Are Shimano DC Reels Appropriate for Tai Rubber Discipline?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Mdmel
Angler
Angler

Are Shimano DC Reels Appropriate for Tai Rubber Discipline?

Post by Mdmel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:19 am

A friend of mine requested me to ask whether he can do tai rubber with shimano DC reels?

Anyone has offshore experience with shimano dc reels for tai rubber fishing?

He has calcutta conquest DC 200HG in his mind .

At most he'd use 150gr ..

does the DC brake system interfere during free fall? ( i havent felt any interference on my exsence dc offshore jigging but at most i have used 60gr jig )

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Are Shimano DC Reels Appropriate for Tai Rubber Discipline?

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:42 am

The DC only functions during the cast. This is purely based on spool speed (RPM). Typically rockfish live deeper but it depends on the fishery. In some places they fish shallow, others like here in Southern California we fish 300+ feet. The Japanese snapper (Tai) are fished in shallower water for the most part. The reels just may not hold enough line depending on the depth you are targeting.

Considering the jigs are heavy and easy to cast, I do not see the need to use a DC reel for them. Also the fishing of the jigs is typically a slow operation. There is no need to reel them quickly.

Mdmel
Angler
Angler

Re: Are Shimano DC Reels Appropriate for Tai Rubber Discipline?

Post by Mdmel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:44 am

bantam1 ty for the reply.