Daiwa LP Reel Bearings Knocking?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa LP Reel Bearings Knocking?

Post by Kurt L » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 pm

I have a problem with several of my LP reels, Lexa 300, Steez A, Steez SV103 and intermittently Tat. Type R CT. all of them are Lefty's and 8.1-1 Ratio but the Lexa. They have developed a knock for every revolution of the spool and depending on the load it comes and goes, I'm pretty certain it is the spool bearing on the handle side. All of the reels are very low hours, I'm pretty certain it's not coming from the gears they are nice and smooth? I'm a converted Shimano guy after 30 years and have never experienced this before, Both my Steez started doing it the the first day on the water? Any ideas on what the cause/fix could be?

Thanks, Kurt

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa LP Reel Bearings Knocking?

Post by domthewon » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:51 pm

Not sure, but you might want to check how tight your spool tension knob is. My buddy had a similar issue when switching to Daiwa and he was using that knob instead/ more than using the breaks to slow the spool down. And you could feel a little knock turning the handle. Daiwa bearings are pretty decent. Anyways I hope it’s an easy fix.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:25 am

Hold the handle still and rock the spool back and forth. What you hear is likely the spool pin ticking in the groove of the pinion gear, where it doesn't fit tightly.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Kurt L wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 pm
I have a problem with several of my LP reels, Lexa 300, Steez A, Steez SV103 and intermittently Tat. Type R CT. all of them are Lefty's and 8.1-1 Ratio but the Lexa. They have developed a knock for every revolution of the spool and depending on the load it comes and goes, I'm pretty certain it is the spool bearing on the handle side. All of the reels are very low hours, I'm pretty certain it's not coming from the gears they are nice and smooth? I'm a converted Shimano guy after 30 years and have never experienced this before, Both my Steez started doing it the the first day on the water? Any ideas on what the cause/fix could be?

Thanks, Kurt
It’s the tolerance between the pinion gear and the spool pin. If the spool tension is set too loose than the spool will rock back and forward a bit in each revolution only with very light loads.
If the load is higher, the pin stays always in contact with the pinion gear and no knocking.

This is normal and no correction is need. Just a by product of the zero adjuster.

Adding a bit of grease where the pinion gear meets the spool might alleviate the symptoms.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:35 am

I'm aware of that little bit of play in the pinion but this different, it's a knocking that I feel when cranking and it is pretty much on par with each spool rotation so about eight per turn of the handle, it feels like a ball bearing skidding for a moment like it is dry or has water in it? I have lubed the bearings with Bantam oil and then again later with TSI 321, I'm kind of at a loss to figure it out :-k
Both of my Steez gears are butter smooth but the intermittent knocking or ticking is driving me crazy. I'm thinking it's either the spool bearing or the pinion support bearing? any ideas?

Kurt

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:15 am

I know what your talking about. I like to call it the "Tatula Tick"... Regardless of if its Shimano or other.

It's like one gear tooth is burred, one point of a bearing (Anti Reverse) is faulty or something. You can change out parts till the cows come home and it's there till the very end.

You have to try everything independently till you find your offending part...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:18 am

Need rule out if is a bearing or not. If load needs to be present then loosen the drag some, tie off to something and then walk off some line without rotating the handle. If the tick is only present when turning the handle then it is not spool bearing related.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:25 am

Also if you are feeling 8 ticks per one handle rotation then it is likely a pinion gear issue. Every Tatula 100 I've felt does this. I don't own any modern Steez for fear of this very issue and no known brass gear replacement for this new Steez.