Daiwa Exist LT FC abrasion?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fezken
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Exist LT FC abrasion?

Post by fezken » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:58 am

Hello,

I recently got a brand new Daiwa Exist LT FC 2000S-P from Japan, and I have fished it for a little over a week.
Yesterday I think started feeling a slight abrasion/resistance(possibly) in the handle, when turning the reel at low speed. It's not very pronounced, but I can feel something transmitting through the handle when cranking the reel. It's like I can feel the revolution of the gears or the spool. This is the first time since I unboxed it that I have been playing with the reel unmounted. This is without any load, i.e when the reel is not mounted to any rod.

I was wondering if this is normal?

The thing is, I can't really remember how the reel felt like out of the box. But I did not notice anything at that time.
I might also be overly critical, which I tend to be. So I would appreciate hearing from other Daiwa owners how their reels feel like.

Thanks

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Exist LT FC abrasion?

Post by Slazmo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:34 am

One guy here in Aus I know got an imported Exist LT, sent it to Daiwa twice to get it fixed - fixed the first time and it relapsed.

Something ain't right with some of them, seems like something scrubs internally or something is out of alignment somewhere. I wasn't privy to the overall outcome or the parts replaced other than I was told fixed on both occasions by Daiwa.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:43 am

I have a few of the Exist LT US models, all of them are "perfect" even after quite a bit of use. The Tackle Trap is a Daiwa Exist Exclusive service center and none have been sent in with this type of problem.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:34 am

Don't know, could be a series run issue? Had a screen recording of the video he sent me but too hard to do again and upload to YouTube and link etc, so here's a succinct grab of the convo.
IMG_20200904_002728.jpg
IMG_20200904_002728.jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
IMG_20200904_002710.jpg
IMG_20200904_002710.jpg (18.53 KiB) Viewed 4962 times

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:00 am

Thanks for the answer guys.

It feels like something scrubs internally , as you said. Should not be the case with such an expensive reel. I have already contacted Daiwa locally, and I will send it to them for repairs.

Trout seasons ends in 12 days here. Should I avoid using the reel, and just send it in straight away?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:11 am

fezken wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:00 am
Thanks for the answer guys.

It feels like something scrubs internally , as you said. Should not be the case with such an expensive reel. I have already contacted Daiwa locally, and I will send it to them for repairs.

Trout seasons ends in 12 days here. Should I avoid using the reel, and just send it in straight away?
I don't know what the warranty is like for JDM models, but with only 12 days left, I'd fish the reel and send it afterward...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:23 pm

I might wait the 12 days. Not really sure if i'm going to though. Having problems enjoying the reel when I know something is not right.

I hope the warranty covers it, but if not, i'll have no problems paying to get it fixed. This really sucks. I was looking to pick up a second exist for next year, but now i'm in doubt. I probably will anyways though. I compared it too some of my other reels, and there is definitely something wrong. I feel resistance , which impacts the smoothness of the reel.

I have read that some people , in the US i think, have had issues with getting Daiwa to service their JDM reels.
I could not find any indication of this being an issue at Daiwa Scandinavia.

By the way; Do any of you know if the Exist LT 2000D-P and the Exist LT FC 2000S-P share the same internals? I know that the FC has a shallow spool and less magsealed bearings. If they are the same, there should be no issue servicing the FC one.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Got that video uploaded.

https://youtu.be/w42zwBuC4HU

The guys English ain't crash hot - and the screen recording is a bit jittery for some reason but you get the jist.

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Interesting.

If I understand it correctly the spool gets kind of stuck when it hits the bottom of the rotor?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:54 am

I had an Exist Lt that was a little raspy. Didn't like it, sold it.

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:20 am

I really like the reel, so I will have it fixed. Haven't tried any other reel that quite compare to the feeling of this one.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:06 am

Gary, can you guys work on JDM Daiwa’s for a cost, since JDM reels aren’t warrantied by Daiwa US?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:25 am

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:06 am
Gary, can you guys work on JDM Daiwa’s for a cost, since JDM reels aren’t warrantied by Daiwa US?
Yes sir. The Tackle Trap is one of very few Exist LT Certified service centers in the US and Bryan is happy to service or work on both US and JDM models.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks!!

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:24 pm

Does anyone know if the jdm version shares the same internals as the usdm/eudm version? Gears and such