Alphas sv tw with some line capacity

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas sv tw with some line capacity

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:03 am

I just want to play with the new platform and do some spool swapping once the reels become cheap. I'm thinking a 31mm Airy Red spool in one to maybe replace my Silver Mica with the same spool. Maybe swap in the new Alphas 32mm SV spool into my 33mm Japan Alphas. Worst case scenario and the platform is junk due to gear buzz not made in Japan ect then you can still use a 16 Japan 32mm Alphas Air and use the new Alphas 32mm spools if they make a must have spool. They really need to knock it off with the SV spools and put out some diatance tuned spools like the used to. I'll have to try some of my 33mm spools in my 34mm reels to see if that 1mm gap is liveable. I would really like to see what a new gen Alphas with Airy Red spool can do. That is a fast and fun anti-SV spool.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Not made in Japan??? Is the ct made in Japan?

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:29 pm

Ct is made in Japan.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:03 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:52 pm
Not made in Japan??? Is the ct made in Japan?
Not the new one but the CT is. Not all instances of new Daiwa platforms have been bad though. The wonderful Japan TD Zillion was replaced with some weird Thailand Tatula TWS Zillion thing and a proven downgrade from TD Zillion in all but weight, ratio and spools. On the other hand the new gen TWS Steez has been an improvement all around with the availability of grass gears of the old gen Steez being the one obvious advantage. The new Alphas is a new from scratch design. I have high hopes for it but after the twing Zillions I have cooled my optimism on newer Daiwas. They no longer get the benefit of the doubt and must prove themselves if a new platform. Reels like the Alphas CT 70 don't count because they are in fact an old and proven platform.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm

rando wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:39 am
I will hold off till I see some honest reviews.
Ct has been such a great performing reel for me that it is hard to imagine this new twing version beating it.
I don't think it's a matter of besting it. It should perform similarly. The CT may take the edge in ease of casting light baits, but both should be evenly versatile for the most part. It's really nice to see Daiwa offering 2 similar reels, one with the T Wing, and one without it. Ultimately the spool will determine which is better for any particular bait / technique. The CT seems to like a relatively flat cast best from my experience. I want one to see which has less braking force, which has a quicker spool... Plus I can toss in some different 32mm spools to play around with. Call me crazy, but this is the most exciting new offering to come from Daiwa since the SV103. I'm not a "true" bfs guy though. Alphas has always been my favorite platform, so that's a bonus.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:22 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm
rando wrote:
Ct has been such a great performing reel for me that it is hard to imagine this new twing version beating it.
I don't think it's a matter of besting it. It should perform similarly. The CT may take the edge in ease of casting light baits, but both should be evenly versatile for the most part. It's really nice to see Daiwa offering 2 similar reels, one with the T Wing, and one without it. Ultimately the spool will determine which is better for any particular bait / technique. The CT seems to like a relatively flat cast best from my experience. I want one to see which has less braking force, which has a quicker spool... Plus I can toss in some different 32mm spools to play around with. Call me crazy, but this is the most exciting new offering to come from Daiwa since the SV103. I'm not a "true" bfs guy though. Alphas has always been my favorite platform, so that's a bonus.
As long as the spool width is the same as current 32mm spools. It might be narrower like the CT, which would stink.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:40 am

New Impression video up on YouTube

Too bad I don’t understand Japanese

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:52 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm
rando wrote:
I'm with you, Mark; the Alphas is still my all-time favorite platform.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:56 am

I wonder if the T-wing will track back and forth when drag/line is being pulled... like the other alphas with a regular line guide do...

Fjordblue
Angler
Angler

Post by Fjordblue » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:39 pm

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:11 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:56 am
I wonder if the T-wing will track back and forth when drag/line is being pulled... like the other alphas with a regular line guide do...
Excellent question

Fjordblue
Angler
Angler

Post by Fjordblue » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 am

Digitaka has it listed for 272 usd , 230 euro.(no stock yet)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:18 am

In Daiwa site is said that new sv tw Alphas spool is 32 mm and there is picture of 'drilled' spool, which might be SS Air's 32 mm spool:

(This doesn't necessarily mean that Old 32 mm spools will fit.)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:18 am
In Daiwa site is said that new sv tw Alphas spool is 32 mm and there is picture of 'drilled' spool, which might be SS Air's 32 mm spool:

(This doesn't necessarily mean that Old 32 mm spools will fit.)
Would be sweet if they did. Opens possibilities with the 32mm AIR reels and this new Alphas.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:44 am

Anybody buy one yet?