BFS for Crappie?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

BFS for Crappie?

Post by filthyPhil » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 pm

Bass are getting lock jaw but the crappie are going strong. Have never fished exclusively for them and know most people use spinning gear. I tried using a spinning combo but after twenty years of using a baitcaster it was a you know what show. Just wondering if anyone has had success with a BFS setup or if I should just get out the spinning combo and practice.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BFS for Crappie?

Post by tincanary » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:14 am

I fish perch and crappie on BFS gear, works great. 1.5" Charlie Brewer slider grubs on a 1/16 head are deadly as are smaller Rapala Countdowns and micro spoons. I've been using an Alphas CT SV outfitted with a RCS SV700S spool, 8lb J-Braid, and a Kuying Teton 6'6" L. It makes for a great panfish combo.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:07 pm

Thanks, I'll look into that reel.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:21 pm

My last crappie...while Largemouth fishing in Florida...was caught on a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait and MHF casting rod. Biggest crappie I've ever seen. :big grin:

Back when I fished for them, small Beetlespins and Roostertails worked very well. Used spinning gear in those days. I see no reason why you can't use a baitcast combo. I've got several casting rods and reels that should work. All I need is more practice casting less than 3/16 oz. :lol:

Be sure to let us know how you make out. A few pictures would be nice too.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:13 pm

It depends,
If I just wanna show off, I’ll take out one of my UL baitcaster but if I’m in serious business, UL spinning all the way.
I also started off with baitcaster when first try to fish for crappie, just like everyone else’s excuse of hating spinning, line twisted and no accuracy. I built up to about 5 UL baitcaster setups. Last year I forced myself to use more spinning and you know what it is much more fun, and a lot easier once you get to know spinning and learn how to deal with those line twisted. I now also have about 4-5 spinning setup for crappie and bluegill.
I have tried a few type of reel for this kind of job (1/32-1/16oz head with 2” plastic). Centrifugal from shimano, Linear Mag brake from Abu and Air magforce from Daiwa. I like Daiwa the best, easier to control even in windy situation. The rod is also important, you will need some type of UL rod that rated for trout not bass.
There are plenty of cheap Chinese BFS reels that you can try, but if start it right you don’t need to upgrade later. Alphas Air is a good start package come with everything you need just find the rod. Alphas all variants with Ray’s shallow spool is also cheap alternative.
My favorite UL baitcaster, Pixy with shallow spool.
Attachments
670BDD3B-3E84-445D-A3AC-B330917CAAF4.jpeg
670BDD3B-3E84-445D-A3AC-B330917CAAF4.jpeg (111.89 KiB) Viewed 2487 times

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:40 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:21 pm
My last crappie...while Largemouth fishing in Florida...was caught on a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait and MHF casting rod. Biggest crappie I've ever seen. :big grin:

Back when I fished for them, small Beetlespins and Roostertails worked very well. Used spinning gear in those days. I see no reason why you can't use a baitcast combo. I've got several casting rods and reels that should work. All I need is more practice casting less than 3/16 oz. :lol:

Be sure to let us know how you make out. A few pictures would be nice too.
Yeah I caught a nice one the other day with a live target bait ball. I've got a few reels that I'm sure could handle light weight panfish lures just curious if any of the BFS baitcasters would be worth the investment.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:41 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:13 pm
It depends,
If I just wanna show off, I’ll take out one of my UL baitcaster but if I’m in serious business, UL spinning all the way.
I also started off with baitcaster when first try to fish for crappie, just like everyone else’s excuse of hating spinning, line twisted and no accuracy. I built up to about 5 UL baitcaster setups. Last year I forced myself to use more spinning and you know what it is much more fun, and a lot easier once you get to know spinning and learn how to deal with those line twisted. I now also have about 4-5 spinning setup for crappie and bluegill.
I have tried a few type of reel for this kind of job (1/32-1/16oz head with 2” plastic). Centrifugal from shimano, Linear Mag brake from Abu and Air magforce from Daiwa. I like Daiwa the best, easier to control even in windy situation. The rod is also important, you will need some type of UL rod that rated for trout not bass.
There are plenty of cheap Chinese BFS reels that you can try, but if start it right you don’t need to upgrade later. Alphas Air is a good start package come with everything you need just find the rod. Alphas all variants with Ray’s shallow spool is also cheap alternative.
My favorite UL baitcaster, Pixy with shallow spool.
Nice, always wanted a Pixy.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Going to try to use my Met 20 for this winter, haven't went below 1/8 oz yet but been tearing them up. The BFS reels seem like to much of a rabbit hole for me at the moment.