Reel waterproofing & you.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Reel waterproofing & you.

Post by Slazmo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Anyone else notice that the majors are all trying to out-waterproof each other?

The carefree use of IP (Ingress Protection) labels on reels is becoming near comically normal.

Daiwa with its Oilseal and subsequent Magseal. And shimano basically just using physical wiping / crush seals on a swath of subsequent reels throughout time.

But as the many reel testing / reviewing people out there (for the love of them...) what's the main goal of these systems? Is it to enhance sales through perceived "waterproof'ness" or is it actually hoping to get a reel to 'Skishing' standards?

Will we see reels so waterproof from the outside that they may become a wet gearbox design in time?

From my viewpoint, no reel is waterproof, no reel should be treated as so, some reels with seals suck in more water than those in the decade old and without any seals whatsoever.

Monday morning thoughts?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel waterproofing & you.

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:45 pm

I don't need waterproof, its a nice feature but if it slows down my retrieve in any way I would pass on it.

I have noticed that Shimano reels do have less rubber seals then Daiwa.

Its been about 10 years since I dunked a reel.

I only fish fresh water, I might think differently if I was fishing salt.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:30 pm

I dont mind a sealed drag, but anything else is marketing hype imho. Making a reel with superior corrosion-resistant materials is the best avenue, not trying to waterproof a reel. Sure, tight tolerances are always a good idea, but seals are just another drag/friction point to make the reel feel slower and/or less smooth. Just my 2 cents.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:21 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:30 pm
I dont mind a sealed drag, but anything else is marketing hype imho. Making a reel with superior corrosion-resistant materials is the best avenue, not trying to waterproof a reel. Sure, tight tolerances are always a good idea, but seals are just another drag/friction point to make the reel feel slower and/or less smooth. Just my 2 cents.
I've found in the past that extremely tight tolerances can actually be detrimental once you inevitably get some dirt or grime in a reel. My Calais 100A has to be cleaned fairly often or you can actually feel the grit in the gears. Meanwhile, I have a Fuego CT that I use wading rivers and I've never cleaned it...just keeps on trucking.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:31 pm

tywithay wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:21 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I've found in the past that extremely tight tolerances can actually be detrimental once you inevitably get some dirt or grime in a reel. My Calais 100A has to be cleaned fairly often or you can actually feel the grit in the gears. Meanwhile, I have a Fuego CT that I use wading rivers and I've never cleaned it...just keeps on trucking.
Fuego is a humvee, not very comfortable, but keeps going.
I think I would like a comfortable humvee.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:49 pm

rando wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:31 pm
tywithay wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:21 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fuego is a humvee, not very comfortable, but keeps going.
I think I would like a comfortable humvee.
So you want an original zillion :mrgreen:

I don't get the sealing against water, I fish way more salt than I do fresh and I honestly could care less about magseal on my daiwa reels. I get it for wade fishing the surf where you may be reeling with the reel under water, but even Penn reels aren't waterproof, even the ones that they build in the us instead of getting an oem to build them aren't waterproof.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:59 pm

They could Teflon coat my reels and that's about how much water proofing I'll need.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:59 pm
They could Teflon coat my reels and that's about how much water proofing I'll need.
No coating would survive on gears.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:34 pm

rando wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 pm
slipperybob wrote:
A cerakoter I spoke to ages ago said that a clear coating of some particular thickness would work wonders.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:52 am

rando wrote:
slipperybob wrote:
PTFE grease... :mrgreen:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:46 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:52 am
rando wrote:
slipperybob wrote:
Will that grease work on a baitcaster's main and pinion gears, and would it last?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:21 pm

Worth it for saltwater, but completely pointless for freshwater. In freshwater its just marketing near you "x-ship" etc.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:07 am

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:46 pm
slipperybob wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:52 am
rando wrote:
slipperybob wrote:
Will that grease work on a baitcaster's main and pinion gears, and would it last?
Of course it would.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:13 am

Most greases are PTFE fortified as a % added. Even the TefGel I have been trialling isn't pure Teflon for all intensive purposes - certainly quietened my noisy Calais DC Aluminium main gears buzz a good fraction. The Teflon is at play somewhat however the suspension / grease is so thick and high NLGI (to quote) that I feel its playing more of a role than its additive.

Ive got pure* liquid Teflon oil from when I worked at Inox (to which they made Inox MX5) and that's also a high volume of Teflon in a suspension of oil as you can't really get pure liquid Teflon per se.

Even the likes of Liquid Molly 'MOS2' is only 3% MOS2 per volume weight of the oil in the can - but by god it works... That's another discussion altogether... 😅

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:45 am

It's amazing what a little teflon will do. \:D/