New to BFS, Reel that excels at longer casts?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New to BFS, Reel that excels at longer casts?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:47 pm

thevid wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:01 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:30 pm
In those weight ranges, I think that the Zpi Nrc001-m spool is the best for distance. If you don't have a Steez or Zillion to stick it in, my 2nd choices in your price range would be the Alphas CT 70 and the SV Light Limited. All of these spools will give you appropriate line capacity for winging quarter ounce baits, with enough left should a big smallie want to take a long run in open water. Bfs spools that hold 50 or less yards of light line should be reserved for fishing really light baits after smaller fish imo.
Thank you everyone for the advice.

Hogsticker, what you touched on was my big concern. I’d love 60-70yds of line for when I’m fishing 30’+ deep on a long cast and hook into a 7lb+ spotted bass. I’ve never weighed a trick worm with a 3/32oz nail weight, but that’s about as light as I’ll go, and more often a 1/16oz or 3/32oz ned head with a 4” stick bait. Which is imagine gets up there in weight given the plastic.

With the Alphas CT 70 and the SV Light Ltd, would I need to replace the spool with the one you suggested? Would a Zillion SV TW with the spool you suggested be better than the two mentioned above? I can get a Zillion for under $200, plus the spool would put me around that $350 mark.

Thank you all so much again. I have 20 or so setups, and have always capped my reels at $200, so Want to make sure I get the right reel the first time with spending almost double.
Either reel will work. Just choose if you want an aluminum or composite reel. The Light Limited will give you more of a connected feel. The Alphas 70 will feel more smooth and fluid... Different gear materials. I also believe that the Alphas starts up a little faster, but it's also ever so slightly more braked in comparison. For me personally, I'd stick with an SV spool for easier control. I would probably disregard the Zillion due to the extra weight, as I'm assuming you're using a relatively light rod. But yes, the Zpi Nrc001-m will work with it. Another reel that works really well with this spool is a T3. I primarily fish power finesse, as in 1/8 oz plus small plastic up to 3/8 oz total weight. I own these 3 reels for that reason. I can use 6-12 lb test comfortably, don't have to worry about line capacity, and they all perform quite well.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:13 pm

thevid wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:43 pm
SSS wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:03 pm
If you want to spend as little as possible, but still get excellent performance, i would suggest a pixy or an alphas 103 frame with a ray's studio bfs spool. Both of these reels can be had under $100.
How does the drag smoothness or capability differ with this option over some of the $300-$400 options? My other big concern is a smooth and good drag, given I catch quite a few spotted bass in the 5-7lb range, and a chance at even larger, I need a good drag. Thank you for your input!
The stock drag is garbage (especially in the silver, orange, red and yellow pixy). But that's not an issue. You can get carbontex washers for under $10. For the 4 mentioned pixy, you need to buy the set that includes the metal washers as well. Still under $20 and your drag will be as smooth as it can be. https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/dragwashers.html

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:19 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:53 pm
SSS wrote:
If you want to spend as little as possible, but still get excellent performance, i would suggest a pixy or an alphas 103 frame with a ray's studio bfs spool. Both of these reels can be had under $100.
I love my 3 Airy Red's, but he'll be limited with line capacity at the end of a long cast with the Ray's spool, especially if he's bombing a Ned. I think the stock spool would handle Ned's fine, but then you have to upgrade the drag, probably the gears, then you'll want a clicking drag star which means a new driveshaft, and before you know it, you've spent more on that than a stock Alphas CT. It'll definitely be cool and perform well, but none of that is free :laugh1:

Also, I checked and the Ray's inductor fits both the Alphas CT and the SV Light.
The drag, yea, absolutely is needed. The clicking drag is not needed at all, and the clicking star drag look kinda bad on on a pixy (too much vertical gap between the star drag and the frame). If capacity is needed, the px68 finesse special spool is awesome for that, but its not cheap.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:52 am

thevid wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:40 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:55 pm
thevid wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:32 pm
What nail weight and worn were you throwing on that Neko rig ? I really think 1/8oz total (weight and worm) will be about as light as I go but maybe slightly lighter.

Here’s my other concern, I see you mentioned braid. I’ll have to check their Fluoro ratings, I do prefer straight fluoro, looking at using 6-7lb straight fluoro if I can get enough line on there.

I guess my question to you would be, if you only could have one of those two reels that you got, to throw both of those baits, which would you lean towards?

Thank you again!
It was a 3 gram nail weight with a Daiwa Neko worm. I didn't go super light with it because of the nearly constant wind out here. I don't think I'd throw anything lighter than 1.5 grams and the worm on a baitcaster, my thumb just isn't that good.

Out of the two, I'd probably go with the Alphas because you'll have more line capacity if you're dead set on running straight fluoro. Plus, you have shallower spool options (Daiwa, Ray's, KTF) should you decide you want to go the braid and leader route.
I truly appreciate all of your help. Is there any way to replace the gear on that reel? I think that’s my only real Hangup, 27 IPT just seems so slow. I fish almost all 33-37 IPT reels, so bit nervous with that. Love the price and the sound of the Alphas CT SV, literally my only reservation.
Nope, that's as fast as it gets. The 7.2 gears are the fastest that will fit the frame.

Edit to add: the IPT on the SV Light is 32 of you get the 8.1 gear ratio.

Hogsticker2 might be on to something with the T3 recommendation, especially if high IPT is a goal. You can probably find a used 8.6 T3 for pretty cheap and then get an M spool for it. Or even find a cheap SV105 spool and put the Ray's inductor and HLC spring on it before you drop a bunch on the M.
Last edited by adam lancia on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:54 am

SSS wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:19 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:53 pm
SSS wrote:
I love my 3 Airy Red's, but he'll be limited with line capacity at the end of a long cast with the Ray's spool, especially if he's bombing a Ned. I think the stock spool would handle Ned's fine, but then you have to upgrade the drag, probably the gears, then you'll want a clicking drag star which means a new driveshaft, and before you know it, you've spent more on that than a stock Alphas CT. It'll definitely be cool and perform well, but none of that is free :laugh1:

Also, I checked and the Ray's inductor fits both the Alphas CT and the SV Light.
The drag, yea, absolutely is needed. The clicking drag is not needed at all, and the clicking star drag look kinda bad on on a pixy (too much vertical gap between the star drag and the frame). If capacity is needed, the px68 finesse special spool is awesome for that, but its not cheap.
Not needed, but we want is a strong motivator too. Besides, I figured if he was giving us that price range, he was probably looking at a reel with more feature like that than not.

thevid
Angler
Angler

Post by thevid » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

I cannot thank you all enough, I think I’ve gained enough information from you all, to say that I believe the best choice for my situation is the SV Light Ltd as it will hold enough line, have a good drag, still cast light weights, and best of all, has a higher IPT. I may also snag a PX68 at some point for when I throw lighter cranks, and don’t need the long casts. Might be kinda fun.

Any recommendations on sites to get the best deal on a SV Light Ltd 8.1L?

Thank you all again, I’m still open to suggestions if anyone thinks this isn’t the best reel for my situation as well.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:37 pm

thevid wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm
I cannot thank you all enough, I think I’ve gained enough information from you all, to say that I believe the best choice for my situation is the SV Light Ltd as it will hold enough line, have a good drag, still cast light weights, and best of all, has a higher IPT. I may also snag a PX68 at some point for when I throw lighter cranks, and don’t need the long casts. Might be kinda fun.

Any recommendations on sites to get the best deal on a SV Light Ltd 8.1L?

Thank you all again, I’m still open to suggestions if anyone thinks this isn’t the best reel for my situation as well.
Japan Angler (jpangler.com)
Japan Lure Shop
I placed a recent order with JLS on a Thursday, received the package the following Tuesday. Only shipping FedEx atm, so cost is a little more. Probably run ya 30 bucks. I get orders from them faster than Tackle warehouse.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:48 am

Good deal! You'll enjoy that reel immensely.