PX68

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

PX68

Post by goldrod » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:33 pm

So I’ve FINALLY did it.
I have this pixy spooled with 16lb sunline and it’s mounted on a Steez 7’1 rod the old black and red stick. I’m very impressed on how well they mesh.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: PX68

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:02 am

I've been thinking about picking up a pixy variant recently. What do you like about this version, say, compared to the others? What kind/size of baits have you been throwing with it?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:02 am
I've been thinking about picking up a pixy variant recently. What do you like about this version, say, compared to the others? What kind/size of baits have you been throwing with it?
To be honest with you I wasn't a pixy fan until I stop trying to pixify the reel. When i discovered that you can do so much more than BFS stuff I began to take notice. My first Pixy was the PXTR because after extensive reading it came with all the things I would want on it any ways. That reel was purchased on the spot by my wife so it has a great place in my heart. That being said I struggled to find the right rod for me to use it and came across a Black widow rod and its been on it ever since..I have a Finesse spool in it and I use it for trigs, negs, dropshots wacky and stuff like that.. The PX68 from my understanding is the exact same reel except for the colors and the clicking drag star which I did get from daiwa but not installed. This reel has been used for frogs, 3/8 and below jigs, pitching creature baits and medium topwater lures. I have the PXTR spool in the PX68 just for cosmetic purposes. Both have been tuned and honestly I got the PX68 for a good deal on ichaban tackle before Covid19

What I love about the reel is the diversity and compactness of it.
You dont need alot of line so I can buy a typically more expensive floro and smaller more expensive braids.. I highly encourage you to get one and tune it.. What I will say MOST of all is dont look at the reel as some light duty only reel but as a diminutive workhorse that palms easily and given the right gear ratio you can do anything. The Jackall Kaera frog is a great frog for the Pixy given that you up grade the drag. I forgot to mention upgrading the drag.
I haven't used but two of the variants of the reel but I will say they are identical but the spools allow me to use them differently. I have no regrets on either of the ones I have and dont see myself selling them at all. The PXTR was a good amount of money new and you can find them for 200 or less in really decent shape. If I were to get another it would be the KTF Airy Red Custom because I read that there weren't alot made.

I hope this helps you in deciding. The reel is a gem !
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:41 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:02 am
To be honest with you I wasn't a pixy fan until I stop trying to pixify the reel. When i discovered that you can do so much more than BFS stuff I began to take notice. My first Pixy was the PXTR because after extensive reading it came with all the things I would want on it any ways. That reel was purchased on the spot by my wife so it has a great place in my heart. That being said I struggled to find the right rod for me to use it and came across a Black widow rod and its been on it ever since..I have a Finesse spool in it and I use it for trigs, negs, dropshots wacky and stuff like that.. The PX68 from my understanding is the exact same reel except for the colors and the clicking drag star which I did get from daiwa but not installed. This reel has been used for frogs, 3/8 and below jigs, pitching creature baits and medium topwater lures. I have the PXTR spool in the PX68 just for cosmetic purposes. Both have been tuned and honestly I got the PX68 for a good deal on ichaban tackle before Covid19

What I love about the reel is the diversity and compactness of it.
You dont need alot of line so I can buy a typically more expensive floro and smaller more expensive braids.. I highly encourage you to get one and tune it.. What I will say MOST of all is dont look at the reel as some light duty only reel but as a diminutive workhorse that palms easily and given the right gear ratio you can do anything. The Jackall Kaera frog is a great frog for the Pixy given that you up grade the drag. I forgot to mention upgrading the drag.
I haven't used but two of the variants of the reel but I will say they are identical but the spools allow me to use them differently. I have no regrets on either of the ones I have and dont see myself selling them at all. The PXTR was a good amount of money new and you can find them for 200 or less in really decent shape. If I were to get another it would be the KTF Airy Red Custom because I read that there weren't alot made.

I hope this helps you in deciding. The reel is a gem !
Great info, thanks! I see one of these reels in my future pretty soon. I've already picked up a PX68 and PX Ize finesse spool that should be here today. I was going to make some spacers and play around with them in other reels, mainly an OG Steez.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:10 am

The Pixy is a favorite platform of mine. Sadly, I just sold my silver mica Pixzilla to another TT member. I will miss her, but I'll find another Pixy soon enough.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:05 am

I have tried 16lb Sniper on a PIxy and while it works, it takes a lot of thumb. I spend a lot of time/money trying to find the "Ideal combo for fishing Trickworms in medium/heavy cover via close range casts/pitches w/o using braid" and while the the PX68 did pitch very well, it was also very uncontrolled and required perfect thumbing every time to not blow up a little. It worked far far better making normal casts and paired up with a 783c it made a very nice all around combo, just not the Ideal I am questing for.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:10 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:10 am
The Pixy is a favorite platform of mine. Sadly, I just sold my silver mica Pixzilla to another TT member. I will miss her, but I'll find another Pixy soon enough.
8-[ :mrgreen:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:19 am

Houndfish wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:05 am
I have tried 16lb Sniper on a PIxy and while it works, it takes a lot of thumb. I spend a lot of time/money trying to find the "Ideal combo for fishing Trickworms in medium/heavy cover via close range casts/pitches w/o using braid" and while the the PX68 did pitch very well, it was also very uncontrolled and required perfect thumbing every time to not blow up a little. It worked far far better making normal casts and paired up with a 783c it made a very nice all around combo, just not the Ideal I am questing for.
Stock Spool or not?
Reason I ask is because my PXTR refused to be controlled.. Nothing I did worked and this was after i had it tuned
I changed the bearings to SLP Works and even Hedgehog bearings and that helped tremendously.. I guess i down graded but it worked and i can't explain why.. That being said, I swapped spools from the original spool to the PX68 spool that wasn't touched
and even with the first bearings I had that were out of control , it was controllable.. Im guessing it was the spools spring

I dont have any issues with the PXTR spool in the PX68 nor any issues with the Finesse Spool in the PXTR
I would suggest the later of the two for what your looking to do. Just a suggestion and my experience .

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:38 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:19 am
Stock Spool or not?
Reason I ask is because my PXTR refused to be controlled.. Nothing I did worked and this was after i had it tuned
I changed the bearings to SLP Works and even Hedgehog bearings and that helped tremendously.. I guess i down graded but it worked and i can't explain why.. That being said, I swapped spools from the original spool to the PX68 spool that wasn't touched
and even with the first bearings I had that were out of control , it was controllable.. Im guessing it was the spools spring

I dont have any issues with the PXTR spool in the PX68 nor any issues with the Finesse Spool in the PXTR
I would suggest the later of the two for what your looking to do. Just a suggestion and my experience .
I tried the PX68 w/ stock spool and with a stock "normal" Pixy spool. With 12lb Sniper it worked a lot better for pitches/soft casts but the 16lb line was unmanageable if the rod was not loaded. For more normal casting the 16lb line worked out well, I kept the brakes at like 75% on and it would cast the 783c's full 1/4-3/4 range very well with decent control. It was outstanding for pitching a 1/4oz jig w/ trailer, but that would load the rod's tip where the Trickworm would not.

I recognize that my needs/wants are very niche and I likely need to nut up and look at solid tip MH rods to find something that will both load a 1/4oz on a soft pitch/cast and have the power to get a bass out of the junk.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:42 am

I had a px68L that I regret selling. I had it tuned and it was great but the problem was I only looked at it as a finesse/bfs reel only and didn't even consider using it for anything else. I've been looking for a clean left hand pixy for a decent price ever since.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 am

If you want an amazing casting all purpose reel just stick the ZPI CP 301 spool in a PX Type R / PX68 reel and you have a monster of a reel!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 am
If you want an amazing casting all purpose reel just stick the ZPI CP 301 spool in a PX Type R / PX68 reel and you have a monster of a reel!
The hunt it on. 😂
But really been putting my feelers out to see the availability of this spool