Sub $100 Ultralight Spinning Reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Sub $100 Ultralight Spinning Reel?

Post by ultralight » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:59 pm

I realize that with the criteria of sub $100, I probably already lost all credibility in this forum populated with posts on uber $$$ JDM reels.... :lol:

However, I'll try anyways to presume on this forum's kindness.

A buddy of mine is looking for a couple of sub $100 ultralight size 1000 spinning reels. He will be using it primarily for minijigs chasing trout with 2-4 lbs test although he may occasionally use it with 6 lbs test max for other species. He would not mind a shallow spool and as lightweight as possible though shallow spools seem to be the purview of JDM reels far above his price range.

One of his criteria is that it be durable so that may knock out any of the lightweight units...

I've not kept up with the fishing reel scene so I'm at a loss as to what to suggest.

Doing a quick search on Amazon, I see the Cadence CS8, Daiwa Fuego LT, Shimano Sedona...

He can order from the orient if there's a compelling model.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to what reel he should consider.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sub $100 Ultralight Spinning Reel?

Post by Kurt L » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:00 pm

This is a no brainer, the Fuego LT. Daiwa killed it at the sub $100. price point, do a little shopping and you can find them for $80.00 or so. I bought a 3000 to use as a workhorse reel and was blown away. I used it side by side with my Certate 3000 CXH LT and several times I looked down to verify which reel I was using! I had some friends fishing with me using my gear one day and I could hear them whisper "did you try this reel!" they were just using one of my Stradic 2500's!
My Fuego 3000 felt more refined than my new JDM Ballistic at 1/3 the price (i'm somewhat disappointed with the JDM Ballistic), until I managed to wreck the Fuego's gears... I accidentally submerged it briefly and water made it in the gearbox while the river had thousands of Pink Salmon it and that was all it took to end that butter smooth retrieve (It will get new gears this winter). to do it over again I would take two Fuegos and some change in my pocket over the Ballistic. A Fuego 1000 or 2500 should last a very long time trout fishing, mine went two summers in Alaska and I can't even count how many Salmon my 3000 put on the bank without one issue that's saying a lot.

Kurt

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:57 am

I do like the Fuego LT for the $. We got 4 of the largest ones for saltwater.

Wondering if anyone here tried the Cadence CS8. Magnesium body, size 1000 is 6.2 oz etc.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:54 am

Best value reels come from Aliexpress. Tsurinoya makes some nice reels, a Kingfisher or a Whirlwing could work nicely and well within the budget. Big brands usually do not perform very well in the budget segment, you go there for their high-end stuff.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:21 pm

Daiwa SS700 Tournament. Basic bare bones reel that does everything a spinner needs to do and will literally last decades with minimal care. In continuous production unchanged since the late 1980's ... very few reels by any manufacturer can claim that. Obviously Daiwa's doing something right to keep cranking these things out for over 30 years.

Everything about it is geared toward function ... from the long shallow tapered spool which handles all types of line beautifully and casts light baits much further than other reels in it's size class to the legendary butter smooth multi disc drag plus the fact it's built like a tank.

Yeah, she's ugly but "she can cook" :lol:

There's been many discussions on this forum about these reels, just search the various forums including the UL forum to read everything you'd want to know.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Thanks.

Indeed that SS700 is legendary. The only thing I have against it is the weight. 7 ounces. For all day minijigs etc where one is manipulating the lure all day, I prefer lighter weight. But that is definitely a viable option and should last just about 'forever'.

Do you find that it can outcast current more modern Daiwa 1000 sized reels?

Thanks for the suggestion.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:38 pm

ultralight wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:26 pm
Thanks.

Indeed that SS700 is legendary. The only thing I have against it is the weight. 7 ounces. For all day minijigs etc where one is manipulating the lure all day, I prefer lighter weight. But that is definitely a viable option and should last just about 'forever'.

Do you find that it can outcast current more modern Daiwa 1000 sized reels?

Thanks for the suggestion.
The right rod choice can favorably influence the weight concern as a well balanced rig can feel virtually weightless. As for the casting question I don't own a 1000 sized reel so I don't have anything to offer.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:11 pm

The SS series are truly great reels, but they are a 30 year old design, the rotors aren't balanced, the inches per turn is low, and they are not very smooth. I caught my PB steelhead on my 700, and PB wild Rainbow on my 1300. I still use them every couple years but i'm surprised how crude they are compared to current reels everytime I use them. I sure put a lot of miles on those two!
Both of them are on their second set of gears and still going.

Kurt

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:20 pm

Thanks for all the comments and observations. Keep them coming...if there are any new suggestions or insights. :D

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:31 am

For a long time I always felt that Pfleuger reels had the most performance for the $$$ for what one buys at a reel around $50 or so. Even their cheap version of Shakespeare reels offered a lot for what one pays for. Heavy clunky off balance but keeps on working.

The one thing I like about Shimano spinning reels is that they often use the largest of line rollers. In essence it prevents a lesser pinch point on the line. By chance I also found Shimano reels far easier to disassemble and reassemble for personal service. Something about them that makes them taking apart easy and sensible.

Most of all, back around 20 some years ago, when reels were offering spare spools, well it was the Shimano and Pfleuger/Shakespeare that offered the spare spool in the package. It's not such a big sell point to me anymore.

Personally I always thought Shimano's were overpriced, but that's why I buy the clearance models and they have proven their merits for reliability through the years.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:15 am

I can vouch for the Pfluegers as well as I fished them almost exclusively for years. Even the Trion, which was (is ?) the bottom of their lineup was a solid little feel that performed well beyond it’s price point. The one lemon I got from them was a President that had a nasty rotor wobble right out of the box. I had gotten it from TW and immediately sent it back and bought my first SS Daiwa. After that I never looked back but I was impressed with the Pfluegers I had, mostly the Supremes.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:42 am

Yeah, while I've been using Daiwa Luvias 1003s of the 2007 vintage, my family has been using the Pflueger Patriarchs. Zero failures. Do like them though the Daiwa spools are better, and they should be given that they are in a higher $ category.

kaiser
Angler
Angler

Post by kaiser » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:32 pm

I bought a Daiwa Legalis LT 2020 in the 1000 size last year and it's incredible to the price point. Great line lay and it's pretty light at 6.3oz.