody here is going to accept it, however the general consumer will, and likely won't know any better. It's pretty obvious who Daiwas aiming for with all the Tatula BS. It's not us enthusiast crowd, and what flagship type of reels remaining MIJ are already stupid priced. The new Metanium is looking awfully good :whistle:. Otherwise keep buying the classics. I'm waiting to see if we get a new Alphas TW - MIJ. If not, I'll grab an Alphas CT, and wait for the word on the street with new reels being made in Thailand.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am
If the QC is the same, then it really shouldn't matter. I'd like to think that a company like Daiwa wouldn't let it get out the door and hit the market. It will be there collapse of reputation if so. Nobody here is going to accept it, however the general consumer will, and likely won't know any better. It's pretty obvious who Daiwas aiming for with all the Tatula BS. It's not us enthusiast crowd, and what flagship type of reels remaining MIJ are already stupid priced. The new Metanium is looking awfully good :whistle:. Otherwise keep buying the classics. I'm waiting to see if we get a new Alphas TW - MIJ. If not, I'll grab an Alphas CT, and wait for the word on the street with new reels being made in Thailand.
With the Alphas AIR TW being made in Thailand I think that pretty much solidifies the whole lineup being made there.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:13 am

Not happy with the direction Daiwa is headed.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Made in Japan is a big deal for me. In some cases this is the only decision factor.
If Daiwa moves everything to Thailand and customers eat it up, next move would be to even lower expense country like Papua New Guinea. Basically they don't care about quality control.
Noticed some companies moved production from US to Mexico awhile ago, now they moving stuff from Mexico to Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:08 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:49 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am
With the Alphas AIR TW being made in Thailand I think that pretty much solidifies the whole lineup being made there.
Maybe