Struggling on Which Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Struggling on Which Reel

Post by brownhl » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:26 am

Don't know whether to wait on the Curado 70 MGL, or go for a Scorpion 19 150 MGL. Cal gave the Scorpion a pretty good evaluation. I think it is a touch bigger than the 70 MGL.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Struggling on Which Reel

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:46 am

You are gonna hold more line on the Scorpion than you are the Curado. If you are using thin lines, and light baits...Curado. Otherwise, go for the Scorpion.
<")))><{

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:55 am

Thanks again.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:16 am

I typically run 50-70 sized reels on rods up to a 3 power. The Curado 70 easily holds more than enough line (of 30 or even 40lbs braid) to bomb-cast regular t-rigs, for example. 4+ power rods typically get the 150-size treatment. The Scorpion would scare me a bit on lighter rods not just because of its size, but the weight. I don't mind running a 7.8oz reel on heavy gear (deep cranking, 6 inch glidebaits etc.), but worming all day is much more fun with a smaller/lighter reel.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:28 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:16 am
The Scorpion would scare me a bit on lighter rods not just because of its size, but the weight. I don't mind running a 7.8oz reel on heavy gear (deep cranking, 6 inch glidebaits etc.), but worming all day is much more fun with a smaller/lighter reel.
Which is what took me so long to fish it enough to write it up. Once I got out of a "normal" sized lures frame of mind and switched over to bigger baits, the Scorp MGL made a lot more sense.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"