Kistler Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Kistler Reels

Post by Drakestar » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:30 am

Looks like Kistler is introducing a couple of reel models in early 2021. Anybody know which factory is making them? From the specs and looks they feel like a run-of-the-mill Doyo (or similar) reel, and they do have a "Made In Korea" stamp on them.

https://kistlerrods.com/search?q=reel

Basseditor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Kistler Reels

Post by Basseditor » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:33 pm

Trey said they are coming from Korea, but I don't know the exact factory. I ordered some, but they won't arrive until Feb or so. I got some of each Series coming.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:46 pm

When i see a $250 price tag on a reel and its not from Megabass, Daiwa or Shimano, i :roll:

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Got an email about these today. To me they look a lot like the ZPI reels :-k

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:18 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:46 pm
When i see a $250 price tag on a reel and its not from Megabass, Daiwa or Shimano, i :roll:
Why?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:09 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:06 pm
Got an email about these today. To me they look a lot like the ZPI reels :-k
Yup; just a different name glued into that little slot on the non-handle side. I suppose anyone with sufficient capital to sign a contract that guarantees purchase of a %#^-load of them and the inclination to do so could release that reel. I wonder how much they pay per unit during the order. Any guesses? I suppose it’s a risk because sales are unpredictable and you might be stuck with a lot of units for a while. I don’t know...$22.40 per unit?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:23 pm

rando wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:18 pm
SSS wrote:
Why?
Because at that price point, no one can make a superior (or even comparable) product.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:22 pm

rando wrote:
SSS wrote:
Why?
Because $250 is expensive, and for that amount, you can get yourself a reel from a company that is experienced in making their own fishing reels for decades. This doesn't just apply to Kistler, but the likes of 13fishing, quantum, etc. Difference is, most of the reels from the other brands are not in the $250 range, but this one is. For that amount of money, you can easily get yourself a 2016 Met MGL on ebay. In my opinion, you gotta be insane to burn this amount of money on some Korean made reel instead of a flawless built Meta mgl or any other Japan made daiwa/shimano.

Kistler is doing what ZPI did a few years back. Releasing a fishing reel with their name on it does not mean its worth anyone's time.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 pm

rando wrote:

Why?
Because pretentiousness, sanctimony, and anecdotal dogma are ubiquitous throughout the largemouth bass fishing reel community.

For a perfect example, see
SSS wrote:
...flawless Met MGL...
And I’m the owner of 5 Metanium 2020 models. And reading statements like this make me cringe.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 pm

Yep, there seems to be a widespread opinion that koreans cant make a good high end reel.
Can someone point to specifics in the build of korean reels that make theme inferior, because the only argument I keep hearing everywhere is “because they are not shimano or daiwa?”

Dont get me wrong, all my reels are daiwas and shimanos, but Korean products seem to be taking a lot of crap and I am interested why, especially considering that abus are well regarded even in Japan.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:49 pm

rando wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 pm
Yep, there seems to be a widespread opinion that koreans cant make a good high end reel.
Can someone point to specifics in the build of korean reels that make theme inferior, because the only argument I keep hearing everywhere is “because they are not shimano or daiwa?”

Dont get me wrong, all my reels are daiwas and shimanos, but Korean products seem to be taking a lot of crap and I am interested why, especially considering that abus are well regarded even in Japan.
I think the general opinion is that Korean-made reels (at least from mass-producing factories like Doyo) have terrible tolerances. Which I don't disagree with, there usually is give in the main gear and in the knobs; you can always lift them/wiggle them around a bit. The frame often feels a bit loose to me, as well (even when it isn't). Both are even true for the ABU MGXtreme, priced at $500.

But with that said, I still run several Doyo reels, and I really like them! I service all my reels, anyway (most people here probably do), and it's easy to add washers to correct for looseness. And then... the Revo MGXtreme is freaking awesome in its form factor, weight and casting distance. I usually crank on a couple of Pflueger Patriarch XTs (which are smooth as air with ZPI oil and grease). I got a Revo Premier as my main jigging reel earlier this year, and not only does it look killer on a Destroyer, it also performs very well. I also run a modified (higher gear ratio and bigger handles) Patriarch XT as my frog reel, and it works flawlessly.

So I'd challenge the assertion that Daiwa or Shimano make better reels, especially at the same price point. Not worse, either, but having bought a $230 Curado MGL 70 just a few weeks ago as a reminder: it a great reel, but while I prefer it for some applications (particularly lighter baits and slow-moving baits) there are other applications that I still prefer my Patriarchs for (which are lighter and smoother than the Curado).

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:15 am

rando wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 pm

At least Abu still designs their own reels. They just can’t afford to mass produce them.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 am

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 pm
rando wrote:

Why?
Because pretentiousness, sanctimony, and anecdotal dogma are ubiquitous throughout the largemouth bass fishing reel community.

SSS wrote:
...flawless Met MGL...
And I’m the owner of 5 Metanium 2020 models. And reading statements like this make me cringe.
Sounds like you should buy 5 of these Kistler reels. Should be no drop off compared to the 2020 Met.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:58 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 am

Sounds like you should buy 5 of these Kistler reels.
Example #2.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:11 am

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 pm
rando wrote:

Why?

SSS wrote:
...flawless Met MGL...
What's so cringy about it?