Certate LT?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Certate LT?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:07 pm

Hello, wondering what parts of the reel contain magnetic oil?
Specifically the line roller and how long this oil seems to last?

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Re: Certate LT?

Post by RustyHook » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:06 pm

At the pinion..

Depending on use and how you rinse, frequency of use, 1-2 yrs. There no one answer as its like any lubes, based on use.. But the line roller I check and service the most, in general on all reels.

The bottles while $$ last a long time; many reels. I check mine every season and if any doubt I clean and relube.. Really its function is sealant with lubricant carrier.. So I guess re-seal is a more accurate description as the rest of the bearing is sealed depending on model.

That's nice reel; sort of a mix of Saltiga and Exist. I love the MQ incorporated design allowing for a large main gear.. Down side is making a tool to open it or spend the $$ for the official Daiwa tool.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks, I thought the same about the question I asked afterwards "how long the oil lasted" depends on use.

I'm having a hard time actually finding the correct oil, I see a lot out there but not sure what is the correct oil to
choose.

I have found a few tools to remove the side plate but damn they are expensive....

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:49 pm

RustyHook wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:06 pm
But the line roller I check and service the most, in general on all reels.

The bottles while $$ last a long time; many reels.
You're talking about magseal oil? How are you applying it to the line roller bearing?

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:39 pm

The Certate LT's can be lubed really easy without the tool, unlike the other MQ reels (Exist & Luvias) the rear cover comes of with two easy to access Torx head screws and you can add grease the the gears and oscillation gear and cam without having to disassemble the reel, it only takes a few minutes \:D/. My Certate LT's have been amazing reels so far and are still as butter smooth and tight as they were out of the box after a couple of years of Salmon fishing. FWIW, Daiwa rates the Certate LT as there strongest non Saltwater exclusive reel.

Kurt

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:44 pm

Kurt L wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:39 pm
The Certate LT's can be lubed really easy without the tool, unlike the other MQ reels (Exist & Luvias) the rear cover comes of with two easy to access Torx head screws and you can add grease the the gears and oscillation gear and cam without having to disassemble the reel, it only takes a few minutes \:D/. My Certate LT's have been amazing reels so far and are still as butter smooth and tight as they were out of the box after a couple of years of Salmon fishing. FWIW, Daiwa rates the Certate LT as there strongest non Saltwater exclusive reel.

Kurt
One of the reasons I purchased the Certate LT was because accessing the gears through the bottom is simple :)

I'm just curious about the magnetic oil, even thought about just removing it once its time since I never
dunk my reels and I'm only fishing freshwater.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:34 pm

Ok

I do not know of a reason why you couldn't do that.. A drop of normal oil for basic lubrication purposes at most then.. It is a great reel and one on my list to get.. large main gear in a very nice, fairly light, package.. Very smooth.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:13 pm

I'm very impressed with mine and I am totally OCD about my tackle, and when the time comes for the bearings to be serviced I will probably get clean them and lube them with TSI-321 ;-)

Kurt

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:48 pm

Kurt L wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:13 pm
I'm very impressed with mine and I am totally OCD about my tackle, and when the time comes for the bearings to be serviced I will probably get clean them and lube them with TSI-321 ;-)

Kurt
But how you gonna open it up :-k

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:50 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:48 pm
Kurt L wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:13 pm

Kurt
But how you gonna open it up :-k
Considering how clean the grease is inside my reels that tells me there is very little gear wear happening so i'm good with adding grease if needed through the back cover, The only thing I need the tool for is removing the gear cover, I can access everything else including the bearings without having to do a complete teardown, It should be a while before that's needed.

Kurt

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:01 pm

I've used my certate 2004 (year 13) extensively for years in fresh water without the line roller and main shaft mag seal needing any type of servicing. Reel has been smooth as butter since day one and it seems to get better the more i use it.

As soon as it needs servicing, when i hear any type of noise or any grinding, personally since the reel has been such a slayer of fish imma send it in to Daiwa for some TLC. How much can it be?

IIRC the magnetic lube needs to be done by them, dunno if its messy, toxic or Daiwa doesn't want people fiddling with it since they opted with security screws.

I would imagine if anybody would happen to booger anything up internally the cost of repair would be more...

just my .02 YMMV
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

LMSMBassaddict
Angler
Angler

Post by LMSMBassaddict » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:37 pm

BASSLAYER wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:01 pm
I've used my certate 2004 (year 13) extensively for years in fresh water without the line roller and main shaft mag seal needing any type of servicing. Reel has been smooth as butter since day one and it seems to get better the more i use it.

As soon as it needs servicing, when i hear any type of noise or any grinding, personally since the reel has been such a slayer of fish imma send it in to Daiwa for some TLC. How much can it be?

IIRC the magnetic lube needs to be done by them, dunno if its messy, toxic or Daiwa doesn't want people fiddling with it since they opted with security screws.

I would imagine if anybody would happen to booger anything up internally the cost of repair would be more...

just my .02 YMMV
I would definitely suggest servicing your reel before you get any noise or grinding. So many people wait until they feel the reel get gritty. If your doing any reeling while you feel anything noticeable your already starting to add unnecessary wear and tear.

Have a wonderful day y'all