"older" shimano casting reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

"older" shimano casting reels

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:45 pm

I know from all the posts here, that people are always asking about daiwa SV 103 tatula HD xp yz bla bla bla variants. Adding some new weird spring and having it super tuned by captain reel magic. All that being said, none of it will beat a curado E, chronarch E, chronarch D, CU200B, CH100SF, CU50E, CH50E. These are the best low profile casting reels ever made. Even Shimano has continued to make new models, which is the way corporations go. But these reels from years past have no match.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: "older" shimano casting reels

Post by Slazmo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:24 am

Couldn't agree more. Agricultural, no nonsense bare basic designs that would last for virtually forever with the right use and adequate during and major maintenance.

I'm doing a Antares MD and a Tranx 200 that have some major issues. Both these reels are LIKE NEW on the exterior too.

Take me back to early to mid 2000's in all respective elements of business practice, design and construction.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:32 am

curado dpv is the best reel shimano has released - ever - in that price range.

still use 2 curado e7's in my active lineup.

calais 201 is the best baitcaster (all around) that shimano has ever released.
1-2%

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:31 am

Metanium MG7 will still be my favorites of the older reels right along with that Chronarch D100

I like just spinning the spool on these with the cover side plate off.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:25 am

My old calcutta 50 had 16 years of hard use on it before I sold it and it was still as smooth as when I bought it.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 am

While i prefer the older Daiwa's, i find the newer shimanos to be superior compared to older models. Smoother, lower profile and much better braking system.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:15 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 am
While i prefer the older Daiwa's, i find the newer shimanos to be superior compared to older models. Smoother, lower profile and much better braking system.
This. I like the older Shimanos but i like my older Daiwas more.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:28 am

Agree. Still run these reels strong...Curado50E, 09Aldebaran, Conquest50, 97MetanuimXT, Calcutta100XT, CiticaE.
<")))><{

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:01 am

Still have a bunch of 51E’s, 201E’s and 51mg’s, but have been slowly selling them off for some of the newer stuff. Newer reels cast so much further and have a lot more power with Xship. I haven’t had any issues out of them yet. Own a couple new Mets, ‘13 Mets and Chronarchs on my freshwater combos, and they have all been great.

Still some good stuff around if you like the older reels and do some research. These Stile SS reels have been amazing in the salt, and just keep going. They really are an upgraded 50e, still have VBS braking but solved the issue I always had with VBS- there was some serious distance held back since you couldn’t dial the brakes down more. The Stile has finesse VBS braking and the lighter brakes gives you that added distance, and this thing will bomb a 1/4oz jerkbait. Clicking drag with carbon discs, long handle, 5.7oz weight with Aluminum frame(and with Corefit body the frame feels tiny in hand), 6 bushings can be swapped with bearings, and aluminum gears can be swapped with brass from Curado 70. What’s not to love \:D/ Just ordered another, have 5 of them now and love these reels.