Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:11 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:44 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:52 am
I know this board isn't always a fan of other gear testers but reel test on YT just posted his results from casting distances of the Zillion vs 20 Met.

I'd say his results are pretty much exactly what I was seeing. Light baits the Met just soars beyond anything I could get out of the Zillion. The Met just effortlessly gets 15-20 more feet. As the weight goes up, it gets much closer, if not dead even.
That specific tester threatened me over a mild comment I made, I do watch his stuff, but he seems VERY biased. I know 14ft is not a big deal when you spend all day on the water and ease of use and versatility comes in to play. He's always talking about "triggered fanboys" and all it takes it one religious comment and he threatens to block people. Again, very informative and good channel, just some things there are over blown. I mean we know by now if you have ANY education that centrifugal brakes can cast further and magnetics offer more control and ease of use. That is literally EVER video, Daiwa sucks cause Shimano casts a few feet more, that is the entire channel for the most part.
It's Bootytrain. He's a former member and huge Shimano fan boy. He used to get triggered all the time on here an BR so he created his own YT channel. He uses some of his own reels like his engetsu and claims a subscriber sent it to him. He does do budget BFS stuff and aliexpress parts which is good content. I enjoy that.
Interesting. Thx for the heads up.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:18 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by BassFreak » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:53 pm

Sorry if this info is buried in the first 22 pages. Can someone confirm the spool size and if it fits/swaps any other daiwa platforms?
Thanks TT!

SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:39 am

BassFreak wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:53 pm
Sorry if this info is buried in the first 22 pages. Can someone confirm the spool size and if it fits/swaps any other daiwa platforms?
Thanks TT!
34mm. Swaps with the steez, tdz and everything that has the 34mm spools.

anteman
Angler
Angler
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:06 am

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by anteman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:48 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 pm
Interesting. Thx for the heads up.
Yes TRT at YT has some good entries but it's too focused on distance and the tone in the comments section is often very dividing not including at all. Actually like the entire USA of late years.. :(
That seems contradictory when it's said there at TRT that the meek shall inherit earth and other entries of that kind. There is nothing meek about most comments at The Reel Test...

I'm sure I'll like my new Zillion anyway :) but TRT and some posts here have made me wanting to at least try the new Metanium...

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:10 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:51 am
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:58 am
CFDoc wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:07 pm
Yes everything I’ve tried so far has been 12, 15, and 20 lb tatsu. Will try braid next. I would still be very surprised if the zillion could match the Met on the lighter end of the spectrum.

I had a good call with Dan Isaac the other day about getting the most out of my Mets. He had a good explanation of what happens when the line thickness gets big and ‘chokes’ the conical shaped line guide.
I have a feeling the Met's conical guide being unnecessarily close to the spool is the biggest cause of that.

I bet ~50% of the TWing's benefit is due to it being relatively far away from the spool during casts.
I have the new zillion and the newest met. I have KTF aftermarket spools for both (and a lot of other spools for the zillion).
I like both out of the box but I enjoy the zillion most. I find that the zillion more than matches the met on lighter end of the spectrum. The met does ok with light lures, but not great - in my hands at least.
I love shimanos baitcast design and looks but I am getting tired of shimanos differing spool sizes and braking systems.
Line guide design differences are of little importance to me.
How do you like the ktf spools in the new zillion compared to the sv boost spool?

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:18 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by BassFreak » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:14 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:39 am
BassFreak wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:53 pm
Sorry if this info is buried in the first 22 pages. Can someone confirm the spool size and if it fits/swaps any other daiwa platforms?
Thanks TT!
34mm. Swaps with the steez, tdz and everything that has the 34mm spools.
Thank you!

User avatar
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: North GA

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by Cracker » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:42 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:11 am
It's Bootytrain. He's a former member and huge Shimano fan boy. He used to get triggered all the time on here an BR so he created his own YT channel. He uses some of his own reels like his engetsu and claims a subscriber sent it to him. He does do budget BFS stuff and aliexpress parts which is good content. I enjoy that.

Bootytrain?! If you are not kidding, the guys was a die hard Shimano fan period.
Now it kinda makes sense he smashes Daiwa in his tests, and Shimano is always the winner.

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11943
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by Cal » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:52 am

Had a chance to fish the new Zillion for the first time this past weekend... all I can say is =D> =D> =D> =D>
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:10 am

Cracker wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:42 am
LowRange wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:11 am
It's Bootytrain. He's a former member and huge Shimano fan boy. He used to get triggered all the time on here an BR so he created his own YT channel. He uses some of his own reels like his engetsu and claims a subscriber sent it to him. He does do budget BFS stuff and aliexpress parts which is good content. I enjoy that.

Bootytrain?! If you are not kidding, the guys was a die hard Shimano fan period.
Now it kinda makes sense he smashes Daiwa in his tests, and Shimano is always the winner.
I recongnise his fishing spots from pics he used to post here. I also know some of his reels. He also had his TT and BR accounts banned when started the channel. He was a huge Shimano fanboy but I liked him. If he could get past the fanboy stuff he could have a great channel even if it is "how far does this reel cast" channel. Things like filling an Alphas Air halfway with line and comparing casting to an alde BFS full of line. That'spursefullly disingenuous testing done to make one reel a winner in a certain test. Also calling Magforce Z "parlor tricks" is not objective in the least. I have my less preferred braking systems but I don't call them smoke and mirrors.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:42 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:10 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:51 am
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:58 am
CFDoc wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:07 pm
Yes everything I’ve tried so far has been 12, 15, and 20 lb tatsu. Will try braid next. I would still be very surprised if the zillion could match the Met on the lighter end of the spectrum.

I had a good call with Dan Isaac the other day about getting the most out of my Mets. He had a good explanation of what happens when the line thickness gets big and ‘chokes’ the conical shaped line guide.
I have a feeling the Met's conical guide being unnecessarily close to the spool is the biggest cause of that.

I bet ~50% of the TWing's benefit is due to it being relatively far away from the spool during casts.
I have the new zillion and the newest met. I have KTF aftermarket spools for both (and a lot of other spools for the zillion).
I like both out of the box but I enjoy the zillion most. I find that the zillion more than matches the met on lighter end of the spectrum. The met does ok with light lures, but not great - in my hands at least.
I love shimanos baitcast design and looks but I am getting tired of shimanos differing spool sizes and braking systems.
Line guide design differences are of little importance to me.
How do you like the ktf spools in the new zillion compared to the sv boost spool?
It is freezing 🥶 - so I have yet to give the spools a real test in the new Zillion. My tests with the Zillion so far have been a few sessions in the backyard (boost spool) and one trip to a local stream (KTF). I rarely use “standard” 34mm daiwa spools as I throw mostly 5-7 gram lures. I plan on using the Zillion with my aftermarket spools for trout (most of my fishing) and with the boost spools for lake fishing, perch and pike (a couple of trips a year).

CFDoc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:07 pm

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by CFDoc » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:38 am

I consider myself very lucky in that I am able to get my fill of the drug that is fishing fairly high end rod/reels on an almost daily basis. There’s a 500 acre lake in my backyard, several other stocked ponds in the neighborhood, and I’m a close drive to some of the best bass lakes in MS, LA, AR, and TN. Not to mention the MS/LA marsh only a few hours south.

One thing that has become very obvious to me over the years is that the large design variable space of even basic fishing makes optimization an almost impossible task over a wide range of applications.

You can hand me top-of-the-line reels from all the major brands and I’ll hand you back several rod/line/bait combinations where all of them suck. Likewise, I’ll hand you another set of rod/line/bait combos that will dang near take you to your knees they fish so well.

So I can see it being very easy for a YT’er with an agenda to hammer home any biased point he/she desires.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 am

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:14 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:38 am
I consider myself very lucky in that I am able to get my fill of the drug that is fishing fairly high end rod/reels on an almost daily basis. There’s a 500 acre lake in my backyard, several other stocked ponds in the neighborhood, and I’m a close drive to some of the best bass lakes in MS, LA, AR, and TN. Not to mention the MS/LA marsh only a few hours south.

One thing that has become very obvious to me over the years is that the large design variable space of even basic fishing makes optimization an almost impossible task over a wide range of applications.

You can hand me top-of-the-line reels from all the major brands and I’ll hand you back several rod/line/bait combinations where all of them suck. Likewise, I’ll hand you another set of rod/line/bait combos that will dang near take you to your knees they fish so well.

So I can see it being very easy for a YT’er with an agenda to hammer home any biased point he/she desires.
You must live near the mo bootheel then

Jbc88
Angler
Angler
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by Jbc88 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:03 pm

Cracker wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:42 am
LowRange wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:11 am
It's Bootytrain. He's a former member and huge Shimano fan boy. He used to get triggered all the time on here an BR so he created his own YT channel. He uses some of his own reels like his engetsu and claims a subscriber sent it to him. He does do budget BFS stuff and aliexpress parts which is good content. I enjoy that.

Bootytrain?! If you are not kidding, the guys was a die hard Shimano fan period.
Now it kinda makes sense he smashes Daiwa in his tests, and Shimano is always the winner.
Lol that guy is a joke... you can tell he bashes on daiwa from his video. Like his last casting test between the metanium and the new zillion, dude has the braking on 8 for the zillion. 🤦‍♂️

User avatar
Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Blytheville, AR

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:16 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:14 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:38 am


You must live near the mo bootheel then
i do live very close to the bootheel in ne ar. you have to drive an hour away just to get arrested :lol:

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 am

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:19 am

Jason Penn wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:16 am
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:14 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:38 am


You must live near the mo bootheel then
i do live very close to the bootheel in ne ar. you have to drive an hour away just to get arrested :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I lived in the bootheel for 3 years, ne ar is much nicer
Last edited by doomtrprz71 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply