Daiwa Air Stream Custom Problems

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Matavase83
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Air Stream Custom Problems

Post by Matavase83 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:47 am

Hi All,

I have a „problem“ with my ASC, in about 5 times I went fishing I got line under my spool...

I had a 7,4 lb sunline troutist x8 braid, and braid got under spool when I casted „too hard“

I tried to tigthten the brake but it still happened.

I put some nylon 6 lb braid on it (varivas baitfinesse) and it happened again...

Am I doing something wrong? I do appreciate that I can get a birds nest if I do something wrong, but line under spool is really a pain in the a..., never happened on my Aldebaran BFS

Any help greatly appreciated,
Chris

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Air Stream Custom Problems

Post by ss30378 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:50 am

There’s really not much that can be done other than using a thicker like. The gap between the spool and frame is just big enough to allow Uber thin lines to squeeze through it. I used 4lb mono and fluoro without issue.

Maybe a spacer could be made to tighten the gap but it would only be a couple thousands thick which would be a pretty tough to do on a pliable material.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:36 am

The thin braids have this issue. You can under fill slightly to help mitigate this but switching to a larger diameter line is the only way to solve it.

I was also under the impression that the Alde BFS was one if the worst offenders of this based on the number or reports but that could be because it is so popular. The same line does not do this on the Alde BFS?

Matavase83
Angler
Angler

Post by Matavase83 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:38 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:36 am
The thin braids have this issue. You can under fill slightly to help mitigate this but switching to a larger diameter line is the only way to solve it.

I was also under the impression that the Alde BFS was one if the worst offenders of this based on the number or reports but that could be because it is so popular. The same line does not do this on the Alde BFS?
Thanks to both for your answers!

I am using the same braid on the Alde BFS and never had a similar issue! The thicker line is what I tried to do as it was my first guess too, the 6 lb mono is about 0,14 or 0,16 mm and therefore at least 2 times thicker than the braid, but happened anyway... putting an even thicker line means not being able to throw my 3 gr lures anymore, and this reel is meant for my bfs ul combo, so wouldn‘t make any sense...

Will just try it again and see if making only smooth casts solves the problem.

Thanks again
Chris

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:36 am

6lb mono shouldn’t be able to squeeze through there. The gap between my spool and frame was between.005-.006” iirc. Most 6lb mono is around .009-.010” in diameter so you’re gap would be at least .010” to allow 6lb line through there. That seems overly excessive. Do you have the stock ASC spool in the reel?

Matavase83
Angler
Angler

Post by Matavase83 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:45 am

Yes i do have the original reel and spool as it came from japantackle or japanlure, don‘t remember.

I will try to tighten the mechanical brake further and see what happens.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:56 am

can you post of picture of the frame gap? maybe yours is excessive?